Inmotion V8 mods - foot pads and stand bumper

t0me

19 hours ago, John Genx Corless said:

Cool - I'm definitely stealing your bumper/stand mod ?  I'm thinking of giving my V8 a wrap (vinyl) in white, to reflect sunlight heat better - so hot here in South East Spain i'm surprised it's not melted already.

Please post the result once you have done this. I have been toying with the idea myself. But I have no experience with doing vinyl warp myself.

27 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

The V10 series needs that kind of stand badly. Nice mod. I might try it myself. 

V5 has these screw holes on the shell for mounting mudguard or some other accessories, are these also present on V10?
These could also be used for mounting a nice stand.

31 minutes ago, xebeche said:

V5 has these screw holes on the shell for mounting mudguard or some other accessories, are these also present on V10?
These could also be used for mounting a nice stand.

I haven’t seen any screw holes on it. 

• 10 months later...
On 6/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, t0me said:

Some of the mods I've done.

Stickers to cover all the scratches ?

A front bumper/stand   (3mm aluminium flatbar,  bend to shape,  double sided tape to hold it on)

Larger foot pads/plates/pedals  (remove skid pads,   remove top plate,  5 screws,   screw on 4mm aluminium plate cut to fit and drilled for existing screw holes,  add skateboard deck tape).
Should make longer trips easier on my feet.   Heaps of grip.   Folds as original,  and I've had no pedal strikes in testing so far.   I used the original plates as template for the holes and slot.   Used longer screws (10mm).

600km's on the wheel so far,  and loving it.

What have you done to yours?

20180617_140134.jpg

20180617_150012.jpg

20180617_150024.jpg

Hi. I'm just about to order some Alu for the extensions. i just wanted to check if you feel 4mm was the correct thickness to go for? Do you get any flexing? Would you go with 4mm again if doing it now? Thanks

Yup totally.   I don't know the grade of Alu I used,  it was scrap from a mate but certainly this is more than enough for the job for me and I'm over 100kg.
I needed slightly longer screws and countersunk would be better than the dome headed ones I had handy.   The old top plate acts as a template for the holes and skateboard deck tape over the top finishes the job.   Can still get the case off easily with them on and it doesn't interfere with the normal pedal operation.

I really like that customisation - really makes it personal and yours! I guess the pedal extensions might dig in a bit in a crash and get bent out of shape, but should be economical to repair. Looks super comfy - I'm jealous.

All I've done to mine (in the vein of road bicycles) is to add a few ~ 10 cm sections of front (white), rear (red) and side (white) reflector tape in a vague attempt to make it appear more "road-legal" and less toy-thing I guess.

Could use some pinch weld on the edges,  but they haven't damaged me or been damaged yet - and I've stacked it many (far too many) times since fitting them. 

Perfect thanks! I’ve ordered 4mm “hard Alu” sheets cut to size. I’ll just need to cut the corners off or jigsaw a semi circle as yourself has done (was this easy?). I’ll then round off all the edges thoroughly. Only costs £10 for both, plus £5 for extra coarse grip tape. Not bad compared to £100 for the v10 pedals that would still be too short. The extra 4mm height should help with grounding too. I’ll post a few pics once  done. Thanks for the advice 😬

So I have completed my pedal extensions and they look near identical to T0me's above so i'm very happy with the end result. :D I took the V8 out yesterday off roading to test them out and was very impressed, especially with the super coarse grip tape that is just in a different league to the original tape. What it has highlighted to me, which is something i've been pondering for a while, is if anyone has considered or attempted a swivel pedal? :confused1:

So let me explain and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. When I bend my knees into a semi-squat to absorb bumps my toes naturally want to rotate outwards, however when upright my toes are naturally pointing forwards. Up until now I have set off with my toes slightly pointing outwards in a kind of happy medium position and with the inferior original grip tape (with some dirt on) I have been able to adjust if need be, although eventually losing grip and tiring my feet. With the super coarse grip tape there is no possibility of quick sideways adjustments to ease the pressure on my knees when squatting.

