help please my ks-18s only charging to 90%

novazeus

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Because this is an English language Forum hosted outside of China. KingSong, Gotway, etc. don't care as much about the Western market as you may hope. And BTW, China is still a communist country and it's citizens are not free. Talk to @Jason McNeil about how easy it is to communicate to the outside world while in China.

Where is dji located?

4 minutes ago, novazeus said:

Where is dji located?

Are you attempting a comparison between a multi-billion dollar company with facilities in different regions of the world with Ma and Pop Chinese companies employing handfuls of people :blink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Are you attempting a comparison between a multi-billion dollar company with facilities in different regions of the world with Ma and Pop Chinese companies employing handfuls of people :blink:

Yeah, china is china. Are some parts not communist. Just mom and pop shops?

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

Yeah, china is china. Are some parts not communist. Just mom and pop shops?

This isn't that complicated. DJI has facilities in other regions of the world, including here. So the people how live outside the Great Firewall are free to service Americans in our native tongue, etc. Same with Europe, and every other country.

I'm sure you can Google about how China operates if you're interested.

• Like 1

i’m sure if jason had an answer and he did help me, he would lmk. even my gm dealer had to confer with gm the other day to fix my infotainment center. like u and others have said before, wheel warranty is a joke. segway did return my emails and offered solutions before i shipped one back at their expense.

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This isn't that complicated. DJI has facilities in other regions of the world, including here. So the people how live outside the Great Firewall are free to service Americans in our native tongue, etc. Same with Europe, and every other country.

I'm sure you can Google about how China operates if you're interested.

have u read kingsong’s website under support?

2 minutes ago, z3n said:

@novazeus, I would suggest you to try using different chargers to see if there is different result. I myself am not able to fully charge my V8 because of the charger.

More detailed info here:

i have two ks wheels and two ks chargers. both read 67. 4 volts and above. both charge the wheels the same way. around 64.75 to 65 volts. i think it’s a  voltage reading error by the wheel or the app i know is defective. 

if anybody has a ks-16s or ks-18s wheel that u have charged to 100% voltage using their brick, please take a screenshot and post it. i wanna see it to believe it. apple or android i don’t care. 

it’s just hard to believe, two different wheels, same problem, one buyer. i’ve posted my screenshots. it is what it is.if jason is right about the diode eating 1.2 volts of the charge, none should get to 100%.

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

if anybody has a ks-16s or ks-18s wheel that u have charged to 100% voltage using their brick, please take a screenshot and post it. i wanna see it to believe it. apple or android i don’t care. 

it’s just hard to believe, two different wheels, same problem, one buyer. i’ve posted my screenshots. it is what it is.if jason is right about the diode eating 1.2 volts of the charge, none should get to 100%.

As I have mentioned before both my wheel (16S & 18S) charge on my two KS stock chargers to the point that the KS app and Wheel Log show 100%. I have one after-market charger that only gets the 18S to 98% (not sure if this charger does same on 16S, will check when I have a chance). I suspect the KS chargers are vendor items that are not actually produced by KS, my wife has an in  Inmotion electric scooter and although the brick is smaller and different voltage the plastic casing with it’s embossing is identical to the KS chargers, that kinda clues me in that they are 3rd party vendor items and kinda cheap.

If your wheels charge in a normal period of time, and the little light turns from red to green then personally I wouldn’t sweat the issue, just go out to your long driveway and pasture and enjoy the wheel experience.

When I bought my wheels I knew buying a product from China could be risky, maybe hit or miss, so I purchased through ewheels because I figured I’d have some recourse if I experienced any issues as they provide a one year warranty and had good reviews. I’m glad I did because Jason is great and has been a pleasure to deal with in every respect.

So far (after 1,100 combined miles) I have been very impressed with the quality and dependability of these KS wheels, they have been a good purchase for me and I will probably be adding the 18L when it comes out. By the way, I’ll be 61 in March (not 15) and I am riding my wheels with a total knee replacement on my right knee, the wheels have actually been somewhat therapeutic for my knee rehab because you have to kinda keep the knees bent and springy like snow or water skiing, good for the muscles around the knee.

