Your top 3 unique must have wheels? 🌟

4 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

I've only had my 18xl a short time, and I only have a couple hundred miles on it. But one thing I've noticed is that the bumps are pretty hard. More comfort would be cool. With my weight (265 lbs), I have to run the tire pressure at 50+ psi otherwise it feels ...wrong.. squishy. I mean it's comfortable, but I'm worried about the tire deforming too much. In any case, I was eyeing the MSX because I figured a larger, fatter tire I could run at a lower PSI, and it would soak up the bumps better. 

But what do you guys think? Would the MSX feel pretty much the same? I'd probably have to run the Nikola / 16X at similar pressures (wider but smaller) as the 18xl? Maybe just go for the Monster instead? I do like the torque of the 18xl, and that's a concern for the Monster, also no trolley handle sounds annoying. But maybe I'd get more torque out of the Monster (than a lighter rider) because when I weight shift, I've got more weight to shift?

Have you considered the Monster? That has to be the best wheel for robust guys like yourself. The diameter and size of the tire is huge. No other wheel has as comfortable a ride.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You never know, but I can't help be concerned with her getting hurt. Sometimes we worry much more about our loved ones than we do ourselves.

As much as I'd love for a significant other to ride an EUC (or any PEV for that matter), I'm not going to force it down their throats.  She was somewhat open to the idea of an e-scooter, but still hated them.  Regarding EUCs "I have no interest in breaking my face".  My 6 year old son is scared of EUCs too.  I was like hey wanna sit on it "NO THATS DANGEROUS DADDY" I suppose I will continue being a lone ranger.  :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Have you considered the Monster? That has to be the best wheel for robust guys like yourself.

Okay, good to know! Curious why you think that's the best choice. Bigger wheel is a better match, the dynamics match better? I also notice that the Monster is popular. I mean on group rides, the Monster seems to be well represented when it would otherwise appear to be a niche wheel. 

The thing is, tilting / twisting / lifting it would be less of a problem for me because I have the mass to do it. To be honest, the 18xl seems kind of small sometimes.

Edited by erk1024

3 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Okay, good to know! Curious why you think that's the best choice. Bigger wheel is a better match, the dynamics match better? I also notice that the Monster is popular. I mean on group rides, the Monster seems to be well represented when it would otherwise appear to be a niche wheel. 

The thing is, tilting / twisting / lifting it would be less of a problem for me. To be honest, the 18xl seems kind of small sometimes.

How tall are you?

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

How tall are you?

I'm just a hair under 6' tall, but I'm also thick (just ask the wife), size 14 feet, etc. Yes, my feet hang off both sides of the largest pedals. LOL

FootPositionAfterPompano.thumb.jpg.3ae06f4160dac763a81343f6dc28eea9.jpg

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

I'm just a hair under 6' tall, but I'm also thick (just ask the wife), size 14 feet, etc. Yes, my feet hang off both sides of the largest pedals. LOL

FootPositionAfterPompano.thumb.jpg.3ae06f4160dac763a81343f6dc28eea9.jpg

The Monster really seems like the best wheel for bigger guys. The tire and ride is amazingly comfortable. Once you get in tune with the Monster it is very easy to control and is not cumbersome. For you I would probably swap the default pedals with the Nikola pedals, the largest ones that Gotway makes.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The Monster really seems like the best wheel for bigger guys. The tire and ride is amazingly comfortable. Once you get in tune with the Monster it is very easy to control and is not cumbersome. For you I would probably swap the default pedals with the Nikola pedals, the largest ones that Gotway makes.

Thanks for the advice! I'll seriously consider it.  :)  (The V3 might just come with the bigger pedals.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

And a successful retirement means that you can continue living at the same standard of living that you are accustomed to. Retiring in California and having to move to Mississippi is a less than fully successful retirement, IMO.

No doubt - exactly what I'm feeling/doing. Moving is an option in case of 'having a wish' to live at a site. 

Many Europeans move to Romania or Bulgaria! Why? because they are running out of money where they live.

That's what won't happen to us, because we planned things :P

On seen the Nikola video, I'm thinking about buying this 'beast'.

@Marty Backe - can you just figure aout again the main advantages compared to KS 18 XL. 

What's about motor noise? High pitch noise! I like the quiet running on my V 10. I had a KS16 B which was incredible in terms of high pitch noise - I gave it back to the dealer!

Edited by MBIKER_SURFER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

No doubt - exactly what I'm feeling/doing. Moving is an option in case of 'having a wish' to live at a site. 

Many Europeans move to Romania or Bulgaria! Why? because they are running out of money where they live.

Thyt's what won't happen to us, because we planned things :P

On seen the Nikola video, I'm thinking about buying this 'beast'.

@Marty Backe - can you just figure aout again the main advantages compared to KS 18 XL. 

What's about motor noise? High pitch noise! I like the quiet running on my V 10. I had a KS16 B which was incredible in terms of high pitch noise - I gave it back to the dealer!

The Nikola is another silent running wheel from Gotway. Not so much with the 18XL.

The balance of the Nikola feels better (XL feels a tad higher and therefore not ideal), but the biggest advantage is the huge tire which gives the ride a beautiful feeling and it certainly takes uneven surface conditions better. Of course it's faster throughout the battery range too (no tilt-back throttling). Being a smaller diameter tire than the XL, it feels like it has higher low-end torque.

Again, it's the best wheel of 2019 IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, erk1024 said:

The thing is, tilting / twisting / lifting it would be less of a problem for me because I have the mass to do it. To be honest, the 18xl seems kind of small sometimes.

