Kingsong 18 L or 18 XL?

Shellz

I recently purchased a Kingsong 18XL but I have a suspicion that it might be an 18L.  I’m new to the game so there is a good chance I’m completely wrong.  The first thing that threw me off was the 8 inch pedals.  One of the main reasons I chose the XL was because of the larger 10 inch pedals (I got some big feet).  Does the KS 18XL come in smaller pedals or is it specifically manufactured with the 10 inchers?  The Kingsong manual that came with it gives no mention of an XL and every app I have it hooked up to describes the device as 18L. The weight of the wheel however seems right, as it weighs in as the XL was described.

Im just wondering if there is any way to specifically check on my wheel to see exactly what model it is I have (ie serial number etc).  Like I stated before I’m new to EUC’s so any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you

• Upvote 1

The XL does have unique firmware running, but I don't recall where you can see that. Maybe in the Firmware update section of the KingSong app?

The large pedals were created by the collaboration of EWheels with KingSong. So if you buy from EWheels you get the large pedals. If you buy elsewhere you get the small pedals. Of course you can purchase the larger pedals and install them yourself.

Here's a screenshot that shows the XL

Screenshot_20190110-115354.thumb.png.9e7

Also, it'll take >12 hours to charge the XL

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2019 at 12:07 AM, Marty Backe said:

The XL does have unique firmware running, but I don't recall where you can see that. Maybe in the Firmware update section of the KingSong app?

The large pedals were created by the collaboration of EWheels with KingSong. So if you buy from EWheels you get the large pedals. If you buy elsewhere you get the small pedals. Of course you can purchase the larger pedals and install them yourself.

Here's a screenshot that shows the XL

Screenshot_20190110-115354.thumb.png.9e7

Also, it'll take >12 hours to charge the XL

Hmmm....I get this:

2z4wcbo.jpg

It might have to do with the version of the older version of the KS app I'm using [1.4.6(19)], as the current version (fails to detect my wheel. Range-wise, things appear to be consistent with an XL battery: I've done 40 km (24 miles) since the last charge and have 72% battery left (as reported by WheelLog; the KS app says I ALWAYS have 100% battery...<_<). The wheel's led indicators display 7/9, so that would be somewhere in the range of 63-72%).

As to a counterfeit wheel, my distributor tells me that he buys his wheels from a large European distributor that has an important contract with KS, and pays a hefty price for them, so counterfeit isn't an option. For now I'm attributing it to the (damn) KS app. Will try again as soon as a newer version of the app is released...

4 hours ago, travsformation said:

Hmmm....I get this:

2z4wcbo.jpg

It might have to do with the version of the older version of the KS app I'm using [1.4.6(19)], as the current version (fails to detect my wheel. Range-wise, things appear to be consistent with an XL battery: I've done 40 km (24 miles) since the last charge and have 72% battery left (as reported by WheelLog; the KS app says I ALWAYS have 100% battery...<_<). The wheel's led indicators display 7/9, so that would be somewhere in the range of 63-72%).

As to a counterfeit wheel, my distributor tells me that he buys his wheels from a large European distributor that has an important contract with KS, and pays a hefty price for them, so counterfeit isn't an option. For now I'm attributing it to the (damn) KS app. Will try again as soon as a newer version of the app is released...

I had an older version of the KS app installed when I got my XL, and it gave the same Illegal Equipment message. Upgraded the app and it's fine now.

Well, it's not fine, it's still the terrible KingSong app, but...it works, at least.

• Upvote 2

On 1/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, Mimir said:

I had an older version of the KS app installed when I got my XL, and it gave the same Illegal Equipment message. Upgraded the app and it's fine now.

Well, it's not fine, it's still the terrible KingSong app, but...it works, at least.

Thanks! Glad to know I'm not the only one who got that message. Not that I was too concerned, but "illegal equipment" does sound rather unsettling 😂

Will wait until a new version of the app is released, as the current one doesn't even discover my wheel. But aside from maybe changing tilt back and such, I don't really have much need / use for the KS app. 

