Curbs ! - my biggest challenge so far...

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

I've got encouraged after yesterday's first ride to the local park, so I wanted to carry on the good luck today as well.

I had no plan really, which way to go, so after short warming up on driveway I just set off.

I ended up next to that local park,where I've been yesterday, but by coincident I've clocked just a cross of the road the methodist church empty car park :)

This had triggered some clue - to practice figure 8 :)

After some practicing, I've decided to try for first time getting on the curbs... 

Well...

This became a nightmare, greatest challenge so far.

The LED rim earned some minor scratches today,as the wheel had landed fewer times on its side...

I can confess,that curbs making me worry :)

I'm stupid, so I'm not giving up until I manage to do what I want :)

So I kept practicing getting on the curb, until I could do it time after time...

Then I set off back home around the estate ...

I feel sorry for my wheel, I wanted to keep it tighty, but on the other hand, I need to learn everything that's necessary...

I'm planning to fix some additional rubber protectors,around that LED rim,before next curb training...

Screenshot_20190411-203527_Endomondo.thumb.jpg.3defd1ef5ac208579186dc73023b2e92.jpg      

Are you trying to ride right up a curb like this? 

curbsidewalk250x188.jpg

Or are you trying to ride up a curbcut like this? 

1*hRosZ0QHdbSEbRra0zgYuA.jpeg

The first one wouldn't be doable for me, but the second is quite nice. 

What are your curbs like and why are they so scary? 

I don't worry too much about curbs there's usually a slope i can go up ,i can't go up large curbs , if i try to hop i just hop and the wheel stays on the ground 😂, glad you made it off the street it's nice when your confident going places, it will only get better 😊

Guest PogArt Artur
4 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Are you trying to ride right up a curb like this? 

curbsidewalk250x188.jpg

Or are you trying to ride up a curbcut like this? 

1*hRosZ0QHdbSEbRra0zgYuA.jpeg

The first one wouldn't be doable for me, but the second is quite nice. 

What are your curbs like and why are they so scary? 

The bottom curb (nearly level to the street) is at a front of my driveway gate @kasenutty, It's smooth feeling to go over it, no issues since I went out the driveway a week ego.

The upper one,the "full size" curb or the bottom too, but the one fully raised on those both sides is the one I were trying to go over...

I were losing confidence suddenly, being afraid of the obstacle...

I'm not any good rider yet, so all together was making my tries very uneven,causing fallings and dropping the wheel...

I did it eventually,though, but more practice is necessary!

I need to master it,before I decide to start commuting.

Guest PogArt Artur
12 minutes ago, stephen said:

I don't worry too much about curbs there's usually a slope i can go up ,i can't go up large curbs , if i try to hop i just hop and the wheel stays on the ground 😂, glad you made it off the street it's nice when your confident going places, it will only get better 😊

Thank you...

It seems the curbs aren't so easy, considering @kasenutty and your comment @stephen...

I've found today a YouTube tutorial, to be honest, it's the only one I could find!?

So I went out with idea to practice it.

I know I can just make it easy,and follow the pathways until I find the street's level lowered curb to easily pass, but I wish to be skilled enough, to not get afraid approaching the full size curb as well...

YouTube link :

https://youtu.be/S4L_0zJYxXk 

18 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

The bottom curb (nearly level to the street) is at a front of my driveway gate @kasenutty, It's smooth feeling to go over it, no issues since I went out the driveway a week ego.

The upper one,the "full size" curb or the bottom too, but the one fully raised on those both sides is the one I were trying to go over...

I were losing confidence suddenly, being afraid of the obstacle...

I'm not any good rider yet, so all together was making my tries very uneven,causing fallings and dropping the wheel...

I did it eventually,though, but more practice is necessary!

I need to master it,before I decide to start commuting.

