Your top 3 unique must have wheels? 🌟

25 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

$917 with free shipping right?

I just got mine in yesterday. It's working great!

From the same eBay seller?

Edited by Kens

13 hours ago, seage said:

If it explodes, the plan forms a shield around you to protect you from the blast. It 

It guarantees parts and labor if anything should go wrong. For $34 it's not a bad idea considering the plan is by a major insurance carrier (All State) and the reviews online for this plan were quite good. Paying for peace of mind I guess. I am a capable DIYer if anything. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:42 PM, Marty Backe said:

Right right right. Hi again :D

After I'm retired in a few months I'll have more time to hopefully be less confused :)

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! For some strange reason, I don't think you'll have any problem staying busy!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, chrisjunlee said:

The 3" wide tire is just perfection - allows me to comfortably cruise at 25+ mph despite it being a 10" wheel.

Wow! That is quite impressive for a new rider! 25 mph = just over 40 kph! How much above 25 mph is your + ?

Granted, I don't have very many miles under my belt since I'm also a new rider and I've been quite busy lately, so when I have a chance to ride, it's normally just too tempting for me to jump onto my MSX... but when I do hop on my MTen3, I'm not yet keen to ride it for any significant distances at speeds beyond 30 kph, which is only 18.6 mph. Aside from times when I'm riding on very smooth sections of road that I'm very familiar with, I usually limit my MTen3 cruising speed to 25 kph.  

So what's your secret to being able to "comfortably cruise" on your MTen3 at speeds in excess of 25 mph (40 kph)? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, andrew900nyc said:

Granted, I don't have very many miles under my belt since I'm also a new rider and I've been quite busy lately, so when I have a chance to ride, it's normally just too tempting for me to jump onto my MSX... but when I do hop on my MTen3, I'm not yet keen to ride it for any significant distances at speeds beyond 30 kph, which is only 18.6 mph. Aside from times when I'm riding on very smooth sections of road that I'm very familiar with, I usually limit my MTen3 cruising speed to 25 kph.  

So what's your secret to being able to "comfortably cruise" on your MTen3 at speeds in excess of 25 mph (40 kph)? 

I conflated the wheel capabilities vs my own use 😬.

IIRC my 80% is cruising at 15mph on the mten3, that’s on perfect pavement and requires vigilance. My 90% is going at 20mph on bike trails. This is with full safety gear.

Ever since getting the MCM5, I’ve relegated the mten3 to a “<1 mile ride with no gear or helmet” errand wheel, so I average 8-10mph.

My only tip: putting my feet a bit forward (so center of gravity is slightly forward biased) helped minimize wobbles at speed.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Upvote 1

On 7/13/2019 at 12:40 AM, wheeliewonka said:

It guarantees parts and labor if anything should go wrong. For $34 it's not a bad idea considering the plan is by a major insurance carrier (All State) and the reviews online for this plan were quite good. Paying for peace of mind I guess. I am a capable DIYer if anything. 

Gave you your first upvote. Welcome to the community! 🤗 

5 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

I conflated the wheel capabilities vs my own use 😬.

IIRC my 80% is cruising at 15mph on the mten3, that’s on perfect pavement and requires vigilance. My 90% is going at 20mph on bike trails. This is with full safety gear.

Ever since getting the MCM5, I’ve relegated the mten3 to a “<1 mile ride with no gear or helmet” errand wheel, so I average 8-10mph.

My only tip: putting my feet a bit forward (so center of gravity is slightly forward biased) helped minimize wobbles at speed.

Oh, ok, now I know that you're not some sort of MTen3-riding super-human!

MTen3's are great for a lot of things, but I don't think high-speed riding is one of them!

I'll have to give that tip a try. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, andrew900nyc said:

Oh, ok, now I know that you're not some sort of MTen3-riding super-human!

MTen3's are great for a lot of things, but I don't think high-speed riding is one of them!

I'll have to give that tip a try. Thanks! 

Let me know if it makes a difference for you :)

On 7/9/2019 at 1:01 AM, ir_fuel said:

Not really, I think that only applies when you actually have a "steer". By pushing (or pulling, whatever floats your boat) you initiate a tilt because the rear wheel pushes forward in a fixed direction which makes the vehicle turn. Hard to do that without handlebars and only 1 wheel.

AFAICS is the principle of countersteering not different for bicycles and unicycle: by steering the (front-)wheel the contact point is displaced while the CoG is not (or rather to a lesser extend), which leads to the vehicle (including rider) falling to one side hence forcing it into a curve. When one uses a handle bar, a saddle, or foot plates for steering (i.e. twisting) the wheel doesn't change the principle of it.