And couldn't agree more on the app... Wheel manufacturers in general really need to up their games in the app department. I can understand and tolerate this level of sloppiness for cheap appliances, but not for $2K+ wheels... 

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2019 at 9:53 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Then you got an XL. 1544Wh ("1600Wh").

The XL also has a new trolley handle (painted black instead of bare aluminium). Or you could just weigh the thing to confirm it's an 18XL.

And what is the weight of 18L and 18XL?

On 6/5/2019 at 3:39 PM, Augus said:

I've bought 18XL and the weight is 23'4Kg, but the specifications say 25Kg. 
Can anyone tell me the weight of the 18L? 

Thanks

I think @Dave U has a 18L.. Let me drag him in this thread so maybe he can weight his 18L. :cheers:

1 hour ago, Kens said:

I think @Dave U has a 18L.. Let me drag him in this thread so maybe he can weight his 18L. :cheers:

My 18L weighs in at 22.22Kg / 49Lbs.:thumbup:

Edited by Dave U
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eliran said:

I just bought a XL but so disapponted with the starting speed. . . . maybe it´s because the weight? 18L would be a better choice because it´s lighter?

There is talk of a new firmware update that improves acceleration.
Also depending on what EUC you have been on previously it requires some change in technique and so on when shifting to a heavier / bigger wheel.
Give it some time. :)

Went for a quick 5 mile ride to get the feel of the 18L before I did the update. After the update I went for a 12 mile ride and yes there is an improvement! It basically feels like I purchased a K&N Performance air filter and premium brake pads for a Toyota Camry.  It’s still a Camry, but now it’s has more snap when you accelerate the wheel, and the braking has more bite.

The wheel was at version 1.11 before I updated to 1.13. Not sure if everyone experienced what I went thru but as I was updating the wheel, it would cycle thru 75% back down to 0% then maybe 58% drop down to 0%, 35% - 0%, 64% - 0%. It done this maybe 15 times. Towards the end it went to 97% then dropped down to 0%, I was getting frustrated and then it finally went to 100% “update complete”. Took around 15-20 minutes to update.  

Because I knew I needed to calibrate the wheel after the update, I placed the wheel true level (front and back, side to side) to get the wheel ready for calibration. FYI when you reboot the wheel, it automatically calibrated the wheel. So if you haven’t done the update 1.12 yet like me, it would be best if you level the wheel while it’s updating, and save some time, because it going to auto calibrate after reboot. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 6:15 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

There is talk of a new firmware update that improves acceleration.
Also depending on what EUC you have been on previously it requires some change in technique and so on when shifting to a heavier / bigger wheel.
Give it some time. :)

I´ll do it. Thank you ;-)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi I am Al. 
I’m considering buying king song 18 XL You’ve given me a lot to think of !  Now I’m concerned I may not be getting what I paid for.  And all those problems with the app. Might be more trouble than it’s worth. How do I know what’s the right price to pay for an electric unicycle. The KS 18 XL price range the 2000 W motor goes from $1400 all the way up to $2100. The one I want KS 18 XL with a 2200 W motor. I’m hoping I’m hoping to pay $1600 is that possible?

• 1 year later...

I don't own either, but the XL has twice the battery as the L so it should be about 5-7 lbs heavier and it should go almost twice as far... which helps zero so I apologize. The only way to be sure is to open it up and count the battery packs, I suspect there will be one on each side of the wheel if you do indeed have an XL.

11 minutes ago, East Coast said:

some of the things say 18L

Which things say 18L and which say 18XL? Apps often assign a model designation based on the control board's serial number, and those don't always line up properly. My replacement control board reports the wheel as a 16X when the control board is (near as I can tell) for a 16XS so the apps aren't 100%.

2 minutes ago, East Coast said:

the sticker inside the rim starts KS-18-ZX

I'm pretty sure that's the motor model/serial number. What model do the apps say it is? The KingSong app is probably the most reliable for getting device info (not for much anything else though!), it should be in the 'device' section.

Edited by Tawpie