Anyone bought 1radwerkstatt battery upgrade kit?

Scully

Hi all.... 
I'm tempted by the 1radwerkstatt battery upgrade kit - does anyone have any real world experience of it on a Ninebot? 

I'm currently getting about 10 miles from the E+, what will it realistically go up to?

He's looking for $409 - I think thats for the additional battery, with 2 wider covers (to house the battery)... does my old battery still get used in there? 
Any help / advice appreciated. 

http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F80603321%2FProducts%2FNinebotSET

10 miles?  :blink:  With my OEM battery I just did 18 kms a couple of days ago, and the app said I had 10 more left over.  I haven't run mine down totally red flashing dead yet, but when I have it fully charged it shows about 28 km range which I think converts to just over 17 miles?  I do hear that the lower tank depletes faster than the top half so I wouldn't push it too too much and expect the full app range.

Looking at the 1Rad battery, I do believe that you tie your battery in with the 388 wh battery along with some extra BMS board I'm guessing.   It looks like the 1Rad kit photos are a little deceiving as it shows two casings and two batteries, but I think it's just one that you add in with your OEM one?  If you buy an extra 1Rad battery you get 2 * 388 for  776 wh, but then you don't use the OEM one?

I would guess that you could get 60 km or 37 miles out of the two 1Rad battery packs, but that's just an estimate.  Optionally you could do a SuperSport battery door mod and swap out packs as you go.

When mine is fully charged the app always shows 17 miles range, but that is based on 60 kilogram rider in ideal conditions.  So 10 miles is probably pretty good for real world conditions, that's an hour ride at cruise 2 1/2 mph below tiltback.  Like @HunkaHunkaBurningLove suggested, it might be a little cheaper to swap another stock battery like with the SuperSport mod.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Hi all.... 
I'm tempted by the 1radwerkstatt battery upgrade kit - does anyone have any real world experience of it on a Ninebot? 

I'm currently getting about 10 miles from the E+, what will it realistically go up to?

He's looking for $409 - I think thats for the additional battery, with 2 wider covers (to house the battery)... does my old battery still get used in there? 
Any help / advice appreciated. 

http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F80603321%2FProducts%2FNinebotSET

you do not know how it works?

you have your batterie on one side and on the other side you have the board...

each side gets a 16s1p pack of 194wh...so two times 194=388wh...plus your old(340wh?)= 728wh!

you get delivered the 2 batterie packs and 2 new black sidecases...which are a bit wider...so that you have the place to stock up each side!

the batteries from 1 radwerkstatt are top notch! he has a high reputation...and normally for a batterie pack of about 380wh you pay about 300bucks...

so the price is good, because in each of the 194wh packs is also a BMS and just for this usecase produced wider sidecases!

i have stocked up my ks14 from 340wh to 680wh by 1radwerkstatt...its all perfect...i can only recommend him!

for your "just 10 miles"...perhaps your batterie is abit old and can not hold power so good anymore?

In General:

I think this is an option where A LOT of ninebot riders have waited for.....stock up their batteries to over 700wh?!

And to get a new/plus batterie from 1radwerkstatt is always->no fault :-)

the package will be also distributed by the other german resellers...scooterhelden.de and electro-sport.de...as far as i know

So it will basically double my range? 

I already have a 2nd NBC+, which I have u for sale at £400
The battery pack will cost me about the same.... 

So... I might as well keep the NBC+ and switch the batterys out.... It's a shame, I was hoping the battery upgrade kit would get me 40-50 miles.

Or... I could sell the C+, then buy the NBP battery from Speedyfeet, thats £260 for 340wh - that would give me a total of 660wh...

45 minutes ago, Scully said:

Or... I could sell the C+, then buy the NBP battery from Speedyfeet, thats £260 for 340wh - that would give me a total of 660wh...

no, that wont work!

this is just one pack which is way to thick, to find a place for it in the 9b...

thats the trick from 1rad: 

2 seperate packs with seperate batteriemanagement, so that you just have to ad a little bit on each side!

thats the reason why its not cheap at all...

i would expect you would get 20 miles extra from this extension pack...

