EWheels 84-volt Fast Charger Failure and Repair

Marty Backe

As first documented here, my EWