Speed wobble when slowing down or picking up speed

I moved the topic to an appropriate sub-forum, since it’s not related to second-hand sales in any way.

Speed wobbles are almost always caused by the legs of an inexperienced rider being too tense, or getting fatigued. Or standing too far back on the pedals. Align the heel of your shoe with the back end of the pedals, and try to relax your feet and not to squeeze the wheel, and the wobbles should become quite rare. 

If the wobbles start, try carving left or right, or just leaning only the other leg against the wheel body.

• Upvote 1

I also have the V8, which I bought two or so weeks ago, and concur with @mrelwood.

When I am stiff, the wheel wobbles like crazy when I accelerate it to 25kph. It goes away as soon as I let everything hang loose. 

At the tail end of rides when I am tired, it also wobbles as I cannot compensate for surface imperfections quickly enough. 

As for braking, the wobbling subsided when I got comfortable letting the wheel shoot ahead from under me. I previously squeezed it with my legs, which also has the unwanted byproduct of tensing my whole body up. 

In my experience and keep in mind I don't have that many km in my legs and different wheels. In the beginning you are aware of speed wobbles since you are unsure and it can be scary. 

But emergency or hard breaking is something you start to do as you ride more self confident aka at higher speeds and have control of that. But want didn't get trained to same degree is the hard breaking. So when you do this partly being tense by nature in that situation and part not trained it you will feel the wobbles coming back.

I am pretty sure if you practice this you will be able to do this without wobbling. It can be soften a bit if you have less firm setting on you wheel. This is part reason why I went from firmest setting to the middle firmness.

Edited by Unventor
I had 400ish Km n my V8 and about 2550 Km on my KS18L now.
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I moved the topic to an appropriate sub-forum, since it’s not related to second-hand sales in any way.

Speed wobbles are almost always caused by the legs of an inexperienced rider being too tense, or getting fatigued. Or standing too far back on the pedals. Align the heel of your shoe with the back end of the pedals, and try to relax your feet and not to squeeze the wheel, and the wobbles should become quite rare. 

If the wobbles start, try carving left or right, or just leaning only the other leg against the wheel body.

Thank you guys for the tips

2 hours ago, Luis Chalas said:

Thank you guys for the tips

One last tip for you... 

While you are learning and prone to being a bit tense, have a beer (just one) before a training session. Seriously, it will help you to relax just a little and "feel the flow"!

It works well even once you have been riding for a while too...   :cheers:

• Like 2

I was looking for this same topic. I figured it was about tension in the body.  I've moved from my carpeted flat to the car park.  So smoother and more unforgiving surface (I'm lessening to loosen up to accommodate the small changes in terrain (of a smooth car park floor).

I agree with the beer as @The Fat Unicyclist suggests.  This is similiar to skiers and snowboarders in Europe.  And they've been doing it for years. 

I did wonder though.  Does tire pressure have an impact on wobble?  I'm riding my Tesla on soft setting with a reduced psi whilst i get my balance right. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rinzler said:

I was looking for this same topic. I figured it was about tension in the body.  I've moved from my carpeted flat to the car park.  So smoother and more unforgiving surface (I'm lessening to loosen up to accommodate the small changes in terrain (of a smooth car park floor).

I agree with the beer as @The Fat Unicyclist suggests.  This is similiar to skiers and snowboarders in Europe.  And they've been doing it for years. 

I did wonder though.  Does tire pressure have an impact on wobble?  I'm riding my Tesla on soft setting with a reduced psi whilst i get my balance right. 

Tire pressure in general can have a very big impact on your riding experience. How much of an impact depends on the wheel (and tire in question). With my Nikola I notice big differences in handling if the tire pressure is too high or too low, with my V10F less so (the Nikola has a much wider tire for what it's worth). If you're a light rider you'd typically want a lower pressure, but all new riders, or all riders with a new wheel, should experiment with the pressure to see what fits them. The only caveat would be that if you're a heavier rider you don't want to set it too low for your wheel as you risk damaging the rim.

• Like 1