Kingsong 18L Wrong Tire Direction

baracuda50

I've read here somewhere that at the speed we are driving it is not that important (but I am not sure, at 40 it could be a problem, no?). And another point, that the braking would be improved if I leave the tire in the opposite direction.

For now, I have left it in the opposite (wrong) direction.

What do others suggest?

1 hour ago, The Wheel Plug said:

Does the 18l not have a headlight? Lol

It has two actually... King Song wheels can be ridden in either direction, with the head / tail light swapping depending on the direction you ride.

However many of the OCD afflicted amongst us simply can't deal with the duplicity and need to know where the front should be...   :blink1:

Notice the same "issue"; mud flap at the opposite of the power button and tyre apparently mounted the wrong way... Not very serious from the company to mount the mud flap the wrong way then. and it's true that having the light sensor at the front could help with the issue with our front light being shut when a car is behind us; 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 3:44 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It has two actually... King Song wheels can be ridden in either direction, with the head / tail light swapping depending on the direction you ride.

However many of the OCD afflicted amongst us simply can't deal with the duplicity and need to know where the front should be...   :blink1:

Guilty as charged, already swapped mine. ??

• Like 2

When I first read this thread I thought it was silly since the KS18L can go either way... But, you were right!  The tread direction was going in the wrong direction per the implied direction with the mud flap... and yes, the I moved the mud flap to the other side.  But, it felt weird.  The pedals seemed to be at a slightly different angle.  Now, I'm really new to EUCs and today just got to about 500 yards on my own... (woo hoo) but the pedal did not feel right. It was dipped down just a tad.   So, i readjusted the Horizontal adjustment... feels great again.

Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, See6 said:

When I first read this thread I thought it was silly since the KS18L can go either way... But, you were right!  The tread direction was going in the wrong direction per the implied direction with the mud flap... and yes, the I moved the mud flap to the other side.  But, it felt weird.  The pedals seemed to be at a slightly different angle.  Now, I'm really new to EUCs and today just got to about 500 yards on my own... (woo hoo) but the pedal did not feel right. It was dipped down just a tad.   So, i readjusted the Horizontal adjustment... feels great again.

Thanks!

When I switched my mudflap to the opposite end of the wheel the pedal felt slightly tilted to the rear. I test-rode with the pedals in this position and noticed that it was easier to make the wheel accelerate faster and harder.  

While I did enjoy the feeling of being able to command more speed going forward, the slight tiltback of the pedal position after switching sides with the mudflap caused me to feel as if I was leaning back too far when braking. The recalibration fixed it. 

Edited by Lutalo

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, phatmike said:

How do you exactly recalibrate the pedal adjustment? I tried but I think I mess up with something and I cant find that "sweet position" anymore.

Thank you

I use a level on the pedal. For me the sweet spot is perfectly level,  but some like it leaning slightly counter to their normal riding direction. However,  I find that leaning it slightly rear doesn't work as well for me because I feel uncomfortable with how far to the rear I must lean my body when I brake hard. I prefer more comfortable braking to easier acceleration. Braking is far more likely than acceleration to save my ass.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2018 at 12:25 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

There has been a lot of debate about the tyre direction being wrong on the 18L - and this extends into which is the front or the back.

Having read a lot of these discussions and talked a little with my contacts at King Song, my understanding is that the power button is actually intended to be on the back of the wheel (and the light sensor on the front). In fact if you look at the diagram in the manual, it clearly shows the power button on the same side as the mud-flap.

But it seems that a lot of the wheels are shipping with the mud-flap on the other side...

As stated above, it probably doesn't really matter, but if you have enough OCD in you, swap the mud-flap to the other side - it worked for me (and my OCD).

OMG THANK YOU! At this point, I'm going to just assume you are right, and not let anyone convince me otherwise. I was JUST about to cave into my ocd and remove the tire to swap its direction. ANY unneccesary opening of the euc sucks, as those screws and plastic wear so easily.  Not to mention, wrestling a stupid tire and try not to ruin a good tube. Before reading this, I just assumed it shipped to me correctly and THEY know more than i could. I like your answer better than mine. Makes perfect sense the power be behind you and the sensor in front. Wrong or right, THANK YOU a jillion times....    Happily resurrected thread in my book, still relevant.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

OMG THANK YOU! At this point, I'm going to just assume you are right, and not let anyone convince me otherwise. I was JUST about to cave into my ocd and remove the tire to swap its direction. ANY unneccesary opening of the euc sucks, as those screws and plastic wear so easily.  Not to mention, wrestling a stupid tire and try not to ruin a good tube. Before reading this, I just assumed it shipped to me correctly and THEY know more than i could. I like your answer better than mine. Makes perfect sense the power be behind you and the sensor in front. Wrong or right, THANK YOU a jillion times....    Happily resurrected thread in my book, still relevant.

I've been riding this way since before my post (so probably 18+ months now) and I haven't had any problems whatsoever...   :D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Out for a ride today,  on my newly acquired wheel. I checked the tire and YUP, its mounted backwards. My other 18L came with the power button on back per tire direction, but i had to swap mud flap. My newest wheel has the tire mounted the OTHER way. So, 2 wheels, same kind, different tire mounting direction.  I will remount the tire and make sure to reset the bead, as I will not have 2 identical wheels with tires opposite. 

Edited by ShanesPlanet

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Out for a ride today,  on my newly acquired wheel. I checked the tire and YUP, its mounted backwards. My other 18L came with the power button on back per tire direction, but i had to swap mud flap. My newest wheel has the tire mounted the OTHER way. So, 2 wheels, same kind, different tire mounting direction.  I will remount the tire and make sure to reset the bead, as I will not have 2 identical wheels with tires opposite. 

Another 18L? :huh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Another 18L? :huh:

I think @ShanesPlanetwill surprise us soon as he rides to the gas station with 2 18L's at the same time to impress the kids loitering there. With 2 different wheels this might be even harder. :roflmao:

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, buell47 said:

I think @ShanesPlanetwill surprise us soon as he rides to the gas station with 2 18L's at the same time to impress the kids loitering there. With 2 different wheels this might be even harder. :roflmao:

Not that difficult when you are 13, it seems :)

C80CFBFB-7C32-4501-8515-D5E69C17FC15.jpeg

• Like 1