KS-16 Broken Handle

infinityminus1

Has anyone broken the handle on their ks16?  have you made any custom modifications or created some other way of pushing or pulling the wheel?  anyone made other handles or grab bars?  how about backpacks etc?  I just broke one leg of my telescoping handle and fear the next one will break soon.  since I use the wheel for commuting every day here in NY, I need to figure out how to go quickly from riding to pushing/pulling/carrying on the train and into buildings.  Thanks in advance and I would like to say that this kingsong is the first wheel I ever had but most definitely will not be the last.  any suggestions on which wheel I should look at next to step up to something better when I finally have the money?

1 minute ago, infinityminus1 said:

suggestions on which wheel I should look at next to step up to something better when I finally have the money?

the complete forum goes about that question...which wheel is "better" ;-)

And you should build your own opinion about that by reading, watching a lot of reviews.

A progress would be KS16S, KS18S (S Series) or GW ACM 1300, Msuper 1300 or Tesla...

To your trolley question, Sorry i never heard of a DIY solution on the Ks16...but you can get spare parts from ewheels.com !!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When my wheel was new, I put oil in the 16S handle both inside the mechanism and outside at the telescopic system. It has lasted 9000km of daily extending & collapsing without showing any ill issues. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Tony, 

While learning to ride (still learning ) I ran off the wheel and the trolley handle took a pretty hard hit. The handle is still intact but noticeably looser, I would like to remove the cover and see if the handle can be tightened. My problem is I don’t see an obvious way to remove the cover. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

I suggest you watch a few teardowns from YouTube and follow one of them. Much faster and easier for you than trying to follow quick tips we’d try to give, and many of us are not even native English speakers.

If the handle is loose sideways, the only way might be to squeeze or gently hammer the larger extending tubes to fit the smaller inner tubes more snugly. Be careful not to make it too tight.

Edited by mrelwood

On 1/31/2019 at 5:05 PM, Tony Morales said:

Well I broke the handle of ks16s. 

Very week design. 

There is no point replacing it , it will break again very soon.

I am trying to epoxy it back and use some king of dowel pin for putting it together.

weak? no.. like anything it might break if you misuse it but the design is great and it works perfectly.. my daily driver for a year use the handle every day works fantastic.. did you drop it or crash or lean it on things with the handle extended?

On 2/17/2019 at 2:08 AM, Wig said:

Hey Tony, 

While learning to ride (still learning ) I ran off the wheel and the trolley handle took a pretty hard hit. The handle is still intact but noticeably looser, I would like to remove the cover and see if the handle can be tightened. My problem is I don’t see an obvious way to remove the cover. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

There's nothing inside the handle to tighten.  But if you really must get inside there to satisfy your curiosity there are two distinct phases to the dismantle procedure.

Phase one: extend the handle and locate 4 alan screws (2 each side) that attach the handle to the legs.  Remove these and the handle comes away from the legs.  Two white plastic rods will be exposed.  Try to leave them in the legs.  If you raise them up they might come out of the little "feet" they sit in.  Getting them back in the feet the right way might be a pain, involving turning the wheel upside down and shaking them out..  So best avoided if possible. I glued mine on.

Phase 2: flip the handle over and observe two philips screw heads. remove these and the handle will reveal its inner workings (a spring to be exact).  Undo the screws evenly as the spring tension will push the looser end higher than the tighter end, creating an unwanted bend in the screw post on the tight side.

reverse to reassemble.

I thought he meant to open the wheel cover. Either way, there is no screw that controls the handle tightness.

One thing came to mind though. Gluing a very thin sliver of plastic between the thicker and thinner handle extension tube could help if the thicker tube opening has been spread a bit by the crash.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to necro a thread, but since this is the first Google hit for the problem, new handles can be purchased from eWheels.com. Fixing a handle that broke off in a crash like mine did involves taking off the outer cover and replacing the trolley assembly..  It's a fairly straightforward procedure.

Unfortunately, Jason sent me the KS18 handle on my order, though I double-checked that I'd ordered the KS16 trolley assembly. Hopefully we'll get that squared away. For this week's long trip, I'll just have to live without the handle. Annoying, but doesn't stop me from riding it!

On 1/31/2019 at 8:05 PM, Tony Morales said:

Well I broke the handle of ks16s. 

Very week design. 

There is no point replacing it , it will break again very soon.

I am trying to epoxy it back and use some king of dowel pin for putting it together.

The KS 16s handle is definitely very poorly designed and manufactured.  I have two 16s wheels and each handle has broken twice at the exact same place, at the top of the plastic extension of the handle that fits into the aluminum bar.  Why this is not made of metal or a better grade plastic, I do not know, but it is a major defect.  Twice the handles broke simply by lifting the machines.  The other two times they broke when guiding the wheels, so some torsion effect but not too much.  I have a handle from a larger Kingsong wheel and it is made of a much harder grade plastic; unfortunately it does not fit the 16s.

I have drilled out the top of the handle so that it sits down more deeply on the aluminum bar and used a coat hanger wire to hold it in place, but then of course it will not fully colapse into a locked position.  If you simply drill and screw the handle back in place, the soft plastic gives way very quickly, so that's not a good option.

I don't want to buy another replacement handle of the same variety because they are truly junk, so if anyone knows of any better made alternatives, please post!

8 minutes ago, pbb said:

if anyone knows of any better made alternatives, please post!

The latest 16S and 18(X)L come with an aluminium handle. It fits your 16S, you only need to drill new holes into the telescope poles. See here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2Fnovosti-priehali-kingsong-ks-18l-s-novymi-datchikami-priehali-metallicheskie-ruchki-dlya-ks-16s%2F

Ask your seller if he can send you such a handle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The latest 16S and 18(X)L come with an aluminium handle. It fits your 16S, you only need to drill new holes into the telescope poles. See here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2Fnovosti-priehali-kingsong-ks-18l-s-novymi-datchikami-priehali-metallicheskie-ruchki-dlya-ks-16s%2F

Ask your seller if he can send you such a handle.

That's great news, thank you!  So far I only see sales listings for the old plastic versions, but I'll keep looking!

• 3 months later...

I believe that the way to make the old handle last is to only lift the wheel when the handle is in locked down position, so the crummy plastic pasts don't bear any weight.

So, for example, if you are walking down stairs with it, don't be tempted , as I was, to have the handle extended, carrying it that way.

My new handle is arriving soon, and I am lucky that they sent the 'old version' which is the one that fits the trolly extension I have.

Edited by Pete Bucknell

As Pete suggested, never leave the handle extended when carrying. I recently dissasmbled the entire handle and telescopic arms, and it is evident how much strain you put on the pegs and aluminum when lifting a very heavy object. 

My KS16X handles telescope in and out fine, but the locking mechanism does not work on one of the arms. The handle assembly in general is a good design, but needs better part quality to do the job it was Intended to do. 

Additionally, some screws on the handle assembly are protected from the elements with a glue dabble, while others are not. If you own a Kingsong wheel, look under your handle and see if there is glue on the screws on the bottom of the handle. If there isn't, and you want it to have better weather proofing, stick a small piece of duct tape over it or a dabble of hot glue to help the handle last longer.