Replacing the Tube & Tire on a Gotway Mten3

As we have talked about this before, YES it’s huge effort to replace. The only way I had success was to take the tire out of the housing and use your feet and a clamp on the floor.  I also soaked the tire in hot water to soften it up. I drilled out the wheel core stem hole a bit and put a short stem in,  used orange sealer to go tubeless. I was able to get a seal with a hand pump. My tire rarely needs air.

I enjoyed the video @Marty Backe !

• Like 3

@Marty Backe I replaced the tube (left the same stock tire), and it took quite some time and effort. There were 2 things which helped: I warmed up the tire with the wife's fan (couldn't find my heat gun), and I used soapy water to help squeezing the tire on the rim.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, trya said:

I used soapy water to help squeezing the tire on the rim.

THAT'S what was in the back of my mind while watching Marty's video!  Tire lube!  We had a tub of that at the tire machine.  But with that small of a tire, whew!  Looks like a lot of effort.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1

The trick to installing a new tire is use a lot of lube (glass cleaner like windex all around the bead inside and out) and when you are leveraging the last part of the bead make sure opposite side of tire bead is off the rim down around the center of the rim (stand on opposite side of the tire). I used bigger motorcycle spoons (biggest ones from Harbor Freight ~$5 each). Another observation, talc or baby powder is used between tube and the tire so tube won't pinch.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, trya said:

@Marty Backe I replaced the tube (left the same stock tire), and it took quite some time and effort. There were 2 things which helped: I warmed up the tire with the wife's fan (couldn't find my heat gun), and I used soapy water to help squeezing the tire on the rim.

7 minutes ago, steve454 said:

THAT'S what was in the back of my mind while watching Marty's video.  Tire lube!  We had a tub of that at the tire machine.  But with that small of a tire, whew!  Looks like a lot of effort.

5 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:
The trick to installing a new tire is use a lot of lube (glass cleaner like windex all around the bead inside and out) and when you are leveraging the last part of the bead make sure opposite side of tire bead is off the rim down around the center of the rim (stand on opposite side of the tire). I used bigger motorcycle spoons (biggest ones from Harbor Freight ~$5 each). Another observation, talc or baby powder is used between tube and the tire so tube won't pinch.

Never having gone tubeless, I wonder if that's a concern - having lube and such inside the rim? Not with the tube that I'm using now, but when I eventually go tubeless.

So frankly guys, ~$20 for the next time will be well worth it to avoid any of this hassle :thumbup:

But my hats off to you guys who want to tackle this job :cheers: 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

As we have talked about this before, YES it’s huge effort to replace. The only way I had success was to take the tire out of the housing and use your feet and a clamp on the floor.  I also soaked the tire in hot water to soften it up. I drilled out the wheel core stem hole a bit and put a short stem in,  used orange sealer to go tubeless. I was able to get a seal with a hand pump. My tire rarely needs air.

I enjoyed the video @Marty Backe !

I'm picturing you on the ground using your feet to help with this job :D  Thanks for making me laugh :thumbup:

Thanks for the comment @Mrd777

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Never having gone tubeless, I wonder if that's a concern - having lube and such inside the rim? Not with the tube that I'm using now, but when I eventually go tubeless.

So frankly guys, ~$20 for the next time will be well worth it to avoid any of this hassle :thumbup:

But my hats off to you guys who want to tackle this job :cheers: 

I had same problem you've had on my motorcycle tires, until I saw the trick they used on the youtube lol.  Glass cleaner evaporates very quickly.  :cheers:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

I had same problem you've had on my motorcycle tires, until I saw the trick they used on the youtube lol.  Glass cleaner evaporates very quickly.  :cheers:

Maybe next time, but I'll probably still wimp out and go to the bike shop. I have no problems with my other wheels, just this 10-inch sucker <_<

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe next time, but I'll probably still wimp out and go to the bike shop. I have no problems with my other wheels, just this 10-inch sucker <_<

Watch some tire changes for motorcycle on you tube and it's very slick. ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks @Marty Backe. My tire replacement is growing near. I thought you were going to paint Mten3  black at some point? 

Please make a video when you change your tire. I want to grab some popcorn and enjoy a couple of hours in front of the computer :popcorn:

Maybe next time I take the wheel apart I'll repaint it. Probably not black though - something vibrant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Please make a video when you change your tire. I want to grab some popcorn and enjoy a couple of hours in front of the computer :popcorn:

Your interested in hearing me cuss for hours on end? Actually I’m researching Ron Popiel’s inventions and the Vegomatic might come in handy. ?

41674787754_e2095bbe02_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@houseofjob with this type II tire, how many miles are you getting?  I'm around 270 miles and ordered another one.  There is no way I'm going to get 450 miles like @Marty Backe did with his oem tire. 

