starting out I keep going too fast..

eucinsea

Hello All - I wasnt sure if this was the right place for riding/learning questions but here it goes.

So I have been slowly working on learning my EUC (Solowheel Glide 3) and yesterday after watching about 20ish videos I found a new area to practice. In my apartment building storage its all chain link fence and 2/4 a city block long so I thought i would try there. Well after 15 minutes of working on riding and I was able to ride almost the full length of the hallway. I then started practicing getting on without help of fence and that was starting to work out as well.

OK now the question, when I was going forward I seemed to be going too fast without being able to slow down. I kept making sure my feet where properly placed (foot/knee in middle of pedals) but just zoom zoom. Maybe this is just something I need to get used to and learning how to make it slow down when cruising along the hallway while training. I am glad there is also chain link fence on both ends to stop at. :D

I took a couple of videos of myself trying to learn. I am looking at somewhere to post those that's not YouTube or Vimeo (personal privacy reasons on both) I will do that soon I hope.

- prasket

35 minutes ago, prasket said:

took a couple of videos of myself trying to learn. I am looking at somewhere to post those that's not YouTube or Vimeo (personal privacy reasons on both) I will do that soon I hope.

You can use Google photos, then post the link to the video.

Example:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3gWdWxeqYunDwsjM7

3 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

You can use Google photos, then post the link to the video.

Example:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3gWdWxeqYunDwsjM7

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for tip but still Google, I do not have a Google account which is why no Youtube. ( I may or may not be one of those weird tin-foil hat computer security folk)  :D

I do wonder if that would work with Apple Cloud items, I took the video on my iPhone. Let me check that out.

I sounds like your feet are too far forward.

1) The front of your shin should be about the center of the wheel. 

Or

2) The back of your shoe should be even with the edge of the back of your pedal.

Or 

3) Move your feet back an inch to see if it helps. 

Alternatively you can stagger your feet a little. I have my left heel in line with the back of pedal and my right to in line with right front pedal. I then use my left for accelerating and right for braking.

Some might consider this an intermediate level foot position. I feel like it also helps with the really tight turning because the wheel can almost between my legs much like a basketball player dribbling a ball between his legs. 

That being said I learned with both my feet forward. I agree with the above to move back, or stand up straighter. Might be from leaning to far forward due to fear??

OK well lasts nights session was even better than before. I did try different positions with feet and was able to control my speed much better than previous day.

I was even getting the hang of starting off without holding on to the fence. :w00t2:

I read or saw in a video, about slowing down / stopping to squat backwards...

So while I feel "lean back" is not easily workign out for me, sticking my butt backwards going into a squat, like I am about to sit down on a chair seems to give me a good "brake"

This video is linked to the timestamp of his braking test, of course this is extreme, but it may help.

2 hours ago, Leyline said:

I read or saw in a video, about slowing down / stopping to squat backwards...

So while I feel "lean back" is not easily workign out for me, sticking my butt backwards going into a squat, like I am about to sit down on a chair seems to give me a good "brake"

This video is linked to the timestamp of his braking test, of course this is extreme, but it may help.

Lean back, sit down, lean back AND sit down, your choice, Sitting down seems more effective.  I use it when I need to brake hard (if I remember)  for day to day braking a simple lean back works just fine.

If you're auto-accelerating, your center of gravity is too far forward.

Before you adjust your foot position: could it be that you simply bend your body forward a bit instead of standing straight and relaxed? That's the usual instinctual thing new riders tend to do, and it moves the center of gravity forward.

(timecoded at 2:19)

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you're auto-accelerating, your center of gravity is too far forward.

Before you adjust your foot position: could it be that you simply bend your body forward a bit instead of standing straight and relaxed? That's the usual instinctual thing new riders tend to do, and it moves the center of gravity forward.

(timecoded at 2:19)

That's a good training video.  It covers several topic discussed this week alone. In addition to Standing straight/don't look down, there was one leg mounting, and where the wheel should be at the start of one wheel mounting, steering, using a support.  Every newbie should watch this video.

Just do what feels natural to start with i used to worry about my foot position now i move my feet around everywhere , ,, it will come it time,,squating back will be different with a higher torque motor like the msx ,i used to think msx was hard but now i naturally sit back to brake, the kingsongs have a softer sensitively so not as much pressure needed , in time you'll won't even think about it it becomes part of you 😊

@Smoother I definitely saw that video, and I thought to myself, wow he should not be teaching people how to ride while on a bridge!  Then he said it's probably not a good idea for new riders...

I really wished he found another rail and edited his video, I was so clenched thinking about how my wheel flies out from under me when I was training LOL.

OK so I had my first outside excursion earlier today. Went about 4 miles back and forth along the water front here in Seattle. I had a blast and the tips above (especially the sit down to slow method) saved my arse a couple times. Thanks again everyone! I am already loving the community!

I did have a bad tumble but I was able to dismount in time but the euc has a nice crack on it. Almost feels official now haha. :eff034a94a:

I am going to go ahead and order replacement shells for when I am over the beginner hump just in case I want to swap out, especially since only $20. I am also going to get a replacement tube and pedal to have on hand just in case.

Not likely you will ever see a broken pedal, which is very different from the side left shell, a tube and also the trolley handle, which is rather easily damaged.

Archived