cheating.

Chrisxr2

Well not really, but i have to say, as good as i am at setting of and just going, i am finding it much more pleasant to use a pole at traffic lights and crossings or just to set of normally, rather than to push of every time, it gets bloomin sore after going through town and having to mount and remount twenty or so times. And its much easier to get your feet right straight away which you cant always do in an area full of people, as shuffling them makes you a tiny bit more unstable whlist you do it.

Thy shall all burn in IO Hawkertraxx hell for eternity!1!11!! Heed my words! :D:D

I need to stop at least 4 times on my commute and only on one location there is a pole close enough to hold on to (Spoilers: thats where I cheat too) so I have to mount dismount, but its not that often that it starts to annoy or hurt.

I almost always cheat, if you don't you can't really place your feet in the most comfortable position so after a couple of km your feet will start hurting. Which is no fun at all. 

Only time I don't cheat is if there isn't anything nearby I can lean on.

I almost always cheat, if you don't you can't really place your feet in the most comfortable position so after a couple of km your feet will start hurting. Which is no fun at all. 

You might see if you can figure out how to wiggle your feet one at a time into a different position while riding

It works, shift your weight on one foot as far as you can, then lift the toe on the other foot slowly and move it a bit, repeat with the heel. You dont have to wiggle your feet into the right position within 3m since start, no need to rush. If you are more confident, you can even move one foots toe and the other foots heel together.

Ah, my shame is lifted.  I'm far from the only cheater.  What everyone else said.  Getting a good foot position is easier when cheating. 

However, Jag_Rip is giving great advice for adjusting your feet.  I do this all the time now that I have practiced it and it is extremely valuable advice.  I still can't move feet front to back very easily, but side to side, I can do that all day long.  Very Very helpful!

I always hold a pole if it's available (most of the time I need to go to the pole to hit the crosswalk button anyway). But I've also gotten a lot better at starting off, so that I can pretty much just hop on and go without having to do the 'skateboard push' every time.

I take the attitude "why get off the wheel or put your foot down if you can stay on"

Any wall, post, fence or even glass shop front will do for support. The trick is to look cool and just ride up to it and gently put your hand on it for support, don't make a sudden last minute grab for it as it makes you look like you're out of control and using the support to stop yourself falling.

Image is everything! Look cool! :)

I have been out for a ride today and due to you lot making it seem ok I have been cheating like Lance Armstrong! :angry:

:D

Just make sure its casual and cool.

Rule one if ofeel like you need to make a grab for the pole just ride on by, turn and come back to casually lean on it.

It's the next link in the chain, where Humans become EUmans :).

EUmans are adapting to their enviroment, evolution is not cheating.

I'd love to see a documentary by David Attenburough on the evolution of the EUmans :P. I can hear his hushed tones now "Here we see one of the EUmans, holding on to a corner pole, not daring to put a foot down if he can help it." . lol

You might see if you can figure out how to wiggle your feet one at a time into a different position while riding

Wiggling feet in to position is super easy. I do that all the time. The problem comes with relieving pressure from the foot entirely, when you stand on an EUC for 15-20 minutes going up and down hills, curbs and uneven terrain the shaking that comes with it puts increasing pressure on your feet all the time. It's like wearing a latex glove which is too small constantly squeezing your hand just a tiny little bit, but that squeeze is enough for nerves to eventually get pinched and unless you take the glove off you can't completely relieve the pressure. Positioning your feet correctly while cheating means being able to "put them down" in the right spot rather then "drag them im to position" which makes a huge difference after a few minutes of riding.

I have been out for a ride today and due to you lot making it seem ok I have been cheating like Lance Armstrong! :angry:

:D

Well imagine if Lance Armstrong didn't cheat.. He lived in a time where in retrospect we can prove that all of the top 30 in certain races were on drugs, and where they just redacted the medallion rather then pass it down to number 31 on the list because fuck it, that guy finished number 31!

Lance Armstrong cheated, but in a time when everyone did, so he's still the best cyclist. Imagine if he didn't cheat, he might have been the biggest talent of his generation but he wouldn't even have made it to the top 30 and nobody would even know his name.

Yes.  Yes, he did. 

Maybe the biggest talent of Armstrong's generation came 15th, among the 30 cheats.

Can you name him?

No.

If he didn't do drugs, his cycling career bunked, he became a nobody, nobody remembers him, maybe he got a degree, maybe he didn't, maybe he now works in product development for a cycling manufacturer with a salary of $50 or 60k a year riding the new druglords test bikes. Who knows.

All I know is that almost everyone back then did drugs and Lance was the best among them. And if Lance didn't then he'd be that guy who's name nobody knows and nobody would remember. And if he didn't, he'd be the guy above, now more then 40 years old and too old to ever get back the chance he lost. I'd say give him the benefit of the doubt and lets say he was in fact the best of his generation. He didn't do anything his main competitors didn't, he just did what he did better.

Or maybe there was someone honest in there who was better than Armstrong.

Or maybe another cheat who was bettter than Armstrong but whose drugs weren't quite as good.  

That's the thing with cheating - no way of telling who's the best.

The problem comes with relieving pressure from the foot entirely, when you stand on an EUC for 15-20 minutes going up and down hills, curbs and uneven terrain the shaking that comes with it puts increasing pressure on your feet all the time.

Put your weight on one toe while doing the same on the other heel. Hold for a moment or two, then switch. Works best while riding on a smooth surface and is invisible for others.

Archived