Jumping with heavy 1600wh EUCs - Who can do it? - Show me your pads.

Today I glued temporary EPDM cell rubber pads to my 16X and tried to jump from a standing position.

After 15 minutes my ankles were already aching and more than 3-4 cm I couldn't get the heavy 24kg chunk off the ground. :efefc8626c:

Who gets higher and with which modifications? 

I guess I can't get around placing thicker pads directly over the foot, which would mean that I can't fold up the pedals anymore.

20191006-173045.jpg

34 minutes ago, stephen said:

I never can understand this every time i try to jump i just leave the pedals and the euc stays on the floor 😂😂

But you know you have to squeeze the wheel when you jump? :laughbounce2:

Without the pads I achieved with a lot of luck max. 1 cm, but only if I was at the beginning of the trip. :efefc8626c::efee612b4b:

10 minutes ago, buell47 said:

But you know you have to squeeze the wheel when you jump? :laughbounce2:

Without the pads I achieved with a lot of luck max. 1 cm, but only if I was at the beginning of the trip. :efefc8626c::efee612b4b:

Lol Squeeze the 16x is so slippy😁

1cm at least you get air 😂

• Like 1

Thanks for the opportunity.  We're going to have a lots of fun naming it...  I'll start with TURBO Pad.  Since it'll increase the performance of any EUC.  Great job

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Basically a <0.4 mm pad with silicone (?) dots that are sticky enough to twist your panties into a bunch!

Yes, I agree, it will twist for sure your pants and this is exactly the problem. :D

I like the idea, but I think it will not work, unless you wear just shorts (with or without knee protectors) or pants AND knee protectors. 

It will not work with pants only. 

I have, as it looks, exactly this grip pad in the upper inner part of my POC VPD 2.0 knee protector. That holds wonderfully on naked skin or also on my jeans. Unfortunately my jeans don't hold on to my naked legs and when I pull the knee protectors over my foot I push all my pants over my knee instead of the knee protectors over my pants. 

If I now squeeze the EUC between my legs to push it forward, it will twist my pants, but probably won't help exert more pressure.

At least if you don't wear knee protectors that keep it from twisting. If you don't like knee protectors, you have to wear shorts. 

But why do I talk so much? Who doesn't wear knee protectors? :efee612b4b:

If one prefer the original look and don't like to put a cover over the EUC, one could stick this grip pad on the knee protector. :thumbup:

Edited by buell47

3 hours ago, cyfur said:

I've been able to jump my 16X using some (very poorly cut) Kuji-style neoprene pads. No where near as high as Kuji, but curbs had become non-existent problems (until my shells developed some new, unrelated structural issues...)

20191010_114533.jpg

Don't worry... That should just buff out!   :facepalm:

Since I wasn't able to jump a much better with the pad like in the first post, I repositioned it to use it for a steep uphill ride. 

IMG-20191006-WA0023.jpg

On my next offroad trip through very curvy and bumpy single trails through the woods these pads disturbed me extremely while riding, although I stand very wide on the pedals (feet on the outside edge at body size 1.83cm). I then tore off the pads in the middle of the forest to be able to control the 16X easily between my legs again. 

Unfortunately I did not have a steep hill at my disposal to at least test the benefits there. But actually it doesn't matter, because the possible uphill benefit wouldn't be proportionate to obstruct me in such a way on all other ways. 

Did I make the pads too thick?

Don't know if thinner pads could make sense and then still fulfill their purpose? 

Edited by buell47

Ah okay :)

No, it was not a mouse pad. 

It was a 30mm thick square plate (I don't know if it was EPDM, foam rubber or cellular rubber). From this I cut these narrow stripes and rounded the surface completely. Maybe my material is a bit too hard?

Edited by buell47

3 hours ago, buell47 said:

Did I make the pads too thick?

If they are in the way when you don’t need them, I think you have them too far back. Mine are positioned on the MSX so that I must crouch a bit even on steep inclines to touch them. That way they are never in the way when I don’t need them.

• Like 2

Damn, I had them first 3 cm further forward so they were flush with the front pad. Then I had the feeling that they were too far forward and I couldn't reach them anymore despite squatting uphill. I will try it again further forward. Is 3 cm too high?

So, the next try. At least they don't bother me anymore while riding. :efee612b4b:

I optimized the lower pads again so that they don't hurt so much at the ankle. But now I have the problem that I can't even get the 16X 1cm off the ground, or I'm just too weak today. :crying:

20191012-174719.jpg

20191012-174901.jpg

20191012-174754.jpg

I set my Kuji pad so that top of my shoe is jammed into bottom of the pad.  Pedals fold fine, not a jumper myself.  Use it to leverage the pedals and stay on the pedals on bumps.  KS16X is so torquey don't need the upper pads like MSX.  I've lost count how many times it kept me from stepping off the pedals hitting potholes. 

EDIT:  I'm old school, prefer leather shoes with no play.  Leather can be pain to break-in but once it's broken in fits like a glove.  To help break-in wet the leather and put the shoe on until it dries.

Resized_20190925_215402.jpeg

Resized_20191008_115601.jpeg

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, buell47 said:

Pictures pls :)

IMG-3710.jpg

I have since made the rear part steeper and more forward, to grab my legs instantly when braking.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2