V10/V10F pedals drooping. How to fix?

UniVehje

The pedals are resting on the pedal hangers on a very small point and they will dent on that point and even a 1mm dent is enough to change the angle dramatically. See the photos about the dent. This will happen to every V10/V10F within a year. 

Also, both pedals have started to crack, you can see that on the photos. 

There is also a way to fix the angle issue temporarily, performed by @mrelwood

IAYbaXX.jpgDctZtzy.jpgo2nIDfi.jpgTD7eJPK.jpgfRSv2te.jpg

PJz4nHS.jpg

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looking at the way how the crack is building lets me think that the design in itself may not be the main issue: the crack appears right at the thickest part of structure. This suggests to me that not the layout but the chosen material may be the main culprit.

12 minutes ago, Mono said:

@UniVehje, how did you get all this abrasion at the inner lower edge of the pedal?

Not abrasion, a dent. That is the point the pedal rests on. All the rider’s weight is on that narrow strip. 

Edited by UniVehje

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Not abrasion, a dent. That is the point the pedal rests on. All the rider’s weight is on that narrow strip. 

I didn't mean the place where the pedal sits on the hanger, but the front inner lower edge, where we see quite some abrasion. Now I see how it can come about: it is pedal scraping when the wheel gets lost, the pedal folds and the wheel slides to a stop on the pedal.

3 hours ago, Mono said:

Looking at the way how the crack is building lets me think that the design in itself may not be the main issue: the crack appears right at the thickest part of structure. This suggests to me that not the layout but the chosen material may be the main culprit.

It’s at a thin part if you look closely. Right at the edge of the thicker material. 

2 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

It’s at a thin part if you look closely. Right at the edge of the thicker material. 

Let's put it differently then :innocent1: it's right around the solid block where the designers apparently expected the largest forces (apparently rightly so). It also traverses the part with the most closely placed rips :D

Edited by Mono

The V10F pedals felt very light and are very thin walled compared to MSX (or 16S) pedals. The whole area that had the cracks on the V10F is several times thicker on the MSX pedals. Considering the dent, I suspect the material itself to be softer as well.

I think the V10F pedals have alarming issues in their design. Granted, the ~70kg rider that got the above pedals to be that way, does love offroading. But so do I, and I weigh 94kg, and have ridden quite a bit more on my MSX.

If Gotway pedals indeed fit on the V10F, they would definitely be a lot safer alternative. Especially if you like to do offroad or weigh a bit more. Too bad the Gotway pedals are a good bit smaller.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Too bad the Gotway pedals are a good bit smaller.

This is the problem. They would remove one of the best features of the V10F. Many people chose this wheel because of the large pedals. 

There really is no other choice for InMotion other than redesign the pedals and ship new pair to every V10 owner. First units were shipped 13 months ago so almost all of them are still within warranty. I would guess the drooping and cracking will develop for almost everyone within the warranty period. At least after the first 2000 km. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If Gotway pedals indeed fit on the V10F, they would definitely be a lot safer alternative.

Just FTR, such that we don't forget, we have also seen a Gotway pedal broken just recently, though I think it was not an MSX pedal?

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Just FTR, such that we don't forget, we have also seen a Gotway pedal broken just recently, though I think it was not an MSX pedal?

I think that is the old ACM pedal. The little that can be seen from the insides looks like it also has a pretty thin wall where the MSX (= Msuper?) pedal has a solid block of metal.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

There’s a new design on the pedals now. Looks like the structure is different now. Remains to be seen how the contact point holds. 

0BB7DAB4-8372-49D1-BCAC-9F7136D435D5.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UniVehje said:

There’s a new design on the pedals now. Looks like the structure is different now. Remains to be seen how the contact point holds. 

0BB7DAB4-8372-49D1-BCAC-9F7136D435D5.jpeg

Do we know anything about the availability of these pedals for existing owners? Do you have to have a pedal start cracking before InMotion replaces them (seems dangerous), or can we get replacements proactively? And do we know if or how long until InMotion USA is issuing these as replacements instead of the old ones? Any word from ewheels on getting these pedals?

