Joining a large cycling event- open to PEV's

Czestnut

So an event showed up in my Facebook feed, and I responded to the city that's hosting it if e-Bikes and EUC's are permitted, and they replied that we are welcome.

Now I have several times over the years either surpassed road bikers wearing full spandex gear with them saying something snarky like I'm cheating or whatever they say with their pretentious hobby that's likely even more expensive than mine.  I reserved my ticket for the longest range circuit the city has created, 60km, which my EUC has absolutely no trouble doing on one charge.

Have any one of you done something similar, give me some advice if you ever faced these pretentious twats, and have any one-liners I can respond to them when I breeze past them, especially uphills?

Thanks!  
https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/about/events/signature-city-event/markham-cycling-day/?fbclid=IwAR2DQ4hkc5q42mbTcYzVW6bmrJJrpwHB42A9DxWnG2FzzoTn-0vT_A6iBl4

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Czestnut said:

So an event showed up in my Facebook feed, and I responded to the city that's hosting it if e-Bikes and EUC's are permitted, and they replied that we are welcome.

Now I have several times over the years either surpassed road bikers wearing full spandex gear with them saying something snarky like I'm cheating or whatever they say with their pretentious hobby that's likely even more expensive than mine.  I reserved my ticket for the longest range circuit the city has created, 60km, which my EUC has absolutely no trouble doing on one charge.

Have any one of you done something similar, give me some advice if you ever faced these pretentious twats, and have any one-liners I can respond to them when I breeze past them, especially uphills?

Thanks!  
https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/about/events/signature-city-event/markham-cycling-day/?fbclid=IwAR2DQ4hkc5q42mbTcYzVW6bmrJJrpwHB42A9DxWnG2FzzoTn-0vT_A6iBl4

1. The whole pretentious thing is probably in your head - assume the best in people.
  2. I wouldn't really hear them since I would be snacking on a bag of flaming hot cheetos and a diet mountain dew
  3. Best way to destroy an enemy, is to make them your friend - I offer cheetos as I stroll next to them
Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Czestnut said:

I've actually had three or four occasions where they were very happy to follow in my slipstream on the uphills, especially when there's a lot of wind, so you could offer them that. :)

Edited by Tazarinho
  • Like 1

I agree with @chrisjunlee; kill'em with kindness.  When I first got the wheel I was terrified of being considered "that douche on the wheel" but all that went away when I just started waving at people I pass by.  When I do that, I noticed a lot more people react very positively as I go by.  Kids wave, their parents love that their kids are getting a bit of a show, older seniors will kind of cackle "that's neat!".

But back to the bicyclists, most are good people.  But lycra warriors that bark at you will have barked at you regardless, wheel or not.  I've almost gotten killed twice biking on Burke Gilman by bicyclists that look like they're practicing for the tour de france.  Both times I was in the right, but some bicyclists hate nothing more (literally, this is the top of their list of hated things) than to be passed up.  I don't know what motivates this particular community; if they're competing on strava or some other forum leaderboard or what.  But they like to use largely pedestrian trails as their private raceways.  Flat out ignore them.  They're bitter, hyperinsulated people and are surprisingly aggressive.  If they try to bite your head off, just realize they practically do this to freaking paramedics too. Paramedic on reddit once gave a story about how they were blocking part of Burke Gilman to help up a woman who fainted, and bicyclists going by shouted "GET OFF THE FUCKING TRAIL" to paramedics.

Edited by leadfeathers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, leadfeathers said:

I agree with @chrisjunlee; kill'em with kindness.  When I first got the wheel I was terrified of being considered "that douche on the wheel" but all that went away when I just started waving at people I pass by.  When I do that, I noticed a lot more people react very positively as I go by.  Kids wave, their parents love that their kids are getting a bit of a show, older seniors will kind of cackle "that's neat!".

But back to the bicyclists, most are good people.  But lycra warriors that bark at you will have barked at you regardless, wheel or not.  I've almost gotten killed twice biking on Burke Gilman by bicyclists that look like they're practicing for the tour de france.  Both times I was in the right, but some bicyclists hate nothing more (literally, this is the top of their list of hated things) than to be passed up.  I don't know what motivates this particular community; if they're competing on strava or some other forum leaderboard or what.  But they like to use largely pedestrian trails as their private raceways.  Flat out ignore them.  They're bitter, hyperinsulated people and are surprisingly aggressive.  If they try to bite your head off, just realize they practically do this to freaking paramedics too. Paramedic on reddit once gave a story about how they were blocking part of Burke Gilman to help up a woman who fainted, and bicyclists going by shouted "GET OFF THE FUCKING TRAIL" to paramedics.

Oh another note, I've probably been on the extreme end of incidents in my 2 month history of EUCs. Getting assaulted twice and run off the road in suburbia.

It's interesting to note that it's all disappeared once I picked up the Nikola. Either I'm zipping too fast to hear complaints, or, I'm no longer that easy underpowered target to pick on. Bullies pick on the weak to elevate themselves - not much they can do but shut up when you're emasculating with their own value system.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 1

Most cyclists are great but I did meet one like this.

