How to fall

Everyone falls. It is only a matter of time before you take that life changing tumble, and break your wrist, or sprain your ankle, and you're out of it for six months. I work in medicine, and falling from one's own standing height, from a standstill, is a common mechanism of injury. It commonly causes serious neurological (brain and neck) damage and limb fractures in the elderly. Why? Because they lack the capability to safely absorb the energy of the fall. So what are those capabilities, and how can we use them to minimize the hurt when we fall? 

In my background of hobby MMA fighting I have learned throws and takedowns, and along with those are commonly taught techniques to dissipate the energy, absorbing some of the momentum of the fall, with a limb. In some cases it is preceded by a roll, which may not always be practical when falling from things. We are taught to slap the ground with the palm right before impact. This is what I've found myself naturally doing when taking high speed falls from a longboard. Thankfully longboarders have invented "sliding pucks" which are mounted in the palms of gloves, which I find more effective than the more commonly worn wrist protectors. 

Trying to run is also a good way to absorb the momentum, but depending on how fast you're going might not work very well. Still, getting only one step in can absorb a lot of energy and ultimately save your bones.

And lastly, obviously, always wear a helmet. I love helmets!

If you have some more techniques or want to share your fall stories and how you saved your skin, please share!

Edited by h3X
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the main problem with falling on an EUC is that in some cases there is not enough time to even raise one’s hands to take the impact. Sudden cut-offs became more rare with every new wheel, but riding into an unseen pothole is not necessarily much different.

There are many different kinds of falls with EUCs. Rehearsing a curb at walking speed? No problem, just step off, perhaps lightly touch the ground. Death wobbles at 50km/h? Good luck... And everything in between. Learning how to fall is a skill one may not be able to utilize at showtime.

The only proper way to prepare in my mind is to protect yourself the best you can afford and bother. My weapons of choice are a motorcycle jacket with elbow and shoulder protectors, wrist support gloves, helmet with a chin guard and leather motorcycle pants with knee protectors.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My 13 year old son is afraid to ride an EUC.  I noticed when he tried to ride a skateboard he would fall, somewhat hard.  In my case when I would ride a skateboard and similarly an EUC I would jettison them during a problem and just land standing.  Other advice: ride slower on new paths or wear a ton of safety gear.  Using your arms to break a fall often means a dislocated shoulder or worse.  I've ridden with backpack in front of me to absorb a crash, but hasn't come into play yet.  Being scared to death / paranoid of serious injury is a good thing.

Lastly I suggest wearing bright clothing and a bright EUC.  Yes, you are harder to see wearing that cool all black look.

Don't always trust the doctors: I dislocated a shoulder riding a skateboard on a half pipe.  Doctor told me I needed surgery or I would never recover fully.  I recovered fully without surgery.  I hurt my ankle playing basketball.  Had an MRI done.  A couple of doctors said I needed surgery or I would never recover, but they couldn't tell me what was wrong with my ankle.  I wore a walking boot / cast for 6 weeks and I recovered.  One of the doctors was funny.  He said the surgery costs about $50K.  I thought to myself, I'm not buying you a new Tesla car. :)

Edited by DanCar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, h3X said:

getting only one step in can absorb a lot of energy and ultimately save your bones

Sounds like an important point to make.

I'd assume that keeping the knees bent and flexible may be the best way to achieve this.

2 hours ago, h3X said:

getting only one step in can absorb a lot of energy and ultimately save your bones

Sounds like an important point to make.

I'd assume that keeping the knees bent and flexible may be the best way to achieve this.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think there is a perfect/ good way, but I always thing arm/ elbow/ shoulder to lessen the impact.....

I think about this often, on my last fall, sub counsiosly  trasing back from jacket injury that is exactly what happened...,

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

I dont think there is a perfect/ good way, but I always thing arm/ elbow/ shoulder to lessen the impact.....

Unfortunately the arm/ elbow/ shoulder maneuver did not work out in my favor. :crying:

• Like 1

Turbo Tony's recent fall in SF at near 40mph on an MSX was knee to belly flop/slide (superman). He got up with just road rash...remarkable! He had much gear on and that gear definitely protected him. Not sure if he could reproduce such a dramatic fall again with so few injuries. Miami Ron did 37 on a Tesla and did wrist to shoulder and ended with dislocation. The collection of stories and videos seem to be don't use hands to shoulder technique. Although, at high-speed, there seems to be some luck involved as things happen to fast to properly prepare for the given situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

I think about this often, on my last fall, sub counsiosly  trasing back from jacket injury that is exactly what happened...,

16 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately the arm/ elbow/ shoulder maneuver did not work out in my favor. :crying:

The maneuver's theoretically work great when you have a second or so to prepare. They absolutely do not work for faceplants caused by being blindsided (like @Rehab1 and me).

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2