34 minutes ago, Scully said:

It will work - just not all in one go, I'll need to swap them out. 

Still keen to hear real life range from the wagstaff pack, if anyone has it???

swap them out?

you mean extract the 30 cells and do 2 x 15 of it?

also buy another BMS Then and soldier the 2 x 15 to 2 BMS plus cables and all?

if that would work...we still would have seen a lot 700wh 9b...

i think you underestimate a little bit the work that's in this pack!

aah...by the way, also you have to selfmold new plastic sideparts ;-)

Just a word of agreement about the stock E+...

I weigh 100kg and get almost exactly 10 miles of range if riding just below tiltback. I have measured this several times. If riding slower, range is extended... But who wants to ride slower? ;-)

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Lol. No, nothing that complicated. 

Just if I have the 2nd battery in my bag, stop and switch it over with the flat one. 

yeah ...Sure!

but thats a complete other option...and arent 260 pounds about more than 300 Euro also?

when you have 2 seperate ...lets say 360wh batteries...you can drive each of it down to..lets say 90wh...and not further, because the wheel will not let you....

if you have 2 x 360 in one config...you can drive this complete pack of 720wh down to 90wh....

so in fact...you have more usage of a "complete" configuration!!!

these numbers i choosed are just a example...but a big pack pack is always better than a config with one spare....

but hey: All your choice :-)

Please can you help to explain the following products for me, I have been looking on the website - but can't understand what I'm supposed to buy, I don't speak German. 

Ninebot Expansion 409 Euros - I think that's 2 x 194wh and 2 cases
(giving 388wh), so that works with my current C+ battery, giving 708wh total
http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/NinebotSET

I don't understand in the description, where it says
'Will not the original battery but a 1RadWerkstatt 388Wh original replacement battery is used, the capacity increases to a maximum of 776Wh (388Wh 388Wh +), enabling a range of about 70km (customer may have the 388Wh battery already this so continue to use 100%)'

Are they trying to say I can buy another additional double 194 pack, to use with this pack?
If so, is that what they are selling here? (319euros)
http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/"15S Ninebot"

So I can pay the following options...
1st pack (to be used with the ninebot battery)  708wh  409 Euros 

1st and 2nd pack (not with the ninebot battery) 776wh @ 409+319 = 728 Euros

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi @Scully!

What I figure from the German description: The set includes one 388 Wh battery, their enlarged covers and the required cabeling to use 2 batteries in your NB1. Usually, that means you keep using your original NB1 battery and the additional 1RadWerkstatt battery adds 388 Wh to that. As NB1 C+ and E+ come standard with 320 Wh, that totals to 708 Wh.

The second calculation primarily addresses their customers, who already purchased one of their 388Wh packs (like a pal of mine in Berlin, who uses the 2nd battery as a spare on longer tours and exchanges them during a stop at half distance). In that case, you can buy the expansion kit and use both your higher capacity 1RadWerkstatt batteries.

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

Please can you help to explain the following products for me, I have been looking on the website - but can't understand what I'm supposed to buy, I don't speak German. 

Exactly, but it is written that it works for a ninebot one e+. Dont know if the c+ is identical to the e+? 

http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/NinebotSET

I don't understand in the description, where it says
'Will not the original battery but a 1RadWerkstatt 388Wh original replacement battery is used, the capacity increases to a maximum of 776Wh (388Wh 388Wh +), enabling a range of about 70km (customer may have the 388Wh battery already this so continue to use 100%)'

@1RadWerkstattsays that the "Ninebot +388Wh battery expansion" With the original ninebot one e+ battery pack results in a total capacity of 320+388 Wh.

if you already replaced the original battery from the ninebot e+ with the battery from 1radwerkstatt (from your second link which is one 15s2p pack with 388Wh) you get a total capacity of 388+388=776Wh.

So the quoted sentence from their website should mean:

"will not the original battery but a 1radwerkstatt 388 Wh original replacement battery be used..." - but thats still not a nice english, is it?

Are they trying to say I can buy another additional double 194 pack, to use with this pack?