Riding up a curb is more of a advance skill. You have to time your hop just right and really squeeze the wheel such that it hops with you! I don't do it. I ride in the street or bike paths. I do very little pavement riding. If I need to get on the pavement its usually at the start of a block, in which case I use the cut-out. Riding off curbs or modest stairs is fairly easy. I don't do that much ether because of the strain on the axle with my 245 lb riding weight. There are probably a lot of things you should be practicing before hoping the wheel. GL.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 minute ago, Jerome said:

Riding up a curb is more of a advanced skill. You have to time your hop just right and really squeeze the wheel such that is hops with you! I don't do it. I ride in the street or bike paths. I do very little pavement riding. If I need to get on the pavement its usually at the start of a block, in which case I use the cut-out. Riding off curbs or modest stairs is fairly easy. I don't do that much ether because of the strain on the axle with my 245 lb riding weight. There are probably a lot of things you should be practicing before hoping the wheel. GL.

Reading your comments is making me wonder, if I'm not trying to approach the advanced curbs "thing" too early...

I'm struggling with riding, turns, but suddenly have started learning getting on full raised up street curbs...

It's a bit scary, I dropped the wheel about 3 times , but then I were getting on that curb at last...

I think it's not too bad then?

Once I did it, I know I can...

But I will add some more pieces of those rubbers around the LED's rim, just for peace of mind.

Thank you.

I never drop off curbs or hop up them because I have a large fear of a pedal breaking or the axle, that freaks me out a bit, thinking of the pedal suddenly giving way, yikes. Then I picture the jagged edge carving up my ankle as it drops past. :eff05cf9bc: Being a city rider, i always find a slope cut out or simply hop off and lift the wheel.

Considering my main wheel is an MSX, I seriously doubt I could hop 50lbs of wheel anyway, ha.

Guest PogArt Artur
23 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I never drop off curbs or hop up them because I have a large fear of a pedal breaking or the axle, that freaks me out a bit, thinking of the pedal suddenly giving way, yikes. Then I picture the jagged edge carving up my ankle as it drops past. :eff05cf9bc: Being a city rider, i always find a slope cut out or simply hop off and lift the wheel.

Considering my main wheel is an MSX, I seriously doubt I could hop 50lbs of wheel anyway, ha.

Yours and the other friends present comments making me wonder :)

I'm so after to master everything I can, and I'm pushing my limits every time I can :)

Today I've started with the curbs, lol :)

This is actually the last thing left, I wish to get skilled of  :)

I just can't imagine myself, coming off the wheel just because at a front of me is the street curb :)

I just need to learn to manage the curbs, but it's my personal target, I'm aware of your experience, I know it can end up badly at any time...

On the other hand, I just did it today, so I learnt that I can do it...

There's nothing to stop me after today's experience, I'll keep practice it every time and then, to maintain that skill.

But reading through yours posts dear friends, makes me wonder,that I might started too early learning hopping on to curbs, lol  :)

Best regards @Hatchet :)

40 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

After watching Kuji Rolls video on the MSX vs KS18XL I started to worry a lot less about an axle break on those specific wheels. Hes much lighter than me, but he jumped off a highhhh ledge. The force of impact on those axles was ridiculous and yet they still didnt break. The stuff he put them through was force that us normal humans wouldnt get close to applying, so it makes up for the weight difference, lol. 

17 minutes ago, seage said:

After watching Kuji Rolls video on the MSX vs KS18XL I started to worry a lot less about an axle break on those specific wheels. Hes much lighter than me, but he jumped off a highhhh ledge. The force of impact on those axles was ridiculous and yet they still didnt break. The stuff he put them through was force that us normal humans wouldnt get close to applying, so it makes up for the weight difference, lol. 

Er, I dunno about this logic.

Real world, EUC axle breakage occurance has always been about habitual pounding over time, say a year, not just in a short, 1-3 day demo period.

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

Real world, EUC axle breakage occurance has always been about habitual pounding over time, say a year, not just in a short, 1-3 day demo period.

