V10/V10F pedals drooping. How to fix?

UniVehje

1 hour ago, neurokinetik said:

Seems like there is a need for aftermarket pedals for the V10.  These things aren't complicated at all, somebody with a CNC could make a set in a day that would hold up better. 

Sure, if you want pedals that feel like every other EUC.

The whole thing with V10's pedal design with the rubber insets is that it's a major contributor to why the V10 has such a cushier ride quality compared to any other EUC. I think that's worth the 'good fight' to salvage the design and just find ways to improve/reinforce it, versus giving up and returning to more primitive designs.

9 minutes ago, Mono said:

Is that the polite way to report another broken V10 pedal?

My pedals are still hanging on, but one is so loose that it doesnt stay folded anymore.

Thought I change them while waiting for next season.  

24 minutes ago, lirva said:

My pedals are still hanging on, but one is so loose that it doesnt stay folded anymore.

You do realize there's a set screw on the bottom of the pedal stand-offs to tighten/adjust the amount of friction involved in folding/unfolding the pedals? And that variable has absolutely nothing to do with the present issue of pedal structural integrity. Your pedals are probably 100% fine.

Edited by AtlasP

On 11/18/2019 at 8:56 PM, lirva said:

The reason that a pedal doesn't stay folded is usually the small screw which tightens the axle to the pedal (1:44)

Otherwise it can also be the bigger screws which were removed at 1:24, which determine how tight the folding goes.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, lirva said:

Thanks guys, never looked under there.

I was tightening the bigger nuts but haven't spotted the small one, thats the issue.

Another prediction: if you want to fix this for more than a few weeks, you will need loctite.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I'm posting here differences between new V10F pedals with sand-paper (griptape) on top depicted on the left side and OLD pedals (on the right) with rubber foot rest on top.

Please note that old V10/V10F pedals design (picture in the right) can crack on indicated places if rider stance it's too wider or rider it's heavy on bumpy terrain.

I'm recommending to those who buy V10/V10F to ask seller to install new pedals with sandpaper on top !

new_left_old_right_forum1.jpg

Edited by Meserias
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I bought my inmotion v10f a week ago and already one of the pedals has collapsed. I've been practising going up and down kerbs but a 1300 euro unicycle should be able to take that for a long time. A big disappointment. Even if the v10f has good things it is much better to buy unicycles from other brands (if I could go back in time I would).

Regards

• Like 2

I weigh well over 130kg/290lbs in my gear and have done a lot of riding on dirt roads with plenty of potholes ... my pedals and pedal hangers have held up just fine over 1.600km, I havent noticed any changes.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, Pablocavern said:

Hi, I bought my inmotion v10f a week ago and already one of the pedals has collapsed. I've been practising going up and down kerbs but a 1300 euro unicycle should be able to take that for a long time. A big disappointment. Even if the v10f has good things it is much better to buy unicycles from other brands (if I could go back in time I would).

Regards

V10 series used to have weak pedals but they changed them for later models. If you got a wheel from old stock (grey rubber pads) then it could be that. If you have the later model (black grip tape over the rubber) then you should just talk to your dealer. That might be a faulty single unit. It should not just collapse in use. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I took my brand new V10F for its second test ride today and I still had the issue that the pedal on the right hand side seemed to be drooping . At first I thought I was mistaken because the pedal on the left hand side also seemed to be canted inwards much less than on my previous wheel (it was still visibly canted though) and that I would get used to it.

Today I propped up the wheel and took a really close look at the pedals from behind and lo and behold, the right hand pedal was indeed drooping downwards. Barely noticeable with your eyes but my foot felt it very clearly, especially when mounting the wheel. I fixed it by glueing a cut-to-size piece of an old, rusty 0.12mm steel feeler gauge onto the surface of the pedal hanger. I guess I'll see how long that fix lasts.

Overall that drooping pedal was kind of a bummer on a brand new wheel. Makes you wonder about the tolerances in manufacturing - I am pretty sure the hangers and pedals on the left and right hand side are fully symmetrical and cast in the same mould, so it is really just ONE hanger and ONE pedal. Where does this tolerance creep in?

On the other hand I had already got a 200€ discount on that wheel because it came limited to 25kmh and couldnt be unlocked with the Inmotion app (EUC World unlocked it easily to 45kmh though, but I didnt tell the seller ... and no, I have no intention of ever testing that out, no worries)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Today I propped up the wheel and took a really close look at the pedals from behind and lo and behold, the right hand pedal was indeed drooping downwards.

I'd also carefully check for cracks. Even the V10F pedals are, unfortunately, not unbreakable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 7:04 AM, Mono said:

I'd also carefully check for cracks. Even the V10F pedals are, unfortunately, not unbreakable.

Very likely cracked pedal or the hanger is bent from previous owner if you just bought it (not clear). At 290 pounds, you exceed the max weight by 26 pounds. If the pedal is the newer ones and cracked, you need to get stronger ones. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2019 at 11:00 PM, neurokinetik said:

Seems like there is a need for aftermarket pedals for the V10.  These things aren't complicated at all, somebody with a CNC could make a set in a day that would hold up better. 

When ever I get a V5 or a V8 I normally get V8F pedals for it for comfort....  From the photos comparing the V10 and V8F, the V8F pedal has some structural improvements... but has anyone seen the V11 / V12 pedals are like inside? and do they fit the V10?

Could that be solution to our 290lb riders?

3 hours ago, OneLeg said:

has anyone seen the V11 / V12 pedals are like inside? and do they fit the V10?

V11 pedals do not fit V5/V8/V10. Structurally the V11 pedals seemed much sturdier than the original V10F pedals. I might even have some photos around...

Edit: Here you go:

https://ibb.co/album/23fMgn

Edited by mrelwood