I really don’t think you have a big issue here, go ahead and try to see if KS can shine some light on your issue, but frankly if it were me I’d just go ride the wheels and chalk it up to a variation in software voltage reporting to the app. If you’re getting normal indications from the charger (green light) then just go with it, and enjoy your rides.

Just my two cents worth.

P.S. Next time I do a top off balance charge to 100% percent I will send you a screen shot as you have requested above. 

• Like 1

I looked at the back of the KS chargers and the Inmotion charger just out of curiosity. They are, as I suspected, vendor items produced by Shenzhen Fuyuandian. And although they are perfectly adequate they don’t really seem to be of the utmost quality. I suspect there is a lot of variation to their output specs, and there is more to a charger’s function than just the voltage output you read on a multimeter.

To all others to explain about the “charge diode”

Other than GW wheels...Kingsong wheels BMS’s are protected, means your charge port can not short, when you let fall a key or something else above it. This is done by a so called protection diode...For example, when you have a charge doctor, and plug it onto a KS wheel ALONE without charger, it will show nothing, as there is no voltage on the charge port!

On a GW wheel the charge doctor without charger WILL show a Voltage as the charge port is NOT protected....

That has some side effects!

When you charge up your wheel to a 100%, you still will not be able to have the app shown 67,2 Volt.

The maximum the voltage should/will show is about 66,6 Volt, as this protection diode makes the real voltage that is shown a bit lower...about 0,5-0,6 Volts...not 1,2 Volt...thats a bit to much.

BUT: This effect is known...and still your app will show a 100% charge!

So nope...this “diode” effect has nothing to do with a wheel that only loads up to 90%.......on a wheel like that someting else is wrong, BMS, some cells, one of the packs....user error, charger...who knows?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

As I have mentioned before both my wheel (16S & 18S) charge on my two KS stock chargers to the point that the KS app and Wheel Log show 100%. I have one after-market charger that only gets the 18S to 98% (not sure if this charger does same on 16S, will check when I have a chance). I suspect the KS chargers are vendor items that are not actually produced by KS, my wife has an in  Inmotion electric scooter and although the brick is smaller and different voltage the plastic casing with it’s embossing is identical to the KS chargers, that kinda clues me in that they are 3rd party vendor items and kinda cheap.

If your wheels charge in a normal period of time, and the little light turns from red to green then personally I wouldn’t sweat the issue, just go out to your long driveway and pasture and enjoy the wheel experience.

When I bought my wheels I knew buying a product from China could be risky, maybe hit or miss, so I purchased through ewheels because I figured I’d have some recourse if I experienced any issues as they provide a one year warranty and had good reviews. I’m glad I did because Jason is great and has been a pleasure to deal with in every respect.

So far (after 1,100 combined miles) I have been very impressed with the quality and dependability of these KS wheels, they have been a good purchase for me and I will probably be adding the 18L when it comes out. By the way, I’ll be 61 in March (not 15) and I am riding my wheels with a total knee replacement on my right knee, the wheels have actually been somewhat therapeutic for my knee rehab because you have to kinda keep the knees bent and springy like snow or water skiing, good for the muscles around the knee.

I really don’t think you have a big issue here, go ahead and try to see if KS can shine some light on your issue, but frankly if it were me I’d just go ride the wheels and chalk it up to a variation in software voltage reporting to the app. If you’re getting normal indications from the charger (green light) then just go with it, and enjoy your rides.

Just my two cents worth.