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

@houseofjob with this type II tire, how many miles are you getting?  I'm around 270 miles and ordered another one.  There is no way I'm going to get 450 miles like @Marty Backe did with his oem tire. 

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that @houseofjob rides a lot but not necessarily a lot of miles.

I wonder if the tire pressure that you ride with has an affect on tire wear. I ride the Mten3 at ~35-psi, so it's very stiff. How about you?

• Upvote 1

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that @houseofjob rides a lot but not necessarily a lot of miles.

I wonder if the tire pressure that you ride with has an affect on tire wear. I ride the Mten3 at ~35-psi, so it's very stiff. How about you?

I had mine at 34 psi.  Last I checked it dropped to 25 ish.  So pumped it back up to around 40 ish.  The thread is almost down to nothing.  I'm wondering if the tire compound is very soft, even softer than the oem.

@Mark Lee my MTen3 is my trip-to-Jersey and local market shopper, so as @Marty Backe alludes to, I ride it a bunch, just probably not high in overall mileage mileage (my KS18S is still my daily driver)

if you look up the Mini / Mini Pro guys (since these MTen3 tires ARE recycled mini tires), you’ll see they complain about the quality of these tires, they’re not the greatest *smh.

But unfortunately, these 2 are the only option, and we can’t use the more awesome and thicker off-roading Mini / Mini Pro tires due to the shell clearance ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Mark Lee my MTen3 is my trip-to-Jersey and local market shopper, so as @Marty Backe alludes to, I ride it a bunch, just probably not high in overall mileage mileage (my KS18S is still my daily driver)

if you look up the Mini / Mini Pro guys (since these MTen3 tires ARE recycled mini tires), you’ll see they complain about the quality of these tires, they’re not the greatest *smh.

But unfortunately, these 2 are the only option, and we can’t use the more awesome and thicker off-roading Mini / Mini Pro tires due to the shell clearance ?

I guess it's for off road with softer compound.  I really like this tire but next time after this replacement, hopefully some tire maker come out with other options.  If not may have to go back to oem.  Looks like my KS14S will play bigger role after all...

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

I guess it's for off road with softer compound.  I really like this tire but next time after this replacement, hopefully some tire maker come out with other options.  If not may have to go back to oem.

How do you ride yours? Mine stays on nice pavement all of the time. Of course I don't have many miles on this new tire. Guess I'll be keeping an eye on it for excessive wear.

BTW, seems like many Mten3 owners don't put a lot of miles on theirs. Looks like you ride yours a lot, like me :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How do you ride yours? Mine stays on nice pavement all of the time. Of course I don't have many miles on this new tire. Guess I'll be keeping an eye on it for excessive wear.

BTW, seems like many Mten3 owners don't put a lot of miles on theirs. Looks like you ride yours a lot, like me :thumbup:

I do ride it, I'm around 460 miles as of now, I carve with it a lot. The wear is even around the tire.  I like the portability of Mten3 and Jason was right to call it a rocket.  It won't stay down for long, I'll just change the tires until some one comes up with harder compound.  Only time I don't take it to work is if I forget to charge it and I will just take my KS14S which I also love...

• Like 1

LOL, you guys got me curious! (I rarely launch any wheel apps)

My MTen3 has 734 miles on it, tire is still the Type II, with no real evidence of much balding. I keep PSI 40, and ride probably 21-22 mph max, carefully around bad NYC streets and such.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

My MTen3 has 734 miles on it, tire is still the Type II, with no real evidence of much balding. I keep PSI 40, and ride probably 21-22 mph max, carefully around bad NYC streets and such.

Thanks a lots... @Marty Backe the key must be the tire pressure... I'm booting mine up. :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

I do ride it, I'm around 460 miles as of now, I carve with it a lot. The wear is even around the tire.  I like the portability of Mten3 and Jason was right to call it a rocket.  It won't stay down for long, I'll just change the tires until some one comes up with harder compound.  Only time I don't take it to work is if I forget to charge it and I will just take my KS14S which I also love...

We have about the same mileage. Sad, but I haven't ridden mine much in the last couple of weeks, since I got my MCM5. It's just "new wheel syndrome". Once I get that out of my system I'll be riding the Mten3 much more again.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Wow. Over 700-miles! I think we got them at the same time. I'm a slacker :unsure:

So much for "low-mileage @houseofjob:lol:  And I'm super impressed that you're cruising so fast on this wheel.

I love to see all of this heavy Mten3 usage - such a great wheel. I need to create another video - have to keep up the Mten3 evangelism :D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

I had mine at 34 psi.  Last I checked it dropped to 25 ish.  So pumped it back up to around 40 ish.  The thread is almost down to nothing.  I'm wondering if the tire compound is very soft, even softer than the oem.

BTW, mine keeps it's pressure - rarely do I have to add air. Might be the Slime that I keep in it. Also, double-check the tightness of the valve stem. If not really tight, the tire can slowly leak air.

• Like 1