JES

WARNING: Reverse speed of 15.9mph on mini

21 posts in this topic

Bought Segway mini day after xmas and notice reverse/backwards speed was only about 1-2 mph. Updated firmware a few days later and noticed speed was faster going backwards but didn't pay attention to mph or try to go fast. Then today started to see how fast it does go backwards and chickened out at 6 mph. (WARNING: steering will be reversed while stand on mini in opposite direction and operating!) So I decided to stand on the mini backwards and try top speed, I went 15.9 mph and thought I was going to wipe out! If the Segway mini would just do 13-14 mph in forward I would be content.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I was aware all hoverboard, eucs etc. can go the same speed in either direction.

If they were limited in any way going backwards it could have a disastrous effect on their ability to self balance!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JES said:

Bought Segway mini day after xmas and notice reverse/backwards speed was only about 1-2 mph. Updated firmware a few days later and noticed speed was faster going backwards but didn't pay attention to mph or try to go fast. Then today started to see how fast it does go backwards and chickened out at 6 mph. (WARNING: steering will be reversed while stand on mini in opposite direction and operating!) So I decided to stand on the mini backwards and try top speed, I went 15.9 mph and thought I was going to wipe out! If the Segway mini would just do 13-14 mph in forward I would be content.

 

So what's your max forward speed the? Cos if it's a lot less, maybe backwards is the new forwards.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Forward speed is still 10.9 mph at lean back. I would say it's a software/program fluke and it is not safe! But as a hobbyist who tinkers it was exhilarating! I made an electric bike a few years ago that would go 42 mph without peddling. The Segway mini at almost 16 mph with no lean back was too fast. I have pondered with rewiring the steering stick and ride it backwards but it is unsafe. 

Edited by JES
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2017 at 9:56 AM, Gimlet said:

As far as I was aware all hoverboard, eucs etc. can go the same speed in either direction.

If they were limited in any way going backwards it could have a disastrous effect on their ability to self balance!

It's not quite clear why this should be the case. I have a hard time to see how if the wheel goes, say, only at 5km/h forward, the balancing could lead to zero or negative speed even for the shortest period of time. It seems that already the mass of the wheel is entirely prohibitive for this to happen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how fast the Mini Pro would go if the limiter was not in place? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There always has to be a speed limiter on self balancing devices like this.  They cannot function without one.  It's not like an e-bike or other non-self-balancing device that can just be pushed until the motor reaches the maximum speed that the system can produce and will continue on at that speed.  With self balancing vehicles like this, when the rider gets to the edge of what the motor and power system can handle while still keeping the rider upright in all sorts of terrain conditions, it has to either tilt back and slow down or allow the rider to fall forward and crash.  There's no other option. 

A lot of people complain about the MiniPro's speed limit and think it's just that Ninebot/Segway don't want us going fast in case we do something stupid and hurt ourselves and then sue them.  But there's more too it than that. 

The MiniPro limits the speed to about 17-18kph and keeps plenty of power in reserve to be able to keep up a rider of the maximum weight limit without falling forward.  If it allowed the rider to ride at closer to the motor and power system's maximum output, there would not be enough power left over to keep the rider upright should they hit a bump, hit a sudden decline, brake hard, lean too far forward, lean too suddenly etc.  There has to be a speed limit somewhere for these machines to work, and that limit has to be well under the maximum output.

Having said all that...I wish my MiniPro was just a little bit faster!  I'm a light weight rider and I know it could handle me just fine at 20kph.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that is great information. Thank-you. Happy Easter. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget braking distance - the device in essence has no brakes.  You've nothing to hold onto when slowing down rapidly - leaning back (yourself) is the only way to counter the momentum which would otherwise shoot you off forwards.  And as you slow down, you need to lean less back.  All in all, they have to set a speed where you have a reasonable chance of avoiding an accident - possibly hitting someone or something - while enabling you to stay on board (a combination of what you do and what the device does).  Never mind the legalities, I'd say they have a moral obligation to make it reasonably safe, while making it reasonably fun and useful - for riders of all abilities, all ages, all physical dimensions, and all characters.  A very hard thing to judge.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested the reverse speed on FW1.4 and crikey, you're right JES! I removed the knee bar (so the reversed steering didn't kill me) and hopped on backwards. I got to just over 20kph and chickened out of going faster as it's pretty scary with no steering at that speed. Has anyone tried this on 1.4 and do you know when tiltback kicks in? If the steering can be reversed electronically, as someone already said "maybe backwards is the new forwards". 😎 

Edited by RooMiniPro
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

If the steering can be reversed electronically, as someone already said "maybe backwards is the new forwards".

I guess you could just get used to reverse steering, kinda like inverted steering in a flying game. I would be will to try to used to it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pezman said:

I guess you could just get used to reverse steering, kinda like inverted steering in a flying game. I would be will to try to used to it. 

Unfortunately that won't work.  Instead of leaning into corners we'd be leaning the opposite direction.  Yikes!  Imagine riding a bike and leaning left into a corner but turning the handle bars right.  Instant disaster. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Unfortunately that won't work.  Instead of leaning into corners we'd be leaning the opposite direction.  Yikes!  Imagine riding a bike and leaning left into a corner but turning the handle bars right.  Instant disaster. 

I guess so. When I imagine it in my head it seems doable. Knees go left body shifts right and I turn right. But in my head and in practice may be a very different thing lol. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pezman said:

I guess so. When I imagine it in my head it seems doable. Knees go left body shifts right and I turn right. But in my head and in practice may be a very different thing lol. 

If you decide to try it at high speed please make sure to have someone catch it on video and practice how to tuck and tumble in advance :D 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if you reverse pads 🔛➡⬅ arrow direction this will help 😄 (no,no please no thanks me for this good idea )

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kasenutty

Really ?  Are you sincère ? 

Well come in Bordeaux France enjoy good wine and best beach in the world from biarritz to lacanau and join me for a funny ride in my city 

Today with remote monitoring my mini people laughing when I shouted " come on SLAVE and stop beeping about my weight !  😈" 

People said its funny its smart  and me I answer "No it isnt funny take more than 15kg since I bought it I don't walk for going to shopping "

Sometime people running or doing gym sport and I shout " Wàaaaaaa Im so buzzy riding look at me Im à big sportive geek!😃😃😃😃

http://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/?_ga=1.135941297.1865039163.1492644932

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, completely sincere. I love your posts, and your blog. All very informative and funny too. You've got a great sense of humor :D

 

If I am ever in Bordeaux, I will most certainly message you for a ride :)

Edited by kasenutty
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@kasenutty  maybe you don't read these posts....(from me by me ) .......

Two books to read for understand Ninebot 's engineers work.....

about inapropriate shoes.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the steering can be reversed without modifying the firmware.  Has anyone had a good look at the steering mechanism inside to see exactly how it works?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now