P.S. Next time I do a top off balance charge to 100% percent I will send you a screen shot as you have requested above. 

yeah, i’m riding them and i’ve ordered a charge doctor which should give me clues what the chargers are doing. sounds like you got two wheels that aren’t defective. it’s hard to troubleshoot something not having anything to compare to. do the apps, kingsong and wheellog show voltages jumping up and down with the wheel perfectly still? idk if that’s normal or not. do the apps show top speed before the wheel has moved? i would greatly appreciate knowing what your voltage is when the  ks charger is finished charging. 

i like the wheels too, except not knowing if there’s a problem brewing and the marketability of them(doubt if i’d bother to sell them). thought i’d like the 16s but i have to modify it maybe for my ankles and the 18s is perfect fit. 

it’s probably a little cooler where u live and not being a li-on pack expert thought maybe environment mught be an issue. but the 9bots work flawlessly in my environment so that’s probably not it. so out of 6 wheels, i got two duds.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

someting else is wrong, BMS, some cells, one of the packs....user error, charger...who knows?

could you please expound on “user error”. maybe i am doing something wrong. does seem odd both wheels have identical problems with the voltages and the apps.

i’m presuming bms, battery packs aren’t correctable, by me, at least. the chargers are reading more volts than 67.2, not by much. 67.4, 67.7. i’ve tried both. 

39 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah, i’m riding them and i’ve ordered a charge doctor which should give me clues what the chargers are doing. sounds like you got two wheels that aren’t defective. it’s hard to troubleshoot something not having anything to compare to. do the apps, kingsong and wheellog show voltages jumping up and down with the wheel perfectly still? idk if that’s normal or not. 

Yes, they show power bouncing around when standing still, it’s normal, just the nature of the beast.........I read somewhere on this forum why that happens, but it is normal for the apps at least.

I just don’t pay a lot of mind to the apps and minutiae, I use the apps to change settings and as a general reference, but I don’t focus too much on the details as there is variation and frankly a bit of garbage in — garbage out going on with the software. I would venture to guess there are some folks out in the world that never use the apps at all, just charge the sucker up and go ride kinda thing.

like I said though, just for comparison sake, I’ll shoot you a screen shot of the app next time I do a top-off charge.

3 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Yes, they show power bouncing around when standing still, it’s normal, just the nature of the beast.........I read somewhere on this forum why that happens, but it is normal for the apps at least.

I just don’t pay a lot of mind to the apps and minutiae, I use the apps to change settings and as a general reference, but I don’t focus too much on the details as there is variation and frankly a bit of garbage in — garbage out going on with the software. I would venture to guess there are some folks out in the world that never use the apps at all, just charge the sucker up and go ride kinda thing.

like I said though, just for comparison sake, I’ll shoot you a screen shot of the app next time I do a top-off charge.

thanks. 

i got these things in august but because of life, i couldn’t start until dec or jan and before i installed wheellog, i never knew i had a problem. i hook them up to the charger, light turns green, set it aside. my eyes are so bad i couldn’t read the fonts on the ks app anyway. 

like i’ve said many times, i don’t care if i lose range if the wheels are defective, i just don’t wanna be knowing there’s a issue that could potentially cause a cut out, and i was too ignorant to note the warning sign of the packs not fully charging. if they are safe battery/charging wise, like not gonna blow up or burn the house down, and safe riding wise. i don’t care if the packs ever charge fully. might be a blessing. 

see if u notice the top speed thing in ur app before u move the wheel. like i said, mine might register 2 to 3 mph before it’s been moved. i don’t know what calculates that or if it’s at all related. it’s pretty quiet on the ranch and like yesterday i noticed it making weird sounds going back and forth by hand. i’ve noticed weird noises intermittingly from all of them thouugh. the only wheel really getting punished, is the ks-18s because of riding in the pastures. if they are breakable by running over rough surfaces, my pastures will do it. i hope not.

23 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Thats a little glitch, the board reports unbelievable high amounts of watts/amps when standing still....when you start riding its ok! Just a little software bug...depending on the variables used.

I think it's not a bug. Now, KS wheels use signed current values. Old versions of WheelLog give huge values when the current is negative because msb is 1.

Then, when the current is >600, you have to subtract 655.35 Amperes to have good value. The power is simply the product voltage * current.

You have to upgrade WheelLog, last version is OK.

3 hours ago, Techos78 said:

I think it's not a bug. Now, KS wheels use signed current values. Old versions of WheelLog give huge values when the current is negative because msb is 1.

Then, when the current is >600, you have to subtract 655.35 Amperes to have good value. The power is simply the product voltage * current.

You have to upgrade WheelLog, last version is OK.

i have the current version.