I was on the 18XL and he was cycling his a** off to try and lose me, which of course wasn't possible as the run was all either pretty much level ground or slightly uphill.

He was working so hard to stay ahead, and given that he was maintaining a pretty decent speed, I thought I'd be polite and not pass him.

After about 2.5km we had to stop for a light and he made a snarky remark about how much exercise I wasn't getting.

My general approach is try and turn the conversation to the notion that bikes and wheels are allies in the fight to reduce the number of cars on the road, and get better bike path infrastructure.

Often you don't you don't really get the chance though. The two times I have met snarky cyclists (that time and one other) they said their piece and then took off like they were terrified bunnies afraid I was going to run them down and give them some what for in return.

Also, I did attend one city-held cycling event after asking if alternative transport were okay. They were very welcoming. I invited another wheeler along and he was of the mindset that for sure there would be fisticuffs with cyclist participants before the day was done. 

He could not have been more wrong.

They were all very friendly and of the same mindset as most other people we meet -- what is that thing, boy that sure is cool etc. 

It might have helped that I try to be a bit outgoing in such events, but not too much.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, leadfeathers said:

"Huh. You're right.  What you're doing looks pretty hard."

Peels away at 40mph effortlessly

Actually, that's pretty much what I did say in the moment -- "It's not nearly so much as riding your bike" is what I think I said.

• Like 1

I use both EUC and bicycles almost everyday. I ride to work and back home on my EUC. Then I take my cargo bike to pickup my daughter from daycare. I am just waiting for the day when GotWay (only they can do this) come up with a two or three person unicycle so I can lose the bike entirely. 

• Like 1

I'll say one other thing about bike tours for the public; I think someday the organizers of such events might try and include a person or two riding wheels.

On that event I mentioned above the group came down a slightly steepish road and an older lady wiped out near the top. All the cyclists of the group looked back up the hill, and at each other, and nobody moved. I and my friend hopped on our wheels and were back up the hill in about 10 seconds to render assistance.

The ability to get anywhere rapidly and carry stuff at the same time can be quite useful on such occasions.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Most cyclists are great but I did meet one like this.

I was on the 18XL and he was cycling his a** off to try and lose me, which of course wasn't possible as the run was all either pretty much level ground or slightly uphill.

He was working so hard to stay ahead, and given that he was maintaining a pretty decent speed, I thought I'd be polite and not pass him.

After about 2.5km we had to stop for a light and he made a snarky remark about how much exercise I wasn't getting.

"I'm here for a good time, not for a long time!"  is my reply.  Or, "If I'm doing work then I damned well better be getting paid for it".

Sounds very similar to my one negative cyclist encounter:

Him and his buddy were cruising along at about 22mph, looking as though they were trying very hard to go fast.  I blew by both of them at around 25mph,  (they were of course, riding two abreast) and I hear one of them say something like "that's not right" and saw one of them go full sprint to try to keep up, standing up in the pedals and jerking the bike side-to-side.  I stayed ahead easily until we reached the next pedestrian crossing where I had to stop and wait for traffic.  He pulls up next to me and says "keep that thing on the road".  Then takes off as fast as he is capable.  I stay behind him, but keeping a safe distance, while he proceeds to go flat out with a complete disregard for the pedestrians, dog walkers, and parents with small kids.  I slow down for all of them, but catch back up to him once clear.  Eventually he blows though a pedestrian crossing that I'm not about to risk getting hit by a car to make, and that's the last I see of him.

The vast majority of my encounters have been positive, though.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:
  1. The whole pretentious thing is probably in your head - assume the best in people.
  2. I wouldn't really hear them since I would be snacking on a bag of flaming hot cheetos and a diet mountain dew
  3. Best way to destroy an enemy, is to make them your friend - I offer cheetos as I stroll next to them

Thanks to you and others who responded for shedding light on my previous negative experiences, and I will keep a positive mental attitude during the event.  I'll just save any one liners for the a-holes not responding to kindness.

• Like 2

One other thing is that if you wave to most people and they wave back, your riding experience will have more positive experiences to outweigh the one negative during your ride. Makes it easier to dismiss the occasional asshole and it won't sit on your brain all day. It'll help reinforce in your mind that most people are indeed good people  that are just going about their day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If not for the 91km ride from the previous day, and the need to leave my house at 5AM to make the 8AM start for this one, I probably would have come out for it.   Courtney's feet must have felt better than mine, lol.

Just curious, what top speed did the front-runners hit?

Edited by neurokinetik

22 hours ago, neurokinetik said:

If not for the 91km ride from the previous day, and the need to leave my house at 5AM to make the 8AM start for this one, I probably would have come out for it.   Courtney's feet must have felt better than mine, lol.

Just curious, what top speed did the front-runners hit?

Yeah, Courtney's feet were killing.  Mine too on long stretches without resting.  The only rest we had were at traffic lights, otherwise we shifted weight from one foot to another on those long stretches to get the blood flowing.

• Like 1

Photos are out...  neither picture of me are very flattering.

The wide angle third pic on this page features Courtney and I's asses on the upper right.

The next solo pic of me features my keg under my shirt :P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofmarkham/albums/72157711029222422/with/48781845983/

• Like 1