9 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Do we know anything about the availability of these pedals for existing owners? Do you have to have a pedal start cracking before InMotion replaces them (seems dangerous), or can we get replacements proactively? And do we know if or how long until InMotion USA is issuing these as replacements instead of the old ones? Any word from ewheels on getting these pedals?

I only saw the instagram post. I don’t even know if the structure has really changed or not.

13 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I only saw the instagram post. I don’t even know if the structure has really changed or not.

The post shows a change in the design, but it seems not to be at the place where any of the cracks that I have seen started. The new design includes additional structure where the crack goes when the pedal disintegrates, but I don't think that would prevent disintegration, maybe it would delay it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 5:34 AM, 2 Drinks Behind said:

The Inmotion store has been showing Out of Stock on V10 pedals for at least a week now.  I'm wondering if this is because they are replacing them with the new pedal design.  Anyone have any info from Inmotion on this?

We are planing to upgrade the V10 series, not just pedals.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The below was posted on the Inmotion USA (now EUCO.us) forum in response to my question about when the new pedals will be available:

V10 Pedal Update!

InMotion's new V10 Pedals are expected to be finished later this month, and we will order them over at InMotion USA as soon as they are available from the factory. So you can expect to be available as early as sometime in October. As soon as we can be more specific, I'll let you guys know.

• Like 2

And another one bites the dust: today, after about 2000 km, one of my V10 pedals broke too. Same spot as for the above shown. The pedal was mounted on a V8. I was going down a small curb and wondered why I was slipping off the (intact) pedal without good reason. I didn't fall and could even miraculously prevent the wheel hitting any of my legs.

Edited by Mono

8 hours ago, Mono said:

And another one bites the dust: today, after about 2000 km, one of my V10 pedals broke too. Same spot as for the above shown. The pedal was mounted on a V8. I was going down a small curb and wondered why I was slipping off the (intact) pedal without good reason. I didn't fall and could even miraculously prevent the wheel hitting any of my legs.

Eek!  Glad you're ok.  This seems like an inevitable problem and a quite serious one.  If a pedal breaks at the wrong time, it could very well seriously injure or even kill someone if they're riding near traffic.  I hope Inmotion takes this seriously and provides the new pedals to all the existing owners proactively as soon as they become available.  In the mean time, I've started checking my pedals daily for any sign of cracks forming.

I have to say though that I don't feel confident that the additional ribs they've added on the new pedal design will really be sufficient to address this issue.  In fact, it doesn't really look to me like they did much, if anything, to strengthen the area where the cracks are occurring. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 2 Drinks Behind said:

I have to say though that I don't feel confident that the additional ribs they've added on the new pedal design will really be sufficient to address this issue.  In fact, it doesn't really look to me like they did much, if anything, to strengthen the area where the cracks are occurring. 

Same here. If the material of the new pedals is the same and the design is as shown, I think we will continue to see the same problem.

Edited by Mono

• 2 weeks later...

Guys ... 4000 km it' s a very long distance for an EUC ... pedals need to be replaced ... especially if you do jumps ... the whole bracket which attaches to the motor might need replacement also after a few thousand km ... be aware to inspect the pedals each 100 km for signs of cracks ... I work in the aviation industry ... no other industy except aviation has such a severe time limit theory ... basically this means things are not build to last forever ... and need replacement afrer a certain number of usage hours or time ... i have 105 Kg. ... 900 km with my V10F ... no problems yet ... regards George D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgm_ss said:

Guys ... 4000 km it' s a very long distance for an EUC ... pedals need to be replaced

In my case the V10 pedals are so far the only ones which broke after <2000km. Otherwise I have gone up to 8000km with the same set of pedals without signs of fatigue (deformation, yes, but no fatigue). From an engineering perspective I certainly don't see at all why pedals should need any replacement within the maximum lifetime of an EUC, let it be 100,000km and/or 100,000 curb jumps. The same is true for bicycle pedals and modern crank arms, which essentially never break in a bicycles lifetime (unless they get loose and not retightened). From an aviation perspective that would probably be overengineering, but the added weight and cost are in this case rather marginal with the benefit to get in essence an unlimited lifetime and the added safety which comes with it.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2