Flat Tire Ninebot One

Tishawn Fahie

Hello all so I was flying my drone in a huge soccer field as a test since it has a mode called follow me. I thought to myself hey why dont I ride my Ninebot while getting the drone to follow me. I was able to do this and it actually worked out pretty fine. Will post footage - Would work better if i had a gimbal but that's another story. - 

Anyway on my way home I realized that the tire began to rub and the bottom of the ninbot was actually scraping the pavement as I turn. By the time i got home it was pretty  much a flat. Took it apart to find out the inner tube was puncture but it had bent air valve which is normal. Went to every bike store in the area looking for the same tube but nobody had one. I was able to order some online but their coming from the UK and i didn't want to wait.

I ended up purchasing a bike inner tube - which introduced problem number 1 - 

100126_0.jpg - Original bike tube

ninebot_one_tire_2.jpg - Ninebot One tube

As you can see the original ninebot one tube has an bent air valve that is designed to sit well inside the actual rim, while the regular inner tube for bikes just sticks out potentially hitting the body.

What I ended up doing was adding about 3 washers - I inserted these washers into the tube's air valve so that it takes up some space so that when the tube is inserted back into the rim the air valve is not sticking out as much - but just enough to put air in. What i aslo did was add Rhino's Dillo's Tire liner. This sit in between the tire and the inner tube. So far so good, i'll update as I ride along. Its pretty annoying to take apart the ninebot every time there's a flat so i'm hoping an extra layer of protections would help. 

I hope this can help someone who was in my position!

Here's a link to the product if intersted.

tire_cut.jpg -  tire liner

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066DK3UW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

rhino.jpg - Put in between tire and innter tube

Very cool dude!

I really did not understand the washer part and why you needed to add those three washers but very interesting alternative and i have a strange feeling what u purchased may be better than ninebot one's stock (at least with the liner)

Question: how much was the price of the tube? (compared to the one they're selling online, was it cheaper?) how did u find the right size at a local store? is it a standard bike size?

Very cool that you got the dissemble part down. I hope i could fix mine in the future too

@patrickrho - Good question

The standard inntertube was only about $4 from a bike shop. No where near the asking price of the ninebot inner tube.  

Regarding the washers - the standard inner tube airvavle stick out a bit too much so it can potential - (and maybe not) rub against the body the shell of the ninebot. In order to reduce the amount the air valve sticks out i added some washers to the rim side of the valve. That way it doesn't stick out as much because the washers are in the way. I hope this helps.

@patrickrho - Good question

The standard inntertube was only about $4 from a bike shop. No where near the asking price of the ninebot inner tube.  

Regarding the washers - the standard inner tube airvavle stick out a bit too much so it can potential - (and maybe not) rub against the body the shell of the ninebot. In order to reduce the amount the air valve sticks out i added some washers to the rim side of the valve. That way it doesn't stick out as much because the washers are in the way. I hope this helps.

This is potentially the best bit of advice for non-newbies on here!

@Kroy thank you! Trust me i drove to every bike shop in my area looking for an innertube with a bent air valve with no avail, finally decided to be creative. So far so good no issues as of now.

@patrickrho - to answer your question the ninebot tire size is about 16 inches. The bike inner tube was about 16 x 1.25 or something along those lines. The even had 16" tires for those who want to change it out. I might be doing so next.

Footage of the drone following me while i ride the ninebot -

@Kroy thank you! Trust me i drove to every bike shop in my area looking for an innertube with a bent air valve with no avail, finally decided to be creative. So far so good no issues as of now.

@patrickrho - to answer your question the ninebot tire size is about 16 inches. The bike inner tube was about 16 x 1.25 or something along those lines. The even had 16" tires for those who want to change it out. I might be doing so next.

Thanks for the information! 

Im sure this sort of information will serve the community well like Kroy mentioned

When you get a puncture on a ninebot one, is it always the inner tube that needs to be replaced? Is the tire OK to be reused?  Say a needle goes through the tire and through the inner tube, then you would just need to replace the inner tube?

@patrickrho - It really depends - I use to do  a lot of bike riding - usually when the inner tube is punctured that mean something went through the tire and hit the tube. You can res-use the tire with no issues. The inner tube would just have to be patched -tube patch kit is a kit that is sold at all bike shops for about $3.00. That way you dont have to run out and purchase a new tube. It's rare to just go out and by a brand new tire unless you can actually see the hole.

Hope this helps!

