What is your aftermarket nighttime lighting solution

t33m

I've noticed that I naturally go much slower at night, despite it feeling faster.

The headlight on my MSX is probably great for me to have my life flash before my eyes before hitting a pothole, but I'd rather be able to see it far out enough to avoid it.

Anyone strap glue or tape something to thier EUC?

I have used this USB-powered bike light plugged into my MSuper for the past year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LALPX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I commute home for 8 miles at 4:30 every morning on streets with no lights at 25-30 mph and I have no visibility problems at all :thumbup:!  It's waterproof (I have ridden home from work in torrential rain several times without issue), has 3 brightness levels, and the beam is nice and tight with good projection. My route has big pot holes, train tracks, gravel, road debris, garbage, face-height overhanging tree branches, joggers, small animals and all sorts of craziness and I can see all of it coming from (what seems like) miles away! I honestly love it to death and no longer feel safe riding at night without it...

I also tried this little guy out when I was first looking for some good riding illumination: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YGK2F1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Same concept, it's a bike light that runs off of a USB port, except this one actually has 2 LEDs instead of the single LED in the light that I use. They both perform almost identically (same brightness to my eye), but I felt that the beam was just a bit tighter on the one I eventually chose. Either way, you can't lose if you go with either of them! :efee6b18f3:

Edited by Arbolest

I'm using a cygolite 800? Older model.  It's ok, it gives some flood and helps the headlight out a bit. Looking to upgrade. I did try a Chinese light from Amazon and despite being advertised as 2400lumens, was not even as bright as the medium setting on the cygolite. I might try a Fenix tk72r which is complete overkill.

To attach, I have 3d printed a small block with a curve cut out to better fit to the front top of the MSX. I then mounted a GoPro mount to that, and I've got a quick release connected to a 3d printed cylinder to mount bicycle lights to.  I currently have the cygolite and a disco light mounted :)

For the rear I have a temporary print, it fits between the trolley handle bars and is a vertical cylinder I mounted a planetbike turbo flash to.

Edited by scotchtape
  • Like 1

I prefer to use a small handheld so I can aim it where I need it. It's small but turns night in to daytime and I can ride as fast as I want. Can cover the reflector a bit with your thing to keep from blinding incoming traffic. Sometimes I hold it over my head and point it down on me on very dark roads so cars behind can see me.

https://www.amazon.com/Soonfire-NS17-USB-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B01CJJYZ78/ref=asc_df_B01CJJYZ78/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198090983914&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9261494156860540682&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006939&hvtargid=pla-349901878005&psc=1

I have mine mounted to the front of my wheels. :efee6b18f3:

I find it to be super important to have the beam lower so that the shadows it creates as it projects forward help to identify bumps and dips in the pavement. If it's too high up, like at head or shoulder-level, then you don't get those details and might not notice something that could cause an accident! 

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Im looking for a hand torch, back light and some torso lighting to complete my lighting system.

At the moment i use:

Helmet (top): https://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-MiNewt-Mini-350-Light/dp/B00AN6H1S0 for bikepath or https://www.amazon.ca/Solarstorm-Waterproof-Bicycle-Headlamp-Battery/dp/B07QTWJHWD for offroad.

Helmet (fullface jaw peace): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headlight-Brightest-Rechargeable-Mountaineering-Activities/dp/B074GRNLZT

Legs (sneakers): https://www.wiggle.com.au/knog-frog-led-rear-light/.

Its getting darker here so light up! :efef927839:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 2:06 AM, Arbolest said:

I have mine mounted to the front of my wheels. :efee6b18f3:

I find it to be super important to have the beam lower so that the shadows it creates as it projects forward help to identify bumps and dips in the pavement. If it's too high up, like at head or shoulder-level, then you don't get those details and might not notice something that could cause an accident! 

@Arbolest What mount do you use to attach this to the EUC?  Looks like it would be sideways on the MSX handle unless you have something else you're using too?

3 hours ago, MrRobot said:

@Arbolest What mount do you use to attach this to the EUC?  Looks like it would be sideways on the MSX handle unless you have something else you're using too?

Believe it or not I just made a custom mount out of some 6mm black craft foam and held it on the front of the wheel with some good velcro. This keeps it held firmly in place, makes it easy for me to reposition it or adjust the angle, is lightweight and can take the abuse it gets if I ever drop the wheel in a crash, and is insanely cheap to make. I love it :clap3:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

Believe it or not I just made a custom mount out of some 6mm black craft foam and held it on the front of the wheel with some good velcro. This keeps it held firmly in place, makes it easy for me to reposition it or adjust the angle, is lightweight and can take the abuse it gets if I ever drop the wheel in a crash, and is insanely cheap to make. I love it :clap3:

Please share some pictures!:popcorn:

This light, but strap removed and base modified to attach with the high-strength Velcro to the front of the wheel.  It's bright AF.  Supposedly 12000 lumens.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H4GLXWY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_N-hADbS2RY260

I also really like this fiber-optic visibility "vest".  I saw Val from the Gydiators using the same one in their 109 mile Purcellville ride video.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00GI993YG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_MbiADb5X4QNYJ

Battery pack is just sitting on the handle for the pic.  I strap it down properly when I actually use it for riding, and it does not interfere with trolley handle operation.

