King Song Leaning Forward Behaviour [ HELP ]

Tony Morales

1 hour ago, seage said:

Ah yes! I had that. And its now gone. It did feel nice. I wonder if medium mode would give some of that feeling back? Im going to play with the modes and see what they're supposed to feel like. 

Medium mode and soft mode do give a bit of this feeling.

I just remembered, when I got my 16S, I was here the next day asking what’s wrong with my wheel, as it tilts forward quite a bit at speed. Only once I had made several quite risky test rides with a smartphone level on the pedals, did I understand that my body and brain were so accustomed to the IPS Lhotz constantly tilting back, that steady as a rock (+-1 degree) only FELT to me as if it was tilting forward. I couldn’t believe the result, I could’ve bet my left and a half kidney that the wheel tilted! Our brains are weerd.

BTW, the level app can be used on the same phone that connects to the wheel:

1: Connect KS app and start the calibration process. The wheel turns off.

2: Switch to the level app, set the wheel level, and press the power button.

3: You’ll hear 5 separate beeps and then a solid tone. Calibration is done, turn the wheel off.

There is a spot on top of the 16S where you can repeatedly put an iPhone6 in the very same place. For me that was always enough for a succesful calibration. I never had to make supports and stands. The calibration process might have changed slightly.

I also calibrate my MSX a few degrees forward compared to the 16S. The very first batch of MSXs had a horrible SEVEN degree constant tiltback at speed, as it was supposed to enhance the rider control. I think they replaced quite a few wheels, and removed the ”feature”. Could well be that the angle was just decreased to something like 2 degrees, which could be why we like our MSXs calibrated slightly forward.

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

NO.NO. your mixing up two completely different concepts.  Drift is when the gyro slowly over time moves away form the zero setting it had when it was last correctly calibrated.  What you are describing, and feeling, is the behavior of the wheel caused by the algorithm responding to the incorrect zero, caused by the drift.  Again what you are feeling is not the drift, but how the wheel behaves because drift is present.  Correctly re-calibrate the wheel (zero the drift ) and all the funny behavior goes away.

And just to be clear, you can set the pedals at any acceptable angle during calibration, just as long as the side to side orientation as dead on vertical.

Correct. If you look down on the wheel the 0 can drift in any direction.( forward, back, right or left)  If it drifts to the front or back the pedals are no longer level. If it drifts right or left it creates strange dipping behavior. 

I understad that it drifts slowly over time and needs to be recalibrated.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

BTW, the level app can be used on the same phone that connects to the wheel:

1: Connect KS app and start the calibration process. The wheel turns off.

2: Switch to the level app, set the wheel level, and press the power button.

3: You’ll hear 5 separate beeps and then a solid tone. Calibration is done, turn the wheel off.

That's good to know.  I haven't used the "up on blocks" technique so when I calibrate, my wheel is prone to being moved; that's why I use two phones (one with KS app and one with level app) so I don't risk moving the wheel while pushing the button on the KS App that says calibrate.  I must admit i haven't calibrated in ages, maybe 6 months, and I have no drift side effects.  Even my perceived pedal lean back was all in my head, its actually 2deg forward.

I can hear myself becoming preachy about this calibration issue.  If I come across that way, I apologize; I just don't want people to suffer when I have the answer to their problem @seage 's case in point.  I'm no EUC guru, but  the few issues I have successfully dealt with (always with help from forum members) I feel compelled to share, with those travelling the same path, only,  a few blocks behind.  But keeping with the distance analogy, at the rate @seage is riding, he'll be giving me advice soon.

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I calibrated my wheel as well today and found a good video for it.

Ha! I didn’t even remember I had made a video on the subject, good find!

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Ha! I didn’t even remember I had made a video on the subject, good find!

:roflmao:What ever mind altering substances you have been abusing, you can stop now.  Mission accomplished.:D

48 minutes ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao:What ever mind altering substances you have been abusing, you can stop now.  Mission accomplished.:D

I think it’s the party drug called Memory & Subconciousness X-terminator, MSX for short. Makes you forget past life.

Anyway, I won’t stop. I have past stats to live up to!

My 18xl has been bobbing around from level.  I’ve been following the tips here re: calibration in the hope that I can get it to stop.  But so far no luck.  It feels stable for a time , but then inevitably the pedals start to tilt back as I get up to speed, and then if I push it a bit it levels out again.  Almost like a boat coming up onto plane.  And then when I slow down and do a sharp turn at walking speed, the pedals dip forward before coming back to level. When I stop riding, it settles back to level   

I’ve been using level app phone and standard water with the same result. 

Is there anyone else who has this pedal bobbing problem and can’t get it to go away?  

1 hour ago, Paul2579 said:

My 18xl has been bobbing around from level.  I’ve been following the tips here re: calibration in the hope that I can get it to stop.  But so far no luck.  It feels stable for a time , but then inevitably the pedals start to tilt back as I get up to speed, and then if I push it a bit it levels out again.  Almost like a boat coming up onto plane.  And then when I slow down and do a sharp turn at walking speed, the pedals dip forward before coming back to level. When I stop riding, it settles back to level   

I’ve been using level app phone and standard water with the same result. 

Is there anyone else who has this pedal bobbing problem and can’t get it to go away?  

You are describing EXACTLY a calibration issue.  If you are absolutely sure the wheel was 100% level left to right, all through the process, then something else, possibly loose control board, is to blame.  It's unlikely and a pain to check (checking the screws holding the board down are tight)

Simplest thing to do is another calibration, maybe use different level app or a real (short) level, that is confirmed to be true. Maybe a different procedure too, e.g up on blocks, or not depending on your original method.  My money is on an accurate calibration. 

7 hours ago, Paul2579 said:

I haven’t tried blocks yet.  When it’s up in blocks, doesnt the wheel spin?   (Or maybe not b/c it’s level?)

Yes it could spin, @seage mentioned he put a block of wood against the tyre.  If you like your pedals at an angle other than zero(front to back) leave it on the ground.  What I do (haven't done it in a long time) is prop it up against a wall maintaining exact left to right level by pressing it against the wall.  This also prevents movement during the process.  Use what ever you want; knee, hand, family member, wooden stick, as long as its level and stationary until the long beep.

Good luck, let us know if it works.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:01 PM, Paul2579 said:

I haven’t tried blocks yet.  When it’s up in blocks, doesnt the wheel spin?   (Or maybe not b/c it’s level?)

If you plug the charger in after you put it on blocks and then turn it on the wheel wont spin, on the 16s at least.  My mcm5 will spin with out without the charger plugged in though. 

Hello Tony,

I had the same problem and found no solution. I Even changed the board without finding any changes. The situation persists but I have become accustomed.

Here's the thread where I commented on the problem.

Luck.

Archived