Video - three ways to switch to the opposite direction in a narrow hallway or sidewalk on a euc

John Eucist

Nice video! 

there is a fourth way. A combination of the regular turning curve and the twist. I often do that when i am not sure if i can make the curve as it is narrow. I start making the curve and if i can complete it, i do. If i see i am not making the full curve, a finish it off with a small twist at the end

the fifth way would be ( but i guess its cheating a bit) if you step off with your left foot and do a small radius circle around with your right foot still on the wheel

UyNfnlA.png

cant read chinese (yet) but the ascii art used is awesome! :lol:

Sorry for that, the text simply says there is a loading error, please retry or download some client app.
I cannot upload video to youtube or vimeo.-_-

Edit: I converted the vid to .gif anination files. 

180twist.gif

180turn.gif

180reverse.gif

• 8 months later...
51 minutes ago, Marvin Ong said:

@John Eucist How long you been riding before you were able to ride that hallway?

Well I learned to ride a little over a year before I did that video.  However, I really ride infrequently.  Sometimes I go for several months without riding.  Basically once you learn to ride backwards then you can do all those things.  Some people ride 100x more than me but never bothered to learn to ride backwards because it's not really necessary.  It's all a matter of purposely trying to learn it.

Age and body strength may well be against me. As @Cloud said above I can add a twist to a lean to tighten a turn (for some reaso I need to do this more to the right than left) but I cannot twist more than (say) 45 degrees or so unless I grab something to give me leaverage.

What I would like to ask @John Eucist, @zlymex Or others is does the tire pressure need to be very high to make it easier to spin?

I have been trying to practice backwards but I wanted to do it on grass so fails hurt less. We had the wettest winter in years so  the ground was way too soft and I only started to practice in May with garden chairs to grab and mark a straight line. I just got to about 10-15 feet under some sort of control when we have had almost a mini monsoon (in the UK!) and half my garden is now under water. Oh well, at least I'm making some progress.

BTW years ago we dug out the rusted remains of a Second World War bomb shelter in the middle of the lawn. The ground than settled and there is now an about 4 Metre wide bowl shaped depression (this week more a pond) whizzing around that is great fun until I get dizzy :-). I REALLY wish I could do that backwards!

37 minutes ago, Keith said:

Age and body strength may well be against me.

I'm 49.  How old are you? :)

What I would like to ask @John Eucist, @zlymex Or others is does the tire pressure need to be very high to make it easier to spin?

I usually inflate to 40 psi and use that for all occasions.  I weigh 70 kg.  I may let psi fall to 35 before I re-inflate.  In theory the higher the pressure the easier to twist I suppose.  When you twist you need to create a little momentary "weightlessness" to help it just like short swings in skiing.  And obviously the smoother the surface, in theory, the easier.

I have been trying to practice backwards but I wanted to do it on grass so fails hurt less.

ALWAYS wear a helmet when first LEARNING to ride backwards.  Going backwards has the highest chance of smacking the back of your head on the ground.  That said, grass seems pretty difficult to learn on.  Just wear a helmet and practice on smooth surfaces.  Find a corridor just like the one in my video so that you can hold on to the wall or sides while practicing.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

I have been trying to practice backwards but I wanted to do it on grass so fails hurt less.

IMO grass is not easy for backwards...too rough.

I felt down once on asphalt while learning backwards and it appeared very smooth fall - no wrists, elbows, knees involved. I managed to roll on my back, the speed was like 2-3 km/h.

Better wear a helmet and put something thick&soft on the tail bone if you do not have the "roll" instinct.

@John Eucist, @DS, thank you, I hadn't thought about trying to reduce my weight before twisting, or using a helmet as I'm going so slowly. Both really good points I'll try both in my local park on the paths :-)

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

I'm 49.  How old are you? :)

I'm 60 years old BTW, 75kg and usually have my tyre around 45 p.s.i. So tyre pressure should be fine.

On 6/18/2016 at 8:10 PM, Keith said:

I'm 60 years old

One of our active moderators is same age as you and I'm sure at least dozens of members older.  Something about eucs attracts older people (median age probably 47 or so... EDIT: it has gotten "younger" ever since the "age poll" has been pinned and featured yesterday).  I guess it's mainly because we can afford it.  :D

I've, just now, pinned and featured this old poll back up to get some new data on newer members.  Forum membership was probably a third of what it is now or less.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

I started the backwards practice by going some 20-50cm backwards each time when I was going to a stop, as the final phase of braking. Sort-of a smooth and rather slow one-time idle. I believe that was pretty useful and requires no particular setup for practicing. The main additional challenge when going backwards for a longer distances is the need to look behind which requires to take a somewhat awkward position. 

I don't wear a helmet, mainly because I rarely go faster than 20km/h and it seems that a helmet would be as beneficial to a pedestrian or a car driver as it is to a cyclist, and I never wear a helmet when I walk or drive. Using a helmet on the sidewalk has to me also a slightly offensive touch towards the unprotected pedestrians.

5 hours ago, Keith said:

Age and body strength may well be against me. As @Cloud said above I can add a twist to a lean to tighten a turn (for some reaso I need to do this more to the right than left) but I cannot twist more than (say) 45 degrees or so unless I grab something to give me leaverage.

I have been trying to practice backwards but I wanted to do it on grass so fails hurt less. We had the wettest winter in years so  the ground was way too soft and I only started to practice in May with garden chairs to grab and mark a straight line. I just got to about 10-15 feet under some sort of control when we have had almost a mini monsoon (in the UK!) and half my garden is now under water. Oh well, at least I'm making some progress.

BTW years ago we dug out the rusted remains of a Second World War bomb shelter in the middle of the lawn. The ground than settled and there is now an about 4 Metre wide bowl shaped depression (this week more a pond) whizzing around that is great fun until I get dizzy :-). I REALLY wish I could do that backwards!

1.  Tire pressure affect the twist as well as the regular riding tremendously. You need to find your own  perfect tire pressure that suits your weight, how smooth you want your ride to be , and how manouverable/ responsive you want the wheel to be. In summary and in general, 

the heavier the rider ---- the higher the pressure needed

higher pressure ==== better manouverability,

hight pressure =======more responsive control of the wheel,. On lower pressure, the wheel will feel " washy" , it will feel like it continues to go in a certain direction and it takes longer to control it to change direction.

higher pressure =======bumpier ride on obstacles like sidewalk concrete panels at slightly different elevators, curb cuts, etc,, however if the pressure gets too low, the ride will become bumpy again as you will start feeling the bumps with the rim of the wheel as the tire is too soft, so need to find the perfect preferrable pressure

higher pressure ====== less friction ,so less energy/ battery used

2. Dont practice riding backward on grass. Grass is uneven so it adds difficulty to learning, also makes it more likely for you to fall. If you ride forward well, then you are not likely to fall when practicing going backwards. Choose the smoothest pavement you can find , enough empty space around you and wear protective gear

Archived