Lightweight Rapid Charger for 84V, GX12-3 (Inmotion V10F) 5A or more

Gunthor

This seems to be a difficult one (for me at least): On Monday I got my V10F with the standard charger. Now I am looking for a Lightweight Rapid Charger (84V, GX12-3) - size is not an issue (it certainly will fit in my Rucksack) - that I can carry with me while on the road...

As this kind of charger is difficult to find I have the following questions:

1. Do you have any lightweight rapid charger suggestion for me?
  2. Can I use e.g. a Gotway charger if it functions with 84V and offers a GX12-3 connector?
  3. If I would choose a generic charger (e.g. this 84V 6A Charger) and manage to attach the necessary GX12-3 connector is there anything else I need to be aware of to not damage my wheel when using a third party charger not coming from Inmotion?

• Upvote 1

These seem like questions that the Inmotion support could officially answer. "Which quick charger would you recommend for my V10F?".

There doesn't seem to be a charge doctor with 84V, dual input GX12-3 yet, but you could ask that guy if he makes one. Then you could get another standard charger for a cheaper alternative.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

These seem like questions that the Inmotion support could officially answer. "Which quick charger would you recommend for my V10F?".

There doesn't seem to be a charge doctor with 84V, dual input GX12-3 yet, but you could ask that guy if he makes one. Then you could get another standard charger for a cheaper alternative.

My charge doctor for my V8 is a 4 pin device with a short 4 pin to 3 pin adapter cable. This is how it came from eWheels. All you need are the adapters and you should be good to go.

11 hours ago, esaj said:

Why they then use 3-pin connectors, I have no idea. Maybe they were cheaper or more easily available when things started, and became a sort of a "de facto" -standard.

So clueless newbies don't go plugging in all different voltage chargers just because they're the same connector, I think.

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, esaj said:

The GX12-3 is said to be rated for 5A max, although that may or may not be conservative value. Higher amperage will heat the connector more, and there's a risk that it could heat up enough to melt the plastic parts of the connector. Also, the faster you charge your wheel (the higher the amperage), the more it stresses the battery cells and shortens their lifespan. For large batteries, the typical cell maximum "1C" speed is usually closer or above 10A, so that's likely not an issue in this case.

Thank you @esaj - I will stay conservative and go for 5A. I know that eWheels only offer 5A charger for the V10F and I will not go for 10A either because of the tiny GX12-3 connector. I also checked the 3 Pins of the original Inmotion charger with my multimeter to know the needed polarity (1:V+, 2: 0V, 3: unused). Meanwhile I also found other threads in this forum with valuable Information concerning rapid chargers. A big "Thank you" to all who contribute their knowledge, time and information to enrich this EUC-community... :efee47c9c8:

I contacted 1Radwerkstatt and they will do the necessary modifications... ;)

Edited by Gunthor
  • Upvote 2

OK - I got my charger today from 1Radwerkstatt. Unfortunately 5A chargers were not available, but Chris modified a lower charger (3,8A, 84V 80V - cut off at 80V) and I love the small size of it. Unfortunately he equipped it with a GX16-3 connector (I need a GX12-3) so I modified it myself in order to use it until I get the correct connector and it works flawlessly :thumbup:

2mebxv8.jpg

This is because I want to manage four passes in the Alpen as I intend to participate at the Sella Ronda Bike Day the day after tomorrow. And with this charger I am looking forward to it. :)

The cut off at 80V stops charging at 89% 90% battery capacity. Perfectly in line with what Fred recommends. :)

Edited by Gunthor
@Chriull is correct: No cut off! Charger works with 80V.

As mentionned here above, using a charger different from the one delievred by InMotion may void your warranty. I may have missed the point, but what is wrong with the InMotion charger? 

The V10 charging time is high and does not offer the double port as other brand to double the speed, so I believe the charge circuit is only sized to cope with the original charger, bur never saw pictures of the final motherboard and electronics of the V10 (only found pre-production photos on the net), so can only make supposition at this time...

11 hours ago, Gunthor said:

but Chris modified a lower charger (3,8A, 84V - cut off at 80V)

11 hours ago, Gunthor said:

The cut off at 80V stops charging at 89% battery capacity. Perfectly in line with what Fred recommends. :)

I'd assume that the charger does not cut-off at 80V, but is adjusted to deliver at maximum 80V?! Afaik Chris does not have chargers with autoshutoff functionality but adjusts the voltage for 80-90% charge level. That's not too much of a difference but still a bit a different functionality.

Especially as he mentions on his website charging inbetween with the original charger to 100% for balancing is important!

• 1 year later...

there is any adapter that converts from LENOVO connector to GX12-3 ?
I intend to use my Lenovo Smart charger used with my KS18XL to charge my V10F wheel

could you please guide me in right direction...

• 9 months later...

I’m also looking for light weight fast charger for my future V11 and present V8, same plug for all inmotions. If anyone has any suggestions I’d be happy to hear. I’m willing to make an adapter so any 84V chargers will do. At least 3A but I’ll sacrifice speed and features for weight.