First wheel MSX or Monster?

Hi, 

I’ve never ride a wheel before but I have good balance and I learn fast, I rode an electric longboard in the past and I currently ride a powerful off-road electric scooter. I like to go off-road and I ride with a group of people who also ride scooters and a variety of euc like a Z10, GT16, MSX, Monsters, etc... I’m thinking of buying my first wheel, I don’t want to buy a simple wheel to learn to ride  to replace it after 100 Km because I need much more. So my plan is to buy my first wheel to be my long term wheel, I’m thinking about the Msuper X or the Monster. Do you think that would be to much to start with?

My first wheel is a Monster, and I don't regret starting with it. I am thrilled with it, but it will bite you if you are careless. My ride area is gravel and mowed pasture, and anything less would not have worked for me. Evaluate where and how you are going to ride and base your choice on that. 

Ride safe!

• Like 2

if you already ride some other electric vehicles you already know the feeling...
my fist wheel is KS18XL and in about two hours I was riding it 20m straight

My recommendation for your is to get a MSX with 1800wh battery...

Build your day-to-day use case and share it with us and will make better recommendations for you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Msx for sure, monster is more like the special wheel for when you want something different, the msx is more versatile interms of size and trolley and other thing. It rides like a dream. Just remember to cover it up with some foam roll before practising so it can take a little beating, afterwards you will be happy you got a good wheel. Just don't go too fast in the first months, you will feel too confident. 

• Like 3

Considering you WILL drop that wheel, I’d evaluate the price of a replacement shell for both the MSX and monster; they run around $500 for a full replacement. 

Considering you can learn on a dirt cheap wheel for $300 and resell it for the same or a few bucks less, i’d strongly consider going that route. 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ben Kim said:

Considering you WILL drop that wheel, I’d evaluate the price of a replacement shell for both the MSX and monster; they run around $500 for a full replacement. 

Considering you can learn on a dirt cheap wheel for $300 and resell it for the same or a few bucks less, i’d strongly consider going that route. 

A roll of foam costs just a few bucks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

roll of foam gets chewed up upon impact. that stuff doesn’t do much protecting tbh (i speak from experience). 

Then use some other foam than ”that stuff” that you have experience with. You know, there are quite a few different kinds of foam available.

”The stuffs” that I have ”experience with” from various projects would hold up great for way more tumbles than any beginner will put his wheel through in two weeks.

Look for a 1/2 - 3/4” thick camping/hiking/tent/yoga mattress as a one good solution.

Or EVA foam of similiar thickness, although it might get a bit more expensive. Still not in the short-term-beginner-wheel territory though.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 1:21 PM, Ben Kim said:

No need for that lol :wacko:

Just get a foam roll, and a strap. Then you are good to go. Tape works too. But just cover that thing in foam. 

11 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

roll of foam gets chewed up upon impact. that stuff doesn’t do much protecting tbh (i speak from experience). 

Foam is literally made for shock absorption. So just the basic physichs in what you are saying. Is wrong. 

• Like 2

Dear thread initiator,

We are curios to see what you choose in the end ...and from where....:D
(I know that many ask what to buy but very few will actually post what have been chosen in the end)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My first wheel was (is) the MSX. I have no regrets, but it did take longer to learn than most people take on smaller wheels. I wouldn't suggest the monster, if you plan on using your wheel as a commuter, just because its often too big to be practical. Doesn't have a trolley handle, weighs ~ 60 lbs. If you want to go dangerously fast, or on really long trips, go for the monster. Otherwise, the MSX will not let you down.

I have the 2 models: MSX and Monster!!.

Both are big wheels!

You have to decide what you will need and use.

If you do not want a great wheel like the Monster .... the MSX is very practical in almost all areas!

And it will always leave you very satisfied!

I dated my Monster V2 and sold it to buy the new V3.

And until I received it, I have been dating my MSX;  and good feelings and memories have made me spend some good outings with my friends.😅😜

Although at a high pace .... like the Monster there is nothing!

It has no rival!🥰🥰🥰🤩

But the decision is yours!

If you can have both ... buy both...😅🤣🤙

I don't subscribe to the 'learner wheel' idea. I personally have never seen anyone decide they don't want to ride an EUC after learning, they do however almost always want more power and speed. So why bother? You can learn on any wheel, like you can learn to drive any car and transfer the skills to a different car or truck.I suggest you get an MSX unless you are planning very very long rides mostly on roads, get a Monster. 

• Like 1

A heavy wheel will be painful to learn on.

The same way a motorcyclist will not really be super confident starting out on a heavy motorcycle rather than going light to heavier incrementally, getting the basic feel before hanging a giant load on the "back".

That being said it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are committed to learning. The monster is a great long distance wheel but must be awful at maneuverability at slow speeds. (I never tried one)

Try to decide upon the range you are realistically going to need assuming you've learned how to ride and enjoy it. Can you stand up for 2 hours without pain in your feet from all the shaking? If you can't there is no reason for buying a 3000Wh wheel. Neither for going to the supermarket or your friends home.

Are you going to walk up stairs? Then a 25kg wheel might not be ideal.

Do you weigh 100kg or 60kg? There are usually very different requirements for those two riders. A 16" wheel is quite stable for a small rider. But an 18" wheel could be too twitchy (small) for a very large rider. It depends on you and your style, which is hard to predict what it's going to be.

• Like 2