How to deal with the danger issue?

Training a short time each day in a controlled environment will gradually increase your skills and your confidence. Then as confidence increases continue to limit your speed. It takes a while to become one with the machine.

What you're going through is normal. You are always elated riding EUCs until something happens, then you doubt the entire thing and the inherent instability, then soon you get the urge to ride again, so you get more gear and continue riding and loving it. Until (possibly) something happens again that dents your confidence. And so on.

The trick is to have any falls or accidents so that you learn from them, but so you're not really injured, just forewarned that you could be.

It looks like you had very bad luck (or are very heavy) - breaking both arms (the arms themselves, or something in the wrist?) from a fall that should be mostly inconsequential, this early.

To ride safely:

• Get a strong enough wheel. Big battery, strong motor (all the big battery wheels have a strong motor). The Ninebot isn't strong.
  • Wear protective gear. Wrist guards are a must, also knee guards and a (full face) helmet are mostly standard.
  • Don't ride too fast, and ride safely otherwise (always look where you are going mostly).
  • (If you're fat, lose weight. Less weight on your hands/other body parts in a crash, and more range from the EUC.)
  • Be lucky;) Sometimes you just have good or bad luck. But you can influence what the consequences of bad luck are, should it happen.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

What you're going through is normal. You are always elated riding EUCs until something happens, then you doubt the entire thing and the inherent instability, then soon you get the urge to ride again, so you get more gear and continue riding and loving it. Until (possibly) something happens again that dents your confidence. And so on.

The trick is to have any falls or accidents so that you learn from them, but so you're not really injured, just forewarned that you could be.

It looks like you had very bad luck (or are very heavy) - breaking both arms (the arms themselves, or something in the wrist?) from a fall that should be mostly inconsequential, this early.

To ride safely:

• Get a strong enough wheel. Big battery, strong motor (all the big battery wheels have a strong motor). The Ninebot isn't strong.
  • Wear protective gear. Wrist guards are a must, also knee guards and a (full face) helmet are mostly standard.
  • Don't ride too fast, and ride safely otherwise (always look where you are going mostly).
  • (If you're fat, lose weight. Less weight on your hands/other body parts in a crash, and more range from the EUC.)
  • Be lucky;) Sometimes you just have good or bad luck. But you can influence what the consequences of bad luck are, should it happen.

7 minutes ago, Abortivora said:

I'm not heavy or anything, I have 75kg at 183cm of height, it must've been bad luck. My wrists hurt but no fracture on it. The fracture was in the head of the radius, in the elbow. Both arms.

Wow, then you really had bad luck! Wasn't your weight, obviously. How about you get some elbow guards?;)

The "stronger wheel" comment was more general, your problem clearly was a curb you hit. No wheel can help there. Just really bad luck/being distracted/not looking.

I'd say the most important thing is to wear gear (wrist guards and all the other stuff). You don't have to get a better wheel for safety reasons, you can use the Ninebot safely (with gear and not too fast), but of course a better wheel is good for all the other reasons:D

The plus side is, this might be a good learning experience for you. If you just ride a EUC and never anything happens, you don't really understand the dangers. I only started wearing gear after a crash myself.

Both arms broken? I can imagine that happening to me and not being able to masterbate. 

The common answer is "more protection."

The correct answer is "crash often". You need to be able to crash at lower speeds before you can crash at higher speeds. Practice crashing like the way you would practice any other aspect of EUCs.

Hi @Abortivora , thanks for reporting back.

I think you should sell the wheel and find another hobby.  I mean it.  According to you, you damaged both radius heads and both elbows.  I remember your hospital photo.

You are young and you have damaged both these crucial joints.  Not only could these injuries have a life long impact on your health.....

https://www.elbowdoc.co.uk/radial-head-fracture/

"How will my elbow be after a radial head fracture?

The long term outcome after a radial head fracture depends on the severity of the injury, associated injuries to the elbow, and how the injury has been treated.  In most cases the elbow will return to normal pain free function within three months of injury.  The most common ongoing problem is elbow stiffness.  Ongoing pain may occur as a result of a failure of the fracture to healThe elbow may be more likely to develop “wear and tear” arthritis in the future."

But, if you further injure them, you may have serious trouble with your arms for the rest of your life, and that's a long life, not a reduced life like us 50 year plus, dudes.. You have 20 to thirty years before you are our age.  Imaging living those 20-30 years PLUS  all the ones afterwards, with arms that hurt in the winter, or every day or arms that are stiff and lack a good range of movement.,  This is too high a risk if you ask me.  I don't think you will ever feel that "free and easy" feeling you had before the accident. And what is EUC riding if you can't really enjoy it?

Sure you can build up your skills and get better, but both @Marty Backe and @Rehab1 are skilled experienced riders and they have three injured shoulders between them Shoulders that might never feel normal or move normally ever again .  Shit happens, and shit happens on an EUC fast, and out of the blue.

15 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Both arms broken? I can imagine that happening to me and not being able to masterbate. 

The common answer is "more protection."

The correct answer is "crash often". You need to be able to crash at lower speeds before you can crash at higher speeds. Practice crashing like the way you would practice any other aspect of EUCs.

:dribble:mmm, l scootered for over 18 months with no helmet ...7 crashes, ripped pants/coat, landed on my fist & punched in a rib ...bought a new helmet, painted it "primer grey" & 3 days later landed on my head & cracked another rib in crash No.8

Speed kills, small wheels combined with holes/bumps hurt(a lot), morons walking in the middle of the footpath with big umbrellas are verrrry dangerous ...but murderous motorists in cars deliberately making attempts to run me down & drivers/passengers swearing at me or suddenly beeping their horns or screaming at me as they pass me trying to startle me into losing control/falling really piss me off ...it turns out that the same as it been for bicyclists for many decades, murdering PEV/EV personal electric vehicle users has no consequences for the evil perpertraters ...they just rapidly disappear down the road & are gone or say they didn't see their victim, safe in the knowledge that they are politically-correct scooter haters, ggrrr :eff0541f4a:

ps. l just bought 10 dirt-cheap Rock Brothers imitation USA "spurcycle" bells on alibaba to keep everyone safe ... ring-a-ding ding ding ding ding ding-a-ling dong :pooping: here in NZ we are allowed to use the roads, footpaths, tracks, BUT NOT the bicycle lane, lol

Safety !!! :shock2: that's just an illusion here in NZ that our government has been feeding immigrants & refugees for decades ...a few weeks ago a glue-sniffing street-gang of savages attacked me in my local park (their park) & tried to go through my pockets ...10pm last tuesday night a man was savagely beaten & had his legs smashed in my local park, l found him screaming in agony whilst walking my cat ...and two nights ago, saturday night, a teenage savage on a bicycle transiting through my local park took it upon himself to attack & stab me with his knife. An indian immigrant in his underwear heard my screams for help & ran from his unit to save my life. He told me the NZ Government told him NZ was safe, so l explained it was just a politically correct myth that's also fed to our school children.

mmm, getting squished under a bus or hurt falling off my e-scooter might NOT be all our Brand-New NZ scooterists need to aware off ...universal problem l wonder ??

The point l'm making is ...l'm wondering what the hell l'm going to be in for when my nice new expensive, brightly neon lit-up Dualtron 3 (1st in NZ) arrives from China next month in April ...a friend told me someone would simply bash me over the head & take it off me in the street or l would be followed home & loose it in a home invasion :pooping:

Well, l'm going to extra cherish this particular scooter :wub: scoot over some horizons, do some "runs" & enjoy the sheer joy :dribble: for as long as l can ...life is too short to hide it behind my gate, ggrrr ...l might even give it a name, lol ...mmmm, "bandit" :ph34r: would be appropriate, if our whining politicians get themselves all loved-up & infected with the "singapore pox" :barf:

I’m sorry to hear about your crash, and your arms. Unfortunately, as has been said, all of what you experienced, the crash and bad luck included, are normal.

I think you should sell the wheel and find another hobby.  I mean it. 

Smoother’s point makes sense if one thinks about this in a practical manner. But almost anyone who has ridden an EUC past the learning perioid knows that many other aspects take over the thought process. Speed demon, risk taking adrenaline junkey, time consuming, and just plain fun.

I belong to a high risk group of EUC riders due to my condition, which makes me fragile and slow to heal. Yet I am possibly at the top 5 daily distance riders at the forum, I ride fast, and I love off-roading and speeding on narrow pathways. Why is that? Because I weigh the risks every day, and decide that riding (the way I do) is the most sensible thing to do? Yeah right...

I’m the calmest dude on the block (suburban, 99% families with kids :lol:), but I would  physically attack someone before letting them prevent me from riding. That either wouldn’t be a sensible decision from considering all alternatives.

Besides all the actually sensible positive aspects of riding, it’s addictive at the heroin level (I’d imagine). After the first ride after a 4 month winter break I was on an actual high. And I mean like one’s first drug trip high (I’d imagine). I felt so good to the core, that every single negative thing about my life, all the challenges and burdens, had disappeared completely. Every single thing in the world (politics excluded) had turned great during the 45 minute ride. And I slept like a baby log.

So, the smart approach? Prepare in a way that hits the right balance for you. The fear will diminish every time you have a crashless ride, but the base level has now been lifted. Choose a an EUC that has the power and wheel size you think you’d need to survive sudden potholes, ride in a way that will minimize the risks of crashing with others and the ground, and wear protection that makes you feel adequetly safe for the riding that you wish to do. For me it is a motorcycle jacket with elbow and shoulder shields, leather motorcycle pants with knee shields, leather wrist support gloves, and a helmet with a chin guard.

And I plan on enjoying every single moment of riding for as long as I possibly in any way can. If the rest of my life gets (further) ruined by an EUC crash, I’ve decided to be fine with it. The past 17000km have been worth it.

Archived