If so, is that what they are selling here? (319euros)
http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/"15S Ninebot"

Almost - this is one 15s2p 388Wh battery pack replacing your original ninebot one battery.

So I can pay the following options...
1st pack (to be used with the ninebot battery)  708wh  409 Euros 

1st and 2nd pack (not with the ninebot battery) 776wh @ 409+319 = 728 Euros

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes. With your first choice you keep your original battery, with the second choice your original battery is not used anymore.

Thanks all for your input. 

I understand that the ninebot is shipped with quite a good battery anyway, so it doesn't make (financial) sense for a ninebot customer to 'upgrade' the origional battery - afterall, it would be 319 euros for only little gain. 
I see that there is a market for this upgrade - but not for ninebot customers. 

So the 1st option is the only one I need to worry about. 

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

409 Euros is equal to £347... and for that, I'm upgrading my current 320wh (10mile) battery to a tripple battery of 708wh, so in theory, I should get 22-24miles. 
The main benefit is that It comes all in one unit - so charging is easier, and no messing about swapping the battery over. 

My other option. (Which may / may not work)
Is I buy the larger battery covers from Wagstaff for 50Euros (£42) -  then buy a battery from Speedyfeet...
I could then take the new battery (340wh) and put that in the left side (with the board) and the old C+ (220wh) & E+(320wh)  batterys on the right hand side, This would give me 880. 

But - who knows if they'd physically fit? 

If I could get 1Rad to ship the batteries to the US, I would prefer to have the upgrade they offer over my swapping method I currently use. My method only takes about 30 seconds to do, but I have to carry the second battery in my pack. Not a big deal, but on 30 mile rides, it starts getting heavy.  I'd much prefer for my wheel to carry the extra weight over me carrying it  

1Rad batteries have a great reputation, and better BMS than stock, so I would eventually replace my original battery too. The extra range from the 1Rad's would be helpful for me as our group likes to ride far. 

If anyone knows a way to get these batteries to the US, please let me know. A few of us here are hoping to get this upgrade, and would buy immediately if it was available. 

25 minutes ago, Scully said:

My other option. (Which may / may not work)
Is I buy the larger battery covers from Wagstaff for 50Euros (£42) -  then buy a battery from Speedyfeet...
I could then take the new battery (340wh) and put that in the left side (with the board) and the old C+ (220wh) & E+(320wh)  batterys on the right hand side, This would give me 880. 

But - who knows if they'd physically fit? 

Presumably this should not work out - the packs are too big. Thats the reason why @1RadWerkstattdivided the 388Wh pack in two 194Wh packs...

Anyone able to translate the instructions for me? 
I've done  a google translate - I would appreciate someone checking it over....

In Blue - the instructions.
In Black - the google translate version
In Green - What I think it means.

Akkumontage +388Wh SET Ninebot One 
Battery Installation + 388Wh SET Ninebot One
ACHTUNG Anleitung aufmerksam lesen! 
ATTENTION Read the instructions carefully
Sonst durchbrennen der Sicherung und Beschädigung der Steckkontakte möglich!  
Otherwise blowing the fuse and damaging the plug contacts possible!

1. Ninebot vollständig Aufladen bis Ladegerät GRÜN <<--WICHTIG!!
1. Ninebot fully charge up charger GREEN << - IMPORTANT !! 3. With Phillips the two screws from the side cover - (Do not drop screws into the housing) both sides
The NB needs to be 100% charged before proceeding. 

2. LED-Ringe ausclipsen – dazu einfach mit den Fingern den Ring von außen greifen und leicht ziehen. Von oben anfangen und ggf. mit kleinem
Schraubenzieher in den vorgesehen Stellen nachhelfen

2. LED rings Unclip - Simply use your fingers grip the ring from the outside and easy to pull. Start from the top and remove them with a small screwdriver into the provided help out bodies

3. Mit Kreuzschlitz die zwei Schrauben vom Seitencover entfernen – beide Seiten (Schrauben nicht in das Gehäuse fallen lassen)  
3. With Phillips the two screws from the side cover - (Do not drop screws into the housing) both sides

4. Seitencover abnehmen
Page Cover
Remove battery cover

5. Am original Akku beide Stecker trennen
5. Remove the original battery on both connectors disconnect.

6. Akku entnehmen
6 remove the battery

7. Original Akkupack in das neue Seitencover in gleicher Ausrichtung wie original/vorher legen
7. original battery pack in the new side cover in the same orientation as original / previously put
Switch out the side covers, place the original battery back in the new cover. 

