Wheel to upgrade to from Inmotion V8/Solowheel 3

maxkan

Hi guys,

Could you recommend a wheel to upgrade form the V8/S3?

I'd like at least 1.5x more range, speed is fine, same or not much bulky, no less than 16 inch, more safe and less cutoff-prone, with more powerful engine. Trolley handle is a must.

I'd like it to be more agile/sensitive, with faster acceleration and faster braking

My routine commute is maybe 40% sidewalks and 60% city roads, 7 miles one way

What would be the best choice?

someone just got a nice deal from email only offer on gear best. V10 for £658 (~$850). unbelievably cheap. You might be able to ask gearbest to give you the same offer.

Otherwise go secondhand and get a Tesla or something... although if you're willing to spend a lot that new KS18XL looks nice :p 

I "upgraded" from my V8 to a Gotway Tesla, theres a few pros and cons. 

pros - more range, speed, power (can brake harder without worrying of overpowering), feels more stable at higher speeds, better tire..

cons - no handle button, not as nice looking, not as good off road (lower pedals), lower build quality (plastics are more likely to crack if dropped), lights/sounds not programable. app sucks. less safety features (warning sounds /tiltback can be ignored/removed).

all the cons can easily be overlooked - tesla is an excellent machine.

honestly, if you wanting something as a full allround upgrade without cons, just stick with inmotion and get the V10. otherwise check out the king songs, they may be even better, however they're more expensive. faster and more range though, and are pretty close in design.

i'd watch the youtube videos on speedyfeet channel, they give a really good indepth overview of what to expect. there's vids a guy chooses a new wheel, he takes the V10 over MSX, KS18L, KS16S. Basically because its a more useful allrounder / comfortable commuter.

V10F has extra battery capacity, but is slightly heavier.

places to shop

#1 always check local resellers (they'll give the best warranty, quickest delivery etc.)

Ebay/gumtree - don't be afraid to look at second hand options - wheels are really low maintenance and will be good for 1000sof miles. usually if theres something wrong its going to be within the first hundred miles or so of use. scratches etc can be overlooked easily.

Aliexpress - Gotways - MSuperX, Monster, MCM5, Tesla etc.

Aliexpress - ninebot z10,

Gearbest - inmotion v10, ninebot z6

inmotion website - V10F

kingsong website - kingsongs

speedyfeet.co.uk

ewheels.com

just shop around to get the best deal, and do your research to avoid disappointment.

2 hours ago, Daniel Hollinghurst said:

if you wanting something as a full allround upgrade without cons, just stick with inmotion and get the V10

Not quite without cons. The V10 weighs 7kg more than the V8! And it seems to have a rare but rather serious fire catching issue due to a poor design of the battery casing and water intrusion, which leaves some serious question marks on the evolution of the engineering quality standards at InMotion.

4 minutes ago, Mono said:

Not quite without cons. The V10 weighs 7kg more than the V8! And it seems to have a rare but rather serious fire catching issue due to a poor design of the battery casing, which leaves some serious question marks on the evolution of the engineering quality standards at InMotion.

hah fair comment, i think new units won't have issues, they recalled them etc. To get a significant upgrade in power 7kgs aint bad

ks16s ticks the boxes, if you want low weight. but not much of an upgrade really.

ewheels charts are useful:

eWheels-Highend-Products-16-Apr-18.jpg

eWheels-Product-Lineup-29-Oct-18.jpg

My vote goes for Tesla. It is faster, lighter, more agile than Z10, V10.

Compared to V8 or KS16s is a big upgrade. I have Tesla since 6 months, I traveled over 1000km without any issues.

I have a G3 and a V10. I love them both.  can't speak to the experience of riding a Z10 or a Tesla as I have not ridden them. I hope the same factors are taken into consideration before posts are made that may guide new riders. I am a dik, but want to help new riders by being truthful, sorry... is there a perfect car, no. same goes with wheels, it is personal preference and experience. 

I have a Solowheel Glide 3/V8 and a Z10.  For me, I think the Z10 is a natural upgrade.  They both perform similarly at low speeds.  Very quick and agile, but the Z10 is the road warrior and is perfectly suited for commuting due to the stability from the wide tire.  I wouldn’t give up either wheel, but the Z10 would be my choice if I could only keep one.  

On 11/5/2018 at 10:56 PM, maxkan said:

Why are you guys suggesting Tesla and not MSX? <checked the wheel size and I guess I know the answer>

You said not bulky. The MSX is my upgrade of choice after starting with the V8. It does appear like it will be bulky. Arrives soon, so I'll find out.

I considered the Z10 as well. The V10 just didn't seem like much of an upgrade to me, but I haven't actually been on anything but the V8.

KS18XL is tempting. Looks like Z10 has motherboard issues so probably not an option... Tesla is not last-gen

V10f looks like a safe upgrade but my concern is that there would not be much difference from V8, also the handle is ugly

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

??? Can you elaborate?

That info comes from the wheel comparison screenshot in this topic, above. "Controller reliability" row is "<10% defects/year" for Z10 which is the highest from all the wheels in the table

Archived