Right, i mean, wear and tear like that is natural with anything so i assume that eventually anything mechanical (or not) is going to lose integrity over time, faster or slower depending on how you use it. I just mean it still made me worry a lot less about going down curbs when I needed to. I'm not really advocating for intensive stair riding or hopping that high on a daily. Or really any of the stuff he did in the video, because even though he did that in the short term, of course after a short amount of time, both wheels would start to fall apart, but im not deathly afraid to hop down to the road once a week, or something. I still would mainly find where the path slopes up and down to reach each surface. But at least im not afraid it will fold like wet pasta under my weight is all i was saying. Sorry i wasn't very clear on that. My mistake.

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure I can drop off a curb (175lbs) and be fine on my MSX, but what about the 10th time? 100? The kind of metal is prone to long term microfractures that suddenly compromise in a big break, at least that's the way I feel. Also, this is my vehicle, I like to baby it, haha. Kuji is nuts, haha.

1 minute ago, seage said:

Right, i mean, wear and tear like that is natural with anything so i assume that eventually anything mechanical (or not) is going to lose integrity over time, faster or slower depending on how you use it. I just mean it still made me worry a lot less about going down curbs when I needed to. I'm not really advocating for intensive stair riding or hopping that high on a daily. Or really any of the stuff he did in the video, because even though he did that in the short term, of course after a short amount of time, both wheels would start to fall apart, but im not deathly afraid to hop down to the road once a week, or something. I still would mainly find where the path slopes up and down to reach each surface. But at least im not afraid it will fold like wet pasta under my weight is all i was saying. Sorry i wasn't very clear on that. My mistake.

Ah, okay, I was gonna say, knowing your risk profile, didn't seem like you were gonna go full X-games on us :lol::lol:

Yeah, the occasional jump down, etc, is fine, just try to decouple the landing buy letting the wheel land first, then you on the pedals, with bent knees trying to absorb some of the shock.

1 minute ago, Hatchet said:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure I can drop off a curb (175lbs) and be fine on my MSX, but what about the 10th time? 100? The kind of metal is prone to long term microfractures that suddenly compromise in a big break, at least that's the way I feel. Also, this is my vehicle, I like to baby it, haha. Kuji is nuts, haha.

Agreed. I guess it's super easy to do when they're not your wheels :lol::lol:

Just now, houseofjob said:

Ah, okay, I was gonna say, knowing your risk profile, didn't seem like you were gonna go full X-games on us :lol::lol:

Yeah, the occasional jump down, etc, is fine, just try to decouple the landing buy letting the wheel land first, then you on the pedals, with bent knees trying to absorb some of the shock.

Lmao! Yeah... I actually just picked up the KS-18XL the other day, so i've been dealing with all this new power and still riding just as safely as before XD. I actually posted this on the video thread, but it does seem fitting for a curb thread. I haven't tried the uphill jump, but I did try to do what you said. I push down slightly, but land almost like i'm trying to jump off a step but not make any sound? Does that make sense? Basically as low impact as possible. I just tried last night. 

4 minutes ago, seage said:

Lmao! Yeah... I actually just picked up the KS-18XL the other day, so i've been dealing with all this new power and still riding just as safely as before XD. I actually posted this on the video thread, but it does seem fitting for a curb thread. I haven't tried the uphill jump, but I did try to do what you said. I push down slightly, but land almost like i'm trying to jump off a step but not make any sound? Does that make sense? Basically as low impact as possible. I just tried last night. 

Nice! Yeah, exactly.

Hopping up curbs at a slow speed ( 2mph) is not really very difficult. The hardest part is timing. Let me explain the logic. Just before touching the curb you want to push down on the wheel. (as you would when jumping) By pushing down you compress the tire. This is like loading a spring to be released. pushing down also starts you in the up direction. When the wheel hits the curb you want most of your weight off the wheel. So..... when the wheel hits the curb it is in the action of springing back up and your weight is not on the wheel. The tire gets traction on the edge of the curb and tends to climb the curb without much effort or impact.  About the time the wheel gets to the top your weight is placed back on the pedals.  On an 18 inch wheel you can do this with up to an 8 inch curb. If you do it right it is much less impact than riding off a curb. 

