Recovering from an appendectomy

Scott Henley

So as you all know , I had my appendix out Wednesday morning . After getting off work Tuesday afternoon I started to feel really bad . Also a known fact , I had a cutout a few days before that ended with me having a massively swollen lip , slight fracture in my hand and some bruised ribs . So anyway , the last week has really sucked . Anyway once they ordered a CT scan it became clear my appendix was going to rupture if it wasn’t removed promptly . So in to surgery I went . 4 days later I’m home but still feel pretty crappy . The incision sites are really sore and moving around is a bit difficult. 

Anyone here ever have an appendectomy? And if so what was the recovery time like ? I’m pretty eager to get back on the wheel . (The new 14s that arrived on Friday from @Jason McNeil. And the msuper v3s+ T that is hopefully coming at some point from Chen ) 

My dad had his appendix burst inside him requiring a large incision and lots of swabbing out inside with antibiotics. He had to take 6 weeks out. I think largely due to the incision in the stomach wall. This was about 25 years ago though so things have probably changed. 

6 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Anyone here ever have an appendectomy? And if so what was the recovery time like ? I’m pretty eager to get back on the wheel .

Your surgeon is the best one to answer that question.  You are young and should bounce back quickly. Hope you feel better!

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Scott Henley you might want to take a minute and read Hunka’s link. Below is a short excerpt on some of the author’s suggestions:

How can you care for yourself at home?

return-to-activity_icn.svgActivity

• Rest when you feel tired. Getting enough sleep will help you recover.
  • Try to walk each day. Start by walking a little more than you did the day before.
  • For about 2 weeks, avoid lifting anything that would make you strain. 
  • Avoid strenuous activities, such as riding electric unicycles, bicycles, jogging, weight lifting, or aerobic exercise, until your doctor says it is okay.
  • Your doctor will tell you when you can have sex again.

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your surgeon is the best one to answer that question.  You are young and should bounce back quickly.

I didn’t like his advice. :crying: 2 weeks just sounds soooo long . Figured I’d see if anyone out there had any first hand experience. And yes I know everyone is different all that jazz ...and that my surgeon was probably spot on. But one can dream can’t they ? ?

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Scott Henley you might want to take a minute and read Hunka’s link. Below is a short excerpt on some of the author’s suggestions:

return-to-activity_icn.svg

• Avoid strenuous activities, such as riding electric unicycles 

Must have missed this the first time I read through it .

:roflmao:

16 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Must have missed this the first time I read through it .

:roflmao:

Just wanted to lighten you load.:)

I had the simple operation and it almost killed me.  I had complications, internal bleeding.  My recovery was over a month for my body to absorb the hematoma.  The pain before surgery was nothing compared to after.  Hope you recover quicker than me.  GL

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I had the simple operation and it almost killed me.  I had complications, internal bleeding.  My recovery was over a month for my body to absorb the hematoma.  The pain before surgery was nothing compared to after.  Hope you recover quicker than me.  GL

Oh wow . Sorry to hear that . No I don’t see any complications arising (yet ). Did they determine there was an issue while you were in the hospital or did they only come to light once you got home?

12 hours ago, dmethvin said:

I still have my appendix so I can't say how long it takes to recover. I hope you can mount again soon though!

@Scott Henley still has his appendix too... Just in a jar now!    :huh:

11 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Oh wow . Sorry to hear that . No I don’t see any complications arising (yet ). Did they determine there was an issue while you were in the hospital or did they only come to light once you got home?

got home, hurt like shit, went to ER, scan found hematoma.  nothing to do there unless i was bleeding like crazy.  

21 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

return-to-activity_icn.svgActivity

• Rest when you feel tired. Getting enough sleep will help you recover.
  • Try to walk each day. Start by walking a little more than you did the day before.
  • For about 2 weeks, avoid lifting anything that would make you strain. 
  • Avoid strenuous activities, such as riding electric unicycles, bicycles, jogging, weight lifting, or aerobic exercise, until your doctor says it is okay.
  • Your doctor will tell you when you can have sex again.

OK, OK, he might not be able to have sex for months, but not being able to ride an EUC for two weeks ????

Archived