Replacing the Tube & Tire on a Gotway Mten3

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, mine keeps it's pressure - rarely do I have to add air. Might be the Slime that I keep in it. Also, double-check the tightness of the valve stem. If not really tight, the tire can slowly leak air.

To be honest, it's hard to get the pressure right, since it holds so little air, my measurement could be off.  I do have "Ride On", goop like sealant I've been using for years.  Thought it was less effective compared to slime but recent research by @mrelwood , it turns out it's superior to slime.  Since it does not dry out and good for the life of the tire, used for both tube and tubeless.  I picked it up at the local Walmart years ago, I have been putting it in anything that holds air (For EUC I use your recommendation for amount).  For those Forum members switching to this type II tires, keep the psi over 40...

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

To be honest, it's hard to get the pressure right, since it holds so little air, my measurement could be off.  I do have "Rol On", goop like sealant I've been using for years.  Thought it was less effective compared to slime but recent research by @mrelwood , it turns out it's superior to slime.  Since it does not dry out and good for the life of the tire, used for both tube and tubeless.  I picked it up at the local Walmart years ago, I have been putting it in anything that holds air (For EUC I use your recommendation for amount).  For those Forum members switching to this type II tires, keep the psi over 40...

Yeah, I may try that other goop, although the Slime that was in my 450-mile tube was anything but dry.

Did you go tubeless? That's my plan when my new tube gives out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I may try that other goop, although the Slime that was in my 450-mile tube was anything but dry.

Did you go tubeless? That's my plan when my new tube gives out.

My Mten3 came to me tubless.  I do prefer it, but compared to tubed, I think I need more psi...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

My Mten3 came to me tubless.  I do prefer it, but compared to tubed, I think I need more psi...

Ah, interesting. @houseofjob and I have tubed tires. I have no experience with tubeless, to know whether they wear any differently. Hopefully the higher pressures will help with your tire life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So much for "low-mileage @houseofjob:lol:  And I'm super impressed that you're cruising so fast on this wheel.

I love to see all of this heavy Mten3 usage - such a great wheel. I need to create another video - have to keep up the Mten3 evangelism :D

Yes, I was surprised too!

But I swap wheels faster than you do I think, like to keep a tight rotation where I can't neglect any of them.... plus, I literally never walk if it's not exercise, like a million small trippers to the store, market, etc, that I just take for granted now! ?

I guess I might film something vlog-y  of that riding, if I can think up a way where it's not boring to me. But, I've also been contemplating a pre-emptive sale of my MTen3 (like I tend to do) just to get ahead of the re-sale market.

.... plus, seeing guys like you rave about the MCM5, and trying it here at our NYC demo has got me wheel-lusting :w00t2:! If only I could shove like a 14" x 2.5" or 14" x 3", I think I would've already bought one!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Ah, then comparing me & @Marty Backe's MTen3 tubed PSI numbers is not comparable I think.

Also, the Mini/Mini Pro guys are tubeless as well, and FWIW, some of them complain about it holding air too.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2018 at 4:52 PM, Mrd777 said:

As we have talked about this before, YES it’s huge effort to replace. The only way I had success was to take the tire out of the housing and use your feet and a clamp on the floor.  I also soaked the tire in hot water to soften it up. I drilled out the wheel core stem hole a bit and put a short stem in,  used orange sealer to go tubeless. I was able to get a seal with a hand pump. My tire rarely needs air.

I enjoyed the video @Marty Backe !

@Mrd777 could you please expand on this sealer you've mentioned?  I value your posts.  Thank you sir.

• 2 years later...

It's amazing that I've had this little rocket 3 years almost to the day.  I went tubeless about a month or so after Ive had it, and to this day the seal is holding up perfectly.

Of all my wheels this little Mten3 hardly loses any air.  I used Orange Seal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CS739KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What we really need is a MTEN 4 !!

Lets go Gotway, its been THREE YEARS

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

How's your tubeless mten3 holding up @Marty Backe?

My 3 year old tubeless Mten3 doesn't hold air anymore which I'm assuming is because the sealant that Gotway used has dried out.

Going to put on a new tire anyways (the same one you used) after I clean all this dried sealant off the rim.

XvUCCid.jpg

🤢 looks like the sandwich I left in the office before lockdown

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Vu said:

How's your tubeless mten3 holding up @Marty Backe?

My 3 year old tubeless Mten3 doesn't hold air anymore which I'm assuming is because the sealant that Gotway used has dried out.

Going to put on a new tire anyways (the same one you used) after I clean all this dried sealant off the rim.

XvUCCid.jpg

Both my tubeless Mten's are doing great. Of course my original one (the first batch like many of us) had a tube and I only converted it tubeless sometime in the last 2-years. I used Slime and so far so good.

Yours looks impressively bad :D

Are you coming to Westwheel 3?

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, Marty Backe said:

Both my tubeless Mten's are doing great. Of course my original one (the first batch like many of us) had a tube and I only converted it tubeless sometime in the last 2-years. I used Slime and so far so good.

Yours looks impressively bad :D

Are you coming to Westwheel 3?

No I can't come this year mainly because my work will require me to quarantine for 14 days if I went to Vegas. Hope to make it out next year though or even back out to California sooner than that especially once this pandemic situation goes away.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

No I can't come this year mainly because my work will require me to quarantine for 14 days if I went to Vegas. Hope to make it out next year though or even back out to California sooner than that especially once this pandemic situation goes away.

Westwheel isn't worth a 14-day quarantine? Where are your priorities man?

;)