V10/V10F pedals drooping. How to fix?

UniVehje

This is a picture of V10F with 4000 kilometers. 

The pedals are clearly started to droop or hang on a negative dihedral angle. These pedals have always been very flat but this is not normal. It seems like something has been worn out and they don’t hold their angle anymore. 

The wheel has been ridden by 70-75 kg rider but the style has been with a wide stance. So the weight has been on the outer edge of the pedals. 

Are there any other V10 owners with the same problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this? 

I don’t think this should happen with only 4000 km. @Liamfind is the factory aware of this?

5E000FB6-4113-41A3-8808-91F166D6B452.jpeg

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Demargon said:

I had the same problem in the two sets of crank and pedals I had of my v10f. Both of them are loosing thickness in the contact point between them. The crank may hit the ground when the euc falls what cause some lose of thicknes. But the aluminum of the pedals are simply too malleable for the tension it support, waht become in a incisionin the inside face where it touch the crank

Yeah, seems to be the problem. A design flaw really. 

You said had. Did you get it fixed somehow or did you get new pedals? 

I’m thinking glueing some aluminum strips on the contact points. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2019 at 11:27 PM, UniVehje said:

This is a picture of V10F with 4000 kilometers. 

The pedals are clearly started to droop or hang on a negative dihedral angle. These pedals have always been very flat but this is not normal. It seems like something has been worn out and they don’t hold their angle anymore. 

The wheel has been ridden by 70-75 kg rider but the style has been with a wide stance. So the weight has been on the outer edge of the pedals. 

Are there any other V10 owners with the same problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this? 

I don’t think this should happen with only 4000 km. @Liamfind is the factory aware of this?

Hi We will look into it and see if it's the production problem. Can you send me your SN?

Some additional information to follow up on my previous post about shimming the pedals: my partner and I experimented with sheets from different materials before settling on the transformer laminate:

• Nickel strips (the kind used for constructing 18650-based battery packs): Worked for about a week, but got increasingly flat during the time until it became razor thin. Kinda looked like it went through a hydraulic press.
  • Plastic cards (scrap credit cards, etc): Worked for emergencies (e.g. when the shim fell out during a ride), but squished out like toothpaste
  • Dry leaves, held with nexcare waterproof bandages: Yeah we were desperate and it was field repair.. lasted until the end of the ride.

We also experimented with different locations for the shim:

• On the pedal block: Worked for a very short period of time, but no adhesive would hold it in place for long, and it would get pushed out slightly as you open the pedal
  • On the inside of the pedal: Holds for a very long time, as long as the shim lasts.
  • Upvote 2

I found this crack in the left pedal, I put the old one to change it. I suspect that it happened long ago because it made a clicking sound. But when putting the straps it seems that the crack has become larger

photo_2019-05-19_00-17-43.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/14/2019 at 11:14 PM, UniVehje said:

I’m thinking glueing some aluminum strips on the contact points. 

Aluminium that is mostly available for consumers is even softer than the hardened one that the pedal and the bracket is made of. I’d definitely go with steel. I have a 0.75mm sheet of steel, I can cut you a few pieces if you measure the pedal bracket width and the pedal thickness at the contact point.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Demargon said:

I found this crack in the left pedal, I put the old one to change it. I suspect that it happened long ago because it made a clicking sound. But when putting the straps it seems that the crack has become larger

photo_2019-05-19_00-17-43.jpg

Nice to know where the problem starts, though it's pretty obvious that it must be there. I am surprised though that it doesn't fully break immediately. For reference, the fully broken pedal:

• Like 1

Well this is terrifying, between the recent reports of broken pedals and now more people having drooping/cracking pedals (with the cracks/faults in the same place).

Are we going to see a recall/replacement of the V10(F) pedals?

5 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Are we going to see a recall/replacement of the V10(F) pedals?

Not likely to happen unless maybe for actually broken pedals. Keeping it real, if I am not mistaken, we have three case reports so far. I suspect that this is (far?) less than a 3% failure rate. This rate won't give anyone producing or selling EUCs sleepless nights. They are used to see worse.

I posted this in the broken pedal thread. 

WTF?????   I’m 260 pounds and 6’3” tall naked. I bought this wheel because it was advertised as the max weight of 120 kg. I have never fallen off my V10F nor has it ever been dropped on the side. Not a scratch on it except from my shoes. I am now freaking disturbed at this revelation. If I fall and injure myself because of a pedal failure from just riding it, you better be fucking insured because you will be sued for negligence in the engineering design of this pedal. 

Harold Farrenkopf, P. Eng.

This pedal cracking is a serious design flaw. The honeycomb structure provides little strength on tension caused by weight of rider. If it were under compression it wouldn’t crack. This pedal needs to be recalled and replaced with one that can handle at least 3 times the weight of the rider when normal riding can cause g forces from bumps and potholes to exceed just the force caused by the stationary mass of the rider. 

I just found the thread in the general discussion section in this forum. My last ride was this morning to work. It scares the living shit out of me right now to think it could have happened to me for not even doing anything wrong but riding it. I’m 56 years old and us old people break easily. 

On 5/17/2019 at 5:51 AM, Liamfind said:

Hi We will look into it and see if it's the production problem. Can you send me your SN?

Hi @Liamfind

Did you get an answer to this problem of pedals starting to hang too low?

10 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

My right pedal keeps getting loose

This usually happens because the small screw below in the middle of the hanger gets loose. This screw is supposed to prevent that the pedal shaft turns and needs quite a bit of loctite in my experience with the V8. The pedal then is kept in position by friction on both ends of the fixed shaft. The stiffness can be tuned by the bigger in-shaft screws on both ends.

Edited by Mono

13 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

No drops or scratches. 

3018A6BA-EDF0-4C11-A1CD-771B36532136.jpeg

Mine after 2 months on a V8, almost no scraps... :)

v10pedals-2months.thumb.jpg.bc32f5ed6db16e532c783a3cc2c1feee.jpg

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 7:49 AM, UniVehje said:

Hi @Liamfind

Did you get an answer to this problem of pedals starting to hang too low? 

I'm also interested in this. I've got new wheel, but maybe if I'll take some precautionary measures I won't have those issues.

My question is: what are those precautionary measures? @Liamfind

Interesting question, if it is due to abrasion, it may be possible to prevent, if it is due to compression, I can't quite see how.