8. Gelben XT60 Stecker vom original Akku mit XT60 Buchse (es gibt nur eine) vom neuen Akkuset verbinden (vor dem zusammenstecken immer auf gleiche Polung achten, rot an rot und schwarz an schwarz / nicht verdreht Stecken / bei allen Steckverbindungen)
8. Yellow XT60 plug from the original battery with XT60 connector (there is only one) of the new battery pack connect (before getting plugged together in the same polarity eighth, red to red and black to black / not twisted plug / with all connectors)
Connect the old batteries to the new battery pack (use existing connection)

9. Leitung/ Stromversorgung zum Mainboard am Ninebot zurück auf die Motherboardseite verlegen (zurück ziehen)
9. line / power supply to the motherboard on Ninebot back on the motherboard side embarrassed (pull back)

10. Verbindungsleitung (markierte Stecker (Schwarzer Edding an Minus)) der zwei neuen Akkupacks trennen und zur anderen Seite durchfädeln
10. connecting line (marked connector (black Edding to negative)) of two new battery packs separate and to the other side threading through
Disconnect the 2nd new battery and thread the cable through to the motherboard side, re connect the battery back together (now threaded)

11. Gelb/Schwarze Ladeleitung (kleiner Stecker) am Ninebot wieder mit original Akku verbinden und das erste Seitencover mit original Akku und einem Set Akku montieren
11. Yellow / Black charging cable (small connector) on Ninebot again with original battery connect and the first side cover with original battery and a set battery mount
Re attach the small battery charge cables to the original battery

12. Auf der Motherboardseite nun die Verbindungsleitung (markierte Stecker) mit anderem Set Akku wieder verbinden (dieser Akku ist im Seitencover fest montiert)
12. on the motherboard side now the connecting line (marked plug) with another set battery reconnect (this battery is in the side cover firmly mounted)

13. Motherboard-Leitung mit dem letzten übrig gebliebenem Akkuausgang verbinden
13 motherboard line with the last leftover battery output connect

14. Zweites Seitencover montieren 15. LED Ringe montieren 
14. Second side cover 15. mount LED mount rings
Put all back together  

Bei der Montage keine Kabel quetschen auf einwandfreie Verlegung achten. Akkus sollten nicht lose in den Covern klappern (durchscheuern)  

When installing any cables squeeze for proper installation eighth. Batteries should not loose in the covers rattle (fray)
Ensure cables are properly squeezed together, ensure batteries sit comfortable in their shells.

ACHTUNG 
DANGER Warning
Das Akkuset kommt 100% geladen und getestet! 
The battery pack is 100% charged and tested!

Wird das Set mit einem nicht auch zu 100% vollgeladenem Akku verbunden kommt es zu extrem Ausgleichsströmen. Die Steckkontakte werden beschädigt und die Sicherung am Ladeeingang des Akkuset´s löst aus. 
Vor auswechseln der Sicherung ist der Fehler zu beseitigen! 
Bitte vorher am besten Kontakt aufnehmen!  

If the set is connected to a not 100% fully charged battery it comes to extreme currents. The plug contacts are damaged and the fuse on the load input of Akkuset's triggers. Before replacing the fuse the fault must be eliminated!

Thanks in advance!

The most important thing: as you put the batteries in parallel, they have to be at same charging level. The upgrade battery comes with a level of 100%. The remaining battery in the NB should be at 100% as well befor you connct them, otherwise the difference in level will result in high currents and a melting fuse!

@Scully

Here is a (german) Video tutorial of how to install this pack....it is german, but you can see what has to be done! Good choice!

You have translated the instructions correctly...

Main point is that all batteries have to be at 100% before connecting

Archived