KS-18L and KS-18XL rapid charging

Daniel Clopton

2 hours ago, Seba said:

Don't go that way. Just buy cable like this one - https://allegro.pl/kabel-zasilacza-lenovo-prostokat-11-4-5-mm-z-pinem-i6267063205.html - and replace cables yourself :)

Thanks. So even if that cable was made for a laptop charger, it will be able to stand 84V 5A?

3 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Thanks for that @eddiemoy :)

About eWheel, great for US, but I'm in Europe.

1Rad Werkstatt from Germany has adapter cables to use Gotway fast chargers on 18L/XL, but unfortunately he never replied to my emails or Facebook messages and he didn't list that product on his site.

I'll see if YZPower finally can do it or not, what you shared may help with that 

He is/was just very busy...please try again...

Have you used this email?

1radwerkstatt@gmx.de

He should have those Adapters in stock..i have one of them from 1Rad. Very good Quality!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, US69 said:

He is/was just very busy...please try again...

Have you used this email?

1radwerkstatt@gmx.de

He should have those Adapters in stock..i have one of them from 1Rad. Very good Quality!

Thanks I will try again. Yes, I used that email.

Edited by Jean Dublin

Just now, Jean Dublin said:

Thanks I will try again. Yes, I used that email.

Are you using your Name "Jean" somewhere in the E-Mail adress? If you want i can give him a hint, as i am in contact with him very often.

Something must went somehow wrong if he didnt answer...he is not that type of guy not to react at all.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

Thanks. So even if that cable was made for a laptop charger, it will be able to stand 84V 5A?

This cable is 20 AWG, so is rated for 5 Amps. You can even buy two cables, connect them in parallell and use both charging ports in KS-18L/XL. This will somewhat improve charging efficiency.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, US69 said:

PleaseContact him by mentioned E--Mail..he should answer today...but is gone then for small holiday the next three days 

Thanks, he replied to me a moment ago telling me that :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Also KingSong Poland is selling 300W 84V 3A Fast charger

Yes, would recommend this or with Chris @ 1rads...

Chris sells 5A for 85 euros plus shipping

If those aren't suitable you can make one yourself using the lenovo cable and a separate power unit

This way is slightly more annoying as you need a voltmeter and likely solder the connections together  :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a 5A charger from AliExpress and the adaptor cable from GX16-4 to Lenovo from Chris (1Rad...)

Still need to try it, but it should be fine.

The cable of the adapter seems thin, but if Chris says its fine for 5A then it should be, he knows what he's doing.

Now I just wonder what the charging time is like.

If the normal 1.5A is 10% to 100% in about 7h, then 5A is 10% to 100% in 2h.

Now, what about 20% to 80%? I guess about 1h or even 40min? As what takes the longest is the 80-100 part.

If there is something like a chart showing the charging speed it would be good.

Edited by Jean Dublin

Charging speed is proportional to the A of the charger until the last 10-20% (number actually depends on the amperage of the charger, but for simplicity just assume it's the same between chargers). The last 10-20% is always at the same speed.

So charging from anything to 80-90% (or whatever) is 5/1.5=3.33 times faster than with the standard charger, and the last 10-20% take roughly the same time as with the standard charger.

In other words, filling up is over three times faster, but the final topping up takes more or less the same time.

What part takes how long, you have to try. But this can help you estimate.

-

So if you ever go for a looooong ride and need to charge in between, don't waste your time with charging to 100%, just continue the ride at 80%. Rinse and repeat. This gives you the most efficient use of charging time. Works for every charger.

(If you have a charge doctor or the charger displays the current, you can see when the current starts to drop, and check the according battery percentage where the charging starts to lose time efficiency.)

-

@Chriull may or may not be posting a lot of graphs soon:)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the info :)

I don't have a charge doctor and the charger doesn't show current, but maybe checking the KS App will show the current % of battery while charging.
Or may show close to 100% when it actually isn't, as it's charging and the voltage shows more than it is. It would not be very practical to disconnect the charger to check on the KS app, but still an option.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

I did the test, here the results.

d5fN0Sr.jpg

Great work!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 2:38 PM, Jean Dublin said:

I did the test, here the results.

d5fN0Sr.jpg

This actually is 4.5A charger, not 5A.
Well, I ordered 4.5A, but the charger sticker says 5A, so, not sure anymore.

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Gotham said:

i do a video when the li-ion burst..... incredible

the man on bike fall on his bag , and the li-ion burst...

I shared this video on fb a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness that it wasn't a wheel and no one was seriously injured. 

• Like 1

question, I have an 8A charger from my Dualtron that should charge an 18S properly (same GX16 +1 -3 as the Dualtron, both 60V).  Anyone know the wire gauge inside the 18S?  I know its a little off topic, apologies in advance.  If it's a solid 14AWG silicone multi-strand wiring, it should take 8A all day long, especially on the 1680Wh variant (16S 28Ah).

• 8 months later...

@Jason McNeilHi! I have a fast charger for my Inmotion V10 and I also have a KS 18XL wheel. Im looking for an adapter that can transform a GX 12-3 charger to a KingSong KS18L/KS18XL charging pin. I dont want to buy another whole charger so Im wondering is there any alternate solution for that. I hope you can help me with that. Thank you!