I never thought I'd hear someone else say it! Im only like 5'10, 220lbs now. (Lost 10 haha). But my 18XL feels really small. Like, now 16s small, but still rather small. And i can throw it around like a toy for the most part unless i have too much stuff in my backpack, haha. Its why ive been looking at the monster!

I rode into Toronto the other day and did a 70km ride alone, mainly beside major roads and on some pretty questionable surfaces. The 18XL handled it quite well, but there were areas i thought I was going to eat it, and being able to sit at any moment during that ride would have saved my legs, which went numb at the end, and shaved off a lot of time, since I had to dismount and walk to get feeling back and stop the cramping after a while, haha. In terms of battery life though...got home with 40%. At my weight with that much distance, and the speed i was travelling, i was very surprised. Thinking that a monster can go further, faster with a bigger tire and a seat? Its almost a no brainer, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, ir_fuel said:

Funny

I have at home:

Mten3, MCM5 and Z10

:D 

The motorcycling part is only half true. You won't be able to actually do serious lean angles. It's just a lot of work to get it cornered. I don't know if that's a plus TBH.

I am trying to decide which wheel to buy as my first wheel. I like both the Mten3 and the MCM5. I live in San Francisco so the MCM5 seems like it would be good for the hills but the Mten3 is also very capable hill climber from the videos I watched on YT plus its more compact and that is important for me as well. I think Marty Backe said the MCM5 is not a beginner's wheel. Which wheel would you recommend as a first wheel?

I am 190 cm (6'3"), 90 kg (200 lb). 18XL is my first wheel, but it feels really really small to me. The wheel weight 25 kg (55 lb) is also not heavy. I was wondering if I was alone or not.

I would really like a bigger wheel, but monster is the only option? Any suggestions, thoughts please? As it's my first wheel I would really love other's perspectives.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tadas said:

I am 190 cm (6'3"), 90 kg (200 lb). 18XL is my first wheel, but it feels really really small to me. The wheel weight 25 kg (55 lb) is also not heavy. I was wondering if I was alone or not.

Yes you are. ;) Since it is your first wheel, I guess your expectations were not in line with the currently available EUCs. Riding an EUC does feel naked and exposed, but it is a part of the feeling of freedom and flying that we love when riding one. I’m pretty sure that by the time you have ridden your first 500 miles, you will feel differently.

2 minutes ago, Tadas said:

I would really like a bigger wheel, but monster is the only option?

In terms of buying a bigger wheel, yes. In terms of conditioning yourself, no.

• Like 1

Another question:

Is it worth taking the 2100 Wh version (84V) - which is about 600 €!! more?

The difference to the 100 V version (1845 Wh) is also 600 € compared to the Nikola 1600 Wh.

I think, the 1600 Wh is worth every € - the other versions are propably just nice to have??

5 hours ago, wheeliewonka said:

I am trying to decide which wheel to buy as my first wheel. I like both the Mten3 and the MCM5. I live in San Francisco so the MCM5 seems like it would be good for the hills but the Mten3 is also very capable hill climber from the videos I watched on YT plus its more compact and that is important for me as well. I think Marty Backe said the MCM5 is not a beginner's wheel. Which wheel would you recommend as a first wheel?

What do you plan to use the wheel for?

I think the mten3 is nice as a fun wheel for playing around and occasionally a short trip somewhere. But the tire is too small for "serious" usage like commuting. So I'd say MCM5 between the two. You can learn on any wheel, don't worry about that.

And don't be confused by the hills. They don't limit you to those two. As an allrounder, you might like a bigger wheel. 16 inch or even 18. They can do hills just as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wheeliewonka said:

Mten3 would make for a great 2nd or 3rd wheel, but your first wheel should be a 16 or 18. More stable than the Mten, and also more forgiving over bad roads. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wheeliewonka said:

So then it's either MCM5 or KS16S. I am leaning towards the Gotway MCM5 because of the cut-off button under the handle and the torque. 

The new 16S v2 also has a cut-off. Lifting the handle will trigger a little button inside.

I'd still prefer the MCM5 over the 16S if you don't want a bigger wheel, probably more fun to ride.

• Upvote 2

I found an MCM5 (800wh) on eBay for $920 +$35 2 yr protection plan. Seller has 99% positive ratings and ships from Houston, delivery in 7 days. On ewheels it's priced at $1350. I wanna avoid Aliexpress because of the long delivery times. Anyone ever buy from eBay?

12 minutes ago, wheeliewonka said:

I found an MCM5 (800wh) on eBay for $920 +$35 2 yr protection plan. Seller has 99% positive ratings and ships from Houston, delivery in 7 days. On ewheels it's priced at $1350. I wanna avoid Aliexpress because of the long delivery times. Anyone ever buy from eBay?

I don’t see why not. it has six month buyer protection from Paypal. How many miles though?

Ah never mind, they’re brand new. Why not? With 2 year protection you’re good. Problem is they may determine it to be user error if it cuts out on you. 

Edited by Ben Kim

1 hour ago, wheeliewonka said:

I think the 2yr protection plan is laughable. What exactly does that mean in the context of EUCs?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I think the 2yr protection plan is laughable. What exactly does that mean in the context of EUCs?

If it explodes, the plan forms a shield around you to protect you from the blast. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Having taken advantage of one of these plans with a washing machine, if they can't repair/replace it they will reimburse you the purchase price.  Not sure how it would apply for an EUC though.  Regardless, it's not the end of the world to self-service a wheel if needed.  Anyone remotely mechanically inclined can handle.  

2 hours ago, wheeliewonka said:

$917 with free shipping right?

I just got mine in yesterday. It's working great!

• Like 2