Gotway Monster 24mm Axle Nut Socket Solution

tihoa

ICE cars have oxygen sensors as well. The wire needs to remain in tact as sensor is tightened in the exhaust bung. The tool for that is a slotted socket commonly an crow's foot or a 22mm deep socket with a slot in the side. You don't need to disconnect the wire. Google oxygen sensor socket. Click on images. Tadaaa.

So I would cut a slot in a 24mm socket and have at it.

• Like 1

Yeah the O2 sensor sockets are nearly always 22mm plus because they are open ended they don't have nearly the same torque capacity. Fine for an o2 sensor but not sure it would be man enough for axle nuts which need to be done up FT.

The one that tihoa posted looks good although a lot of material has been removed which again reduces the torque capability. I'm not sure you need that much removed for our purposes so unless you want this easy option, I would say the aggro of slotting a normal socket with an angle grinder would probably produce the best, strongest option.

I slotted a socket made from hardened steel with an angle grinder. Quite a chore, but felt very rigid when I used all I got in me to loosen and tighten the MSX axle bolts.

The strut socket from the first post looks worth a try though if someone doesn’t have an angle grinder to use.

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

Yeah the O2 sensor sockets are nearly always 22mm plus because they are open ended they don't have nearly the same torque capacity. Fine for an o2 sensor but not sure it would be man enough for axle nuts which need to be done up FT.

The one that tihoa posted looks good although a lot of material has been removed which again reduces the torque capability. I'm not sure you need that much removed for our purposes so unless you want this easy option, I would say the aggro of slotting a normal socket with an angle grinder would probably produce the best, strongest option.

Oh, you're right about the torque capability! The strut nut socket for cars look like they're used around 60Nm / 44.25ft-lb. The Monster looks like it takes more...

1593068405_Annotation2019-11-10070853.thumb.jpg.aeea5bcfbbd9f2d486b289bd8285ca00.jpg

The nut deffo needs a lot more than 45ft/lb. I seem to remember that Marty had to redo it after the first time as it came loose again. I would be using a longer bar personally as well, probably 2' at least. The correct torque figure is anyones guess. I would suggest asking Gotway directly but then if they knew, we wouldnt be seeing them coming loose in the first place...

A 24mm thread in normal use on the lowest quality common spec metal can go up to around 600lb/ft (think crankshaft pulley bolts) but of course we are talking about a skinny nut, probably not the best metal, also on a hollow shaft (again probably poor quality) so nowhere near that figure but quite a bit more than 45 I would say. Its one of those applications where I think you just need to do it by 'feel' which to be fair is quite a good method in experienced hands!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

A bit late in the day of these old axle but problems buy these work great on my scooter

Podger Spanner MASO 19x24mm Hexagon Scaffold Ratchet Podgers Spanners,Stainless Steel,Double Head,Pointed Handle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KGBGC41/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_fabc_QRKEQNMM91CXEX9TEMZR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, stephen said:

A bit late in the day of these old axle but problems buy these work great on my scooter

Podger Spanner MASO 19x24mm Hexagon Scaffold Ratchet Podgers Spanners,Stainless Steel,Double Head,Pointed Handle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KGBGC41/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_fabc_QRKEQNMM91CXEX9TEMZR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Later is always better than never. Thank you!

• Like 1

I needed a 24mm for my Tesla, and all the O2 sensor sockets that I saw were smaller. I ended up just buying a 24mm deep socket and having at it with an angle grinder. It was quicker than expected; about 10 minutes work and it was done. Works perfectly! The strut nut socket above would make me nervous; there's not a lot of meat left on it compared to a reasonable small cutout on our home-made versions. If anyone needs one but doesn't have the tools to grind one down, let me know - I'm sure I can help you out. I also found that a bit of sharp impact (heavy rubber mallet etc.) seems to work well for loosening the nut; you have to break the loctite seal. Once it breaks that seal it's a lot easier to undo.

24socket.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

I ended up just buying a 24mm deep socket and having at it with an angle grinder. It was quicker than expected; about 10 minutes work and it was done.

Great job! Can’t believe it’s been over 3 years since I fabricated this one for Marty.

50926739308_c89b24ea8f_b.jpg

50927550667_c4c33d78eb_b.jpg

50927550672_91e72b07b6_b.jpg

Since your so great at metal work can you help me fix my barn door I smashed into yesterday? :crying:

50927446086_0e2118c710_b.jpg

• Like 1