I don't squeeze the wheel or try to lift it when I jump. I like the looks of the top picture better than the bottom because the wheel is more likely to slip on a rounded edge. Our area still has the old rounded metal capped curbs. They can be quite slippery. 

6 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Reading your comments is making me wonder, if I'm not trying to approach the advanced curbs "thing" too early...

I don’t think other people can tell you the order in which to develop your skills. I know most riders never decide to learn to go up the 4” curb in the linked video I made :). But I used to think that it’s a key skill in balancing oneself even at smaller ledges. I do admit though that the new wheels are so powerful that they don’t get stuck anywhere near as easily as even the 16S, so the skill is not needed nearly as much as it used to.

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The hardest part is timing.

Exactly! And slowing down just before you reach the curb, since the curb will kill any speed very effectively by bouncing the wheel backwards. I hope I was able to show this in the video (link posted by OP earlier):

Reversing is another skill that requires a good amount of learning, which I imagine most riders will not do. But it does improve ones balance at slow riding quite a bit.

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Hopping up curbs at a slow speed ( 2mph) is not really very difficult. The hardest part is timing. Let me explain the logic. Just before touching the curb you want to push down on the wheel. (as you would when jumping) By pushing down you compress the tire. This is like loading a spring to be released. pushing down also starts you in the up direction. When the wheel hits the curb you want most of your weight off the wheel. So..... when the wheel hits the curb it is in the action of springing back up and your weight is not on the wheel. The tire gets traction on the edge of the curb and tends to climb the curb without much effort or impact.  About the time the wheel gets to the top your weight is placed back on the pedals.  On an 18 inch wheel you can do this with up to an 8 inch curb. If you do it right it is much less impact than riding off a curb. 

I don't squeeze the wheel or try to lift it when I jump. I like the looks of the top picture better than the bottom because the wheel is more likely to slip on a rounded edge. Our area still has the old rounded metal capped curbs. They can be quite slippery. 

You're very right about the timing "thing".

It needs to be done at a correct spot...

I need to polish that matter further :)

eh i usually just bend my knees and slow down a bit.. i havent come across anything that was even a problem for my 14" wheel.. the higher the psi the better for obvious reasons, another reason why i always run at max psi.. i can jump the wheel but i only do it on a beater wheel for show,, its not good for any part of it to be jumping lol

37 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

eh i usually just bend my knees and slow down a bit.. i havent come across anything that was even a problem for my 14" wheel..

Until you do. If you are a short and light person and only ride very shallow ”curbs”, you may manage. But you are relying 100% on the wheel’s ability to climb up the obstacle and catch you. Once you realize you’re having your first problem, the wheel is already way behind you, and your bent knees are well on their way to the ground. I also believe the current spike in the wheel is substantially higher that way.

37 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

the higher the psi the better

For the rim yes, but for your success, no. A pumped up tire will bounce back a lot more, while a soft tire will just crawl over the obstacle. I pumped up my MiniPro tires for the summer, but I need to go back a lot lower since I can no longer ride up curbs. The thing just bounces back and my feet jump forward.

15 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Until you do. If you are a short and light person and only ride very shallow ”curbs”, you may manage. But you are relying 100% on the wheel’s ability to climb up the obstacle and catch you. Once you realize you’re having your first problem, the wheel is already way behind you, and your bent knees are well on their way to the ground. I also believe the current spike in the wheel is substantially higher that way.

For the rim yes, but for your success, no. A pumped up tire will bounce back a lot more, while a soft tire will just crawl over the obstacle. I pumped up my MiniPro tires for the summer, but I need to go back a lot lower since I can no longer ride up curbs. The thing just bounces back and my feet jump forward.

im not short but very light, and yea all of the curbs here are basically ground level lol.. i was speaking about good for the tire/rim haha, i cant speak from experience but yea no doubt anything much higher than street level would probably just bounce xD, but its really not good for the tube and rim to be doing that constantly on a low pressure tire and obviously the heavier the rider, the worse it is.. if i had to choose i would likely just hop off and lift it up a tall curb, but maybe i just baby my wheels too much :P

Archived