My concern with metal washers would be that it would affect the balance of the tire when you're at speed, leading to vibration. Perhaps you could cut up the old tube and use some pieces of rubber as spacers? You're right about the crazy cost of these bent-valve tubes though, a new one for my 14-inch EUC cost $20! In my case it was a weakness in the original tube and not a puncture, after patching it once I gave up and just replaced it.

@dmethvin - You know what i didn't think about that, I rode to work this morning and did not feel any vibrations although its probably because i wasn't looking for any. I'll observe my ride on my way home and report, good observation!

Its funny you say that I thought the same thing there's already a whole - It's weak at this point. The last thing I want is to be far away from home get a flat and have to carry it all the way back that's why i decided to just purchase a new inner-tube.

And yes $20 for an inner-tube is absurd!

I doubt the washers have enough mass to cause any noticeable vibrations (people have bike computer magnets attached to the rim, which probably weigh more), but of course could be wrong... The riding speeds, and thus, rotational speeds on EUCs are much lower than say a motorcycle or a car, where the tire balancing probably matters much more (in higher speeds).

the drone vid is friggen cool! B)

I loose air very slowly, gotta refill my tire every 1.5 weeks so I will be looking at a tube replacement soon, thats good intel thanks @Tishawn Fahie , I will ask the bike shop if they can bend the valve, they got 5 tries before it gets more expensive than a ninebot tire :lol:

Thanks for confirming about the washers yeah i'm not to familiar with wheel balance. I know for sure riding in I didn't feel anytime of vibration.

@Jag_Rip - Haha your so right! I didn't even think to ask them to bend the valve, shouldn't be a problem. And thanks yeah i'm just testing different scenarios with drone recording!

@Gil - I actually saw that product - I ran through various forums and while some swear by the slime solution, most people went with the tire liners for some reason.

There was a German video posted here recently where someone added weights to the tire to balance it and reduce vibrations. But maybe it was just another case of German over-engineering. :P

Whatdoyamean "over-engineering"??? We're merely doing what's necessary - everybody else under-engineers! :D:P:D

You likely refer to this video by Ferenc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVsKTcMhU-I. Unfortunately, its German comments only. I have not tried his recommendation yet, but my GW M18 got the shakes, too. It's way to little to be really annoying, let alone dangerous, but once you know it's there ....

• 1 year later...

I had a flat tire a few months ago and I was lazy to wait and buy the 9bot tire, so I did what you did and use a regular tire and 3 rubber washers.

But now the issue is there is no other way to pump air in the tire except to take the whole thing apart again innit.

Why can't you just buy a bent valve wheel on Amazon?  They run about $17 U.S. I would strongly recommend buying the Heavy Duty version of this tube. I've tried many others and always seem to replace them.  I don't know if it's the Heavy Duty or the next  product I discovered but the combination of the two works great!  

Or, you can buy Stan's Tubeless solution which comes in like a 2oz bottle for $5.  That stuff I would HIGHLY recommend everyone put in their wheel.  It reseals the tire when a puncture occurs, immediately.  I've driven through glass and heard it puncture several times and air start to drain from my tire, then it just stopped. Stan's is the bomb!  I tried Slime several times and it just didn't seal my tire, and was VERY messy.  Also tried fix a flat which ruined my tire.  

Here's a link for both:

16" x 2.125"  tire:  https://www.amazon.com/16x2-125-Inner-Angled-Valve-Electric/dp/B00G03ZCRC/ref=pd_day0_468_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00G03ZCRC&pd_rd_r=6YHJ620FN04J95QX5ZJJ&pd_rd_w=8jTZp&pd_rd_wg=lcBiO&psc=1&refRID=6YHJ620FN04J95QX5ZJJ

Stan's Tubless Sealant:  http://www.notubes.com/2-ounce-Tire-Sealant-P154.aspx 

How is a bent valve made ? Because it does look a bit like they just got a standard inner tube and a massive pair of pliers, and went from there. There is a definite crease on both my wheels where the pipe has been bent, suggesting it isn't something manufactured in, or bent nicely round some sort of forming device - so my question is - how easy it to bend one of these things yourself ? I guess if a standard inner tube is only $7 it won't cost too much to find out...

This is one area where Solowheel got it right, and nobody else has - their valves are just shorter and straight, so fit without having to bend anything.

Anyone know where we get those from ?! :)

• 8 months later...
On 10/08/2017 at 9:33 AM, Marvin Ong said:

Bought some tubes from ebay. And when they came the tubes were pointing the wrong way.

Doesn't that simply depend on in which direction the tube is mounted? Turning it by 180 should make it point to the right direction, no? 

Archived