IMG_2609.jpg

Edited by neurokinetik
  • Like 1

I love this compact, lightweight, yet very bright Nitecore headlamp

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGYRBA2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this Imalent flashlight, which although not hands-free I can easily point exactly where I want and is easy to avert the beam from approaching cars

https://www.banggood.com/IMALENT-DN35-XHP35-HI-2200LM-26650-USB-Rechargeable-LED-Flashlight-p-1114978.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

On 9/2/2019 at 12:15 PM, MrRobot said:

@Arbolest I got the light but still not sure about the best way to attach it. Share those pics! :)

Ok, here are some pictures of the mounts that I made to hold my equipment on the front of my MSuper V3S+. They are made of 6mm (about 1/4") craft foam that you can get at any hobby or craft store (or sometimes even Walmart!). The pieces are held together primarily with superglue, and I used some hot glue on the inside edges/seams for rain-proofing and durability. They are held in place with some good sticky-back velcro. They were made to hold 3 items: a headlight, a dash cam, and a small GPS speedometer.

My original mount was really just a proof of concept that I made to test out the idea and make sure the end result would be durable, relatively stiff, and easy to make. It's less polished overall, but still extremely functional. That said, if you're just looking to make something that can hold a light still on the front of your wheel, then it can be even simpler than this! In these 3 pictures, I have one of the lights I mentioned stuck into its mounting hole so you can see how it fits.

0904190743.thumb.jpg.722d020aa506cbf4fb6c458ae1bd93e4.jpg

The 2 strips of green Velcro in this picture are used to easily secure the light, which would have the other side of the VElcro wrapped around its back. They hold it along both axes so you can adjust it left/right and up/down pretty easily. The giant blob of hot glue was just there to make a better seal against the front of the wheel and prevent any water from possibly getting splashed up into the mount and getting on the dash cam... 

0904190743a.thumb.jpg.4a7ec0696ccf4b35903d2ded3bbb4f89.jpg

The only tools I used to make this mount were a pair of scissors to cut out the big pieces and the velcro, a craft knife to help with the holes for the light and dash cam, and a hot glue gun.

0904190743b.thumb.jpg.8a4ebaa5aad80ba7d5abaa79b579d70b.jpg

Now, my current mount ended up VERY different from my first prototype... I found out through using the first mount that I lean so far forward during hard accelerations and fast riding that I was actually blocking the GPS signal to my speedometer, so this one had to be extended pretty far out in front of the wheel! Because of this, as well as my desire for a smoother, more organic look, the end result came out strikingly different in almost every aspect... When seen in profile, it almost looks like some kind of strange head/neck on the wheel! After using it for a few weeks I've come to realize how much character the new shape gives the wheel, and I really appreciate its curves and overall aesthetic!

0904190815c.thumb.jpg.2a23467a2c4e02bbbdda834ea76f5318.jpg

The open back allows me to more easily reach the buttons and charging port, as well as allowing me to see the small screen on the dash cam so I can easily tell if it's lined up right.

0904190815a.thumb.jpg.fa56f044512e2c80672ef67dd562ebb2.jpg

The mount is held in place by pieces of velcro, just like the original mount, but they are spaced as far apart as I could get them for better stability. In this picture the piece of velcro up by the power button and charging port are actually for a removable rain cover that's not included here.

0830190824.thumb.jpg.fa90a1313221278add98da90ef09d7f1.jpg

I used a dremel to contour and bevel the edges of the foam, and a heat gun to shape it and give it its smooth lines, as well as seal the surface to get a harder, shinier appearance. The overhanging platform on top that the speedometer sits on also acts as a sun shade for the dash cam, preventing a lot of lens artifacts. It also just looks really neat when the light is on! 

0904190816a.thumb.jpg.c70a6765f3e1885ab26e43f3270fc38e.jpg

I added a hole so that the original built-in headlight can still be used and isn't just covered up by the mount! The velcro attachment points stretch a lot farther down the wheel than on the original mount, which provides a lot more stability and stiffness.

0904190816.thumb.jpg.653272ef3bce474c1563c1643afb31e4.jpg

Not quite sure what it is about this mount, but I really like the personality it gives my wheel. Almost makes it feel like some kind of living animal...

0830190825.thumb.jpg.13552623d24e223fa4ed1dbc3db0b275.jpg

Anyway, let me know if you have questions on construction methods or anything! I've been messing around more with the craft foam and making more mods for my wheels, and I'm well on my way to believing that it's one of the best diy materials out there!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrRobot said:

WTF :blink: lmao well...that's not what I was expecting....

Indeed, you and me both! :roflmao:

I didn't really plan it, but the creation process ended up being so much fun that I just went with it!

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered this light based on Marty's recommendation. It's great! I was surprised by the wire inside the end cover. Seems like an odd design, a likely failure point. I have several similar flashlights that have micro USB charging but don't have a wire like this. On the other hand, based on Marty's satisfaction and the high customer ratings on Amazon, my concern might be groundless. Definitely, the performance is excellent, the price is affordable, and Anker is generally known for great products. Update: I stand corrected! As I watched a review video I learned that what I thought was an electrical wire is actually a retainer to prevent the end cap from being lost! https://tinyurl.com/yxv4ywmb

Edited by MaxLinux