So my idea, and i am no engineer so this could be horrendously dangerous, is to have a second plate between the original pedal and extension that then has a pivot bolt at the heel connected to the upper extension plate. It would then need an arched cutout at the ball with loose bolt as a guide that enables the sideways movement to the desired toe angle when squatting. 

If anyone understands what i'm picturing, i'd love to know your thoughts as to whether something like this is possible, would work, would end up failing, would end in severe injury ... :efefb6a84e:

I've also wondered if the spikes that some riders add to the pedals for extra grip might enable this movement if just one was added to the heel. Could this act as a pivot on the sole of my shoe?

I think you're thinking of is like boyessen flex grips I have on my quad bike.   The grips inner has a layer that's made of specially cut plastic that allows the grips a mm or 2 flex.
Takes a lot of strain out of your wrists.   
I'm thinking that if its not quite what you mean it could still be a good mod.  Like this would attach to the base foodpedal,  then the ali plate ontop of that,  and allow for a small amount of flex between the two horizontally.    Would likely need to be engineered to allow for the movement without adding too much thickness so out of my personal skillset but still...  possible.
I'm thinking kinda like those flex grips but laid flat,  or maybe like MIPS in bike helmets.     Flexible enough to take out some of the sudden shocks but not enough to dull turning response.

I tried with some spikes at the front,  was actually really good,  only about 5mm and originally it was just a mistake from a screw put through that was longer than needed.    I didn't bother with the new plates and grip tape.   I had the spike at the front of the plates not the heel.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Have you tried any intermediate solution for the footpeg problem? I cannot ride more than 10 min my V5f because that rubber thing on the side is killing my outer side of my feet.. I am seriously thinking cutting it off because otherwise the footpeg is  quite okay my feet are not that huge. Also by default the pedal is slightly up in V shape so the rubber bump is even more intimidating. I adjusted electronically the tilt of the pedal from the default -5 to positive, it helped me a bit but it's not enough.   
I am think to try first a cushioning from a bathroom rag, anybody tried similar?

(If nothing else I'll go for t0me solution because it's not usable this way however seems like others don't have that kind of serious feet torturing on their V5/V8 only comfort issues.)

1 hour ago, aksika said:

Guys,

Have you tried any intermediate solution for the footpeg problem? I cannot ride more than 10 min my V5f because that rubber thing on the side is killing my outer side of my feet.. I am seriously thinking cutting it off because otherwise the footpeg is  quite okay my feet are not that huge. Also by default the pedal is slightly up in V shape so the rubber bump is even more intimidating. I adjusted electronically the tilt of the pedal from the default -5 to positive, it helped me a bit but it's not enough.   
I am think to try first a cushioning from a bathroom rag, anybody tried similar?

(If nothing else I'll go for t0me solution because it's not usable this way however seems like others don't have that kind of serious feet torturing on their V5/V8 only comfort issues.)

That rubber thing pops out easily. If you buy some new grip tape, remove old grip tape, unscrew plate (5 screws), remove rubber thing, use plate as a template to cut out grip tape, screw plate back on, fix new grip tape... job done. :thumbup:

The pedal will mark the shell without the rubber when closed though.

Edited by RoCan
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

So in the pictures of the original post, the aluminium plate does not have a hole for the connection to the unicycle. Does this mean it is photo from before the hole was made, or does this mean that the aluminium plate was attached as is, i.e., the area near the unicycle body is only the skateboard deck tape? I don't expect the original poster to be still around(of course authoritative reply would be cool), but what do you guys think?

Use the old ones to mark out where the holes need to go.

Make it fit (might need to change screws).

Wack skate tape on afterwards and cut to fit.

OR

Use the old ones to mark out where the holes need to go.

Wack on the skate tape.

Drill through the skate tape and plate and screw through them both.

Doesn't really matter either way.    You can get a neat flush finish if you put the tape on afterwards.  
Probably worth using a little thread lock on the screws if you do that,  and make sure they're nice and tight before you put the tape on.