KS-18L and KS-18XL rapid charging

Daniel Clopton

10 hours ago, deddycool said:

@Jason McNeilHi! I have a fast charger for my Inmotion V10 and I also have a KS 18XL wheel. Im looking for an adapter that can transform a GX 12-3 charger to a KingSong KS18L/KS18XL charging pin. I dont want to buy another whole charger so Im wondering is there any alternate solution for that. I hope you can help me with that. Thank you!

Actually I did opposite. Using 84V 3.5A smart charger bought for KS, also for IM. I think, also, factory charger for KS or IM is practically the same. So you can using both vice versa. It is only matter of connectors. You can get Lenovo male connector and GX12-3 male and build very easily reduction from IM to KS.

KS is not using central pin in Lenovo connector (fortunately, because it is very thin) but thicker side plates. So you have to get plain Lenovo male connector (without cable) to be able to solder shield as "+" and inner plates as "-".

Reduction_KS_V8.jpg

Reduction_IM_KS.jpg

Edited by jitesar
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 12:26 PM, jitesar said:

Actually I did opposite. Using 84V 3.5A smart charger bought for KS, also for IM. I think, also, factory charger for KS or IM is practically the same. So you can using both vice versa. It is only matter of connectors. You can get Lenovo male connector and GX12-3 male and build very easily reduction from IM to KS.

KS is not using central pin in Lenovo connector (fortunately, because it is very thin) but thicker side plates. So you have to get plain Lenovo male connector (without cable) to be able to solder shield as "+" and inner plates as "-".

Reduction_KS_V8.jpg

Reduction_IM_KS.jpg

This is interesting as I’m looking for a fast charger for my wheels. KS18xl, V8 and the future V11. All 84v so one charger should be enough. I just need three different plugs. 

Anybody have recommendations for good rapid charger and how to do different plugs?

The ones with cutoff from 1rad are nice, you can find the same on Ali a bit cheaper if you search for jr-t450. Else for budget non adjustable I have one from Ali under the brand Wate which seem fine.

As for soldering I’ll leave the answer to someone else as I have no great technique to come with, but it’s fairly straight forward. For my 12A adjust charger I used a XT60 plug due to high power, but if you stay within 5A you could use the GX16 port type Gotway uses it is very common.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:34 AM, null said:

The ones with cutoff from 1rad are nice, you can find the same on Ali a bit cheaper if you search for jr-t450. Else for budget non adjustable I have one from Ali under the brand Wate which seem fine.

Do you know about weights for these chargers? That 1rad charger looks really nice (and I could make an adapter for it) but the weight seems to be 2kg. For me the fast charger will mostly be used on longer trips and the main purpose is to give me more range. Hence, it’ll be always carried in my backpack where weight matters. 

I’m trying to find a lighter option. I might need to settle for less features and amps. A 3.5A charger from eunicycle.eu (1kg)  paired with standard charger (0.5kg) is lighter and also 5A on V11 dual ports. 

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Sure, just checked, the 84V/5A adjustable is just 1,28 Kg including the cables. I bring it if going far, it’s fast enough to be useful.

I also have a 12A (adj) but it is much bigger, not so handy. Also very noisy where the 5A is acceptable.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, null said:

Sure, just checked, the 84V/5A adjustable is just 1,28 Kg including the cables. I bring it if going far, it’s fast enough to be useful.

I also have a 12A (adj) but it is much bigger, not so handy. Also very noisy where the 5A is acceptable.

Thank you. Not too bad so I ordered it. Now on to finding parts for adapter...

The ones from 1rad can come with various connectors including inmotion I believe to have seen. Or gotway base + adapter they make. Aliexpress seller is more limited..

2 minutes ago, null said:

The ones from 1rad can come with various connectors including inmotion I believe to have seen. Or gotway base + adapter they make. Aliexpress seller is more limited..

I got the gotway base + adapter for Inmotion. Kingsong Lenovo was only offered alone. I’ll probably find an adapter for gotway’s gx16-4 -> lenovo, but the polarity might be a problem. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I got the gotway base + adapter for Inmotion. Kingsong Lenovo was only offered alone. I’ll probably find an adapter for gotway’s gx16-4 -> lenovo, but the polarity might be a problem. 

Ok I see, yes it’s a shame they don’t sell them separately. Would be nice if someone produced that, many of us have same voltage wheels from different manufacturers.

• Like 1