Experienced Unicyclist - First EUC - Mten3 vs 16x

Equilibrium

Hello,

Thanks for reading and for your help! Wanting to buy an EUC.

• Experience:
  1. Rode unicycles (non-motorized) a lot previously.
  2. Could ride backwards, glide with no feet on the pedals and ride down sets of stairs on a 20" wheel.
  3. Test road some random guy's 14s and felt relatively comfortable (could turn, go off a curb, etc).

• Needs:
  1. Last mile commuting from car in the city.
  2. Small errands in the city of Philadelphia (hair cut, going to the gym, visiting friends, going to the post office, grocery store for something small, etc).
  3. Between 1 and 7 miles of commuting typically. May on very rare occasion go to 10 - 15 miles or more just getting outside and exploring.
  4. No off-roading besides grass fields occasionally.
  5. Traveling across campus at graduate school.

• My Description: 
  1. 28 years old
  2. 5'8" (173cm)
  3. 160lbs (73kg) athletic build

Mten3 (+): It would be nice to save $1,000 and get the Mten3. It seems very portable. I see people saying its not a good wheel for begginers though.

Mten3 (-): I don't know about reliability, but haven't seen to many complaints. The wheel would be more subject to instability of bumps and speed.

16x (+): It would be nice to have the 16x speed, stability, possible safety (although I know smaller wheels usually stop faster). It is cool looking to me.

16x (-): It is over twice the weight. It might look funny wheeling into class with a bunch of other professionals. I'll have to carry it up a few flights of stairs a few times a week (50lbs really isn't too bad to me though). It's not as compact.

Any input would be appreciated!

• Like 1

I think I'd recommend the MCM5 because of it's small size yet powerful motor. I use mine a lot for last-mile type commuting yet it's perfectly adept at a 10-mile ride to. Trolley handle is great and the wheel isn't too heavy.

The Mten3 is fantastic, but once you start mentioning ~7-mile rides, that size wheel gets tiring to ride.

The 16X is total overkill if those are truly your needs.

For the same money as the MCM5 you could get some other wheels too, but at a lost of a bigger wheel.

• Like 1

For similar money, KingSong 16S and Gotway Tesla would also be good all-around wheels that are still pretty compact, though I don't think I'd want to carry either one up several flights of stairs very often.

Edited by neurokinetik
  • Like 1

get an mten3!

I also have ridden pedaling unicycles for 12 years (20" up to 36") and I love the mten3. It is excellent for beginners (but it sounds like you are already a skilled rider if you can go off a curb)

You will be able to take full advantage of the wheel with it's quick steering and light weight.

Add a trolley handle, if you like. It weighs 22lb, for me I don't have a trolley handle I just carry it. How "athletic" are you, really?

I have personally taught 4 people to ride using the mten3 in less than 30 minutes each

(get some larger pedals for it though) My size 11 feet were ridiculous on it. But they're super easy to swap 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The Mten3 is fantastic, but once you start mentioning ~7-mile rides, that size wheel gets tiring to ride.

Not sure if you're using the stock pedals, but with MSX pedals I am very happy for full range runs on the mten3. Yesterday I did a range test in "real world conditions" and just barely got 18 miles, even with deliberate care to avoid potholes. My feet were happy the whole time! Thus I think it's an excellent commuter, and it's somehow the cheapest EUC on the market (of reputable standards). It amazes me! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Not sure if you're using the stock pedals, but with MSX pedals I am very happy for full range runs on the mten3. Yesterday I did a range test in "real world conditions" and just barely got 18 miles, even with deliberate care to avoid potholes. My feet were happy the whole time! Thus I think it's an excellent commuter, and it's somehow the cheapest EUC on the market (of reputable standards). It amazes me! 

It's not the pedals, it's navigating streets & sidewalks on the super small tire for 7-miles that gets emotionally tiring after awhile. I wouldn't want to commute like that every day on the Mten3. ~3-miles would be my limit. Otherwise, give me a bigger tire.

• Like 3

MCM5. Compact and powerful 14 inch wheel, has a trolley handle and cut off switch. Ideal for steep roads/hills should you need it. You won't go wrong with KS16S or Tesla either but MCM5 is top on my list for your need. Pad it up well until you get confident though. 

Good luck with your purchase. 

• Like 2

You guys all make such great points! It's awesome to seeing that you all seem to own multiple wheels! 

I really appreciate the thoughtful responses.

I am doing some more research on the other models. Also, when I go to the gym, I am going to carry some dumbbells up stairs that weigh the same as an EUC of various sizes to see what I'd be comfortable with. I've even cut some cardboard out of the size of some of the EUC's.

A Tesla seems to have the best of many of these worlds. I don't think the 16x would be the best move for me in this case with the points you all make. A MTen3 is definitely still a consideration. I have pretty small feet at a size 9 and it'd probably do what I need it to. I could always upgrade later and the roads around here are smooth and nice.

I'll keep you all updated on my choices!

Cheers!

Edit: That Tesla sure is appealing!

Edited by Equilibrium
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

You guys all make such great points! It's awesome to seeing that you all seem to own multiple wheels! 

I really appreciate the thoughtful responses.

I am doing some more research on the other models. Also, when I go to the gym, I am going to carry some dumbbells up stairs that weigh the same as an EUC of various sizes to see what I'd be comfortable with. I've even cut some cardboard out of the size of some of the EUC's.

A Tesla seems to have the best of many of these worlds. I don't think the 16x would be the best move for me in this case with the points you all make. A MTen3 is definitely still a consideration. I have pretty small feet at a size 9 and it'd probably do what I need it to. I could always upgrade later and the roads around here are smooth and nice.

I'll keep you all updated on my choices!

Cheers!

Edit: That Tesla sure is appealing!

I think a new Tesla is a great choice and I probably would have bought it over the KS knowing what I know now.  However, I bought the 16S and now with nearly 3k miles it’s been awesome so definitely a recommendation.  The trolley handle is perfectly balanced and so easy to ride.  The only issues/desires that I had are solved in the latest edition, solid trolley handle and lift cutoff switch.  

Trust me, for your needs the tesla V2 is the BEST bargain you can get.  There is no other wheel for that price with that performance, you will never get bored of it.  The trolley is decent, it costs way less than the 16x and has similar or better performance.  The 16x has a wider tire so that's a pro for 16x in my opinion.  

The mten3 would work, but once you mentioned 10-15 miles...that kind of ruled it out.  I do like the mten3 for good pavement and short trips, it's just so nimble and fun...also it fits in a backpack!  Just a cute wheel haha.  Check little one min clip where I take it out of a bag.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, photorph said:

Trust me, for your needs the tesla V2 is the BEST bargain you can get.  There is no other wheel for that price with that performance, you will never get bored of it.  The trolley is decent, it costs way less than the 16x and has similar or better performance.  The 16x has a wider tire so that's a pro for 16x in my opinion.  

The mten3 would work, but once you mentioned 10-15 miles...that kind of ruled it out.  I do like the mten3 for good pavement and short trips, it's just so nimble and fun...also it fits in a backpack!  Just a cute wheel haha.  Check little one min clip where I take it out of a bag.

Love that video :cheers:

Hey, can you drop a link to the bag that you are using in the video? Thanks.

BTW, can you actually get 25 to 30 miles on yours? Total impossibility at my riding weight of ~180 pounds.

Edited by Marty Backe

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Love that video :cheers:

Hey, can you drop a link to the bag that you are using in the video? Thanks.

BTW, can you actually get 25 to 30 miles on yours? Total impossibility at my riding weight of ~180 pounds.

Of course I can't actually get 25 miles of range, I'm 140 lbs and I think I would get to 25 if the stars aligned.  Realistically though, I never did a range test on this.  I ride this for fun and short trips mainly.  

The bag is just a cheapo medium sized amazon brand backpack that i got as a gift, so don't have an exact link.  I've found the mten3 to fit in any medium to large sized bag that is open and doesn't have compartments.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, photorph said:

Of course I can't actually get 25 miles of range, I'm 140 lbs and I think I would get to 25 if the stars aligned.  Realistically though, I never did a range test on this.  I ride this for fun and short trips mainly.  

The bag is just a cheapo medium sized amazon brand backpack that i got as a gift, so don't have an exact link.  I've found the mten3 to fit in any medium to large sized bag that is open and doesn't have compartments.  

Oh, OK. Personally I don't like quoting spec's because it can give a false impression of capability to people that don't know better.

Yeah, I could tell that it was an Amazon Basics bag, but there's nothing like a part number to remove any ambiguity as to what will fit. The bag looks perfect for the Mten3 :thumbup:

Oh, OK. Personally I don't like quoting spec's because it can give a false impression of capability to people that don't know better.

Yeah, I could tell that it was an Amazon Basics bag, but there's nothing like a part number to remove any ambiguity as to what will fit. The bag looks perfect for the Mten3 :thumbup:

Marty, check out Kriega bags too. I ride motorcycles a fair amount and they are for that purpose. A 25L would probably fit it tightly:

https://kriega.us/r25-backpack

The bags are so reliable though and the way they are secured to your body, it manages the weight of objects much better.

6 hours ago, photorph said:

Thanks for the input and video! Really cool wheel!

I like to refer to range in terms of top speed. i.e. How far can this wheel go, while sitting at top speed (with a rider under 200lbs)

For the mten3, from my testing. Range at full speed is about 12-15 miles. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

Marty, check out Kriega bags too. I ride motorcycles a fair amount and they are for that purpose. A 25L would probably fit it tightly:

https://kriega.us/r25-backpack

The bags are so reliable though and the way they are secured to your body, it manages the weight of objects much better.

Very cool. I'm checking that out now. I love super-quality stuff like this. Even if I don't get one for carrying a wheel, these look great for a general purpose EUC backpack. I really don't like the one I've been using.

Thanks! :cheers:

I have an mten3 and am a beginner.  (1 month riding).  I could ride the mten3 before my 14S.  I thought it was very easy to learn.  The Mten3 is perfect for short distance and running errands.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

Does anyone know if the Gotway Telsa's LEDs can be turned off?

That seems to be the general consensus about the Mten3! Still deciding.

The Mten3 is the only Gotway wheel where you have no control over the ring LEDs.

On my Tesla, the top section of LEDs, that represent the battery level, are always on. The flashing ring LEDs can be turned off.

Gotway does change the firmware so the newest Tesla's may behave differently.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Mten3 is the only Gotway wheel where you have no control over the ring LEDs.

On my Tesla, the top section of LEDs, that represent the battery level, are always on. The flashing ring LEDs can be turned off.

Gotway does change the firmware so the newest Tesla's may behave differently.

Awesome! The flash side ring is what I was referring to. Thanks for the information. I’m leading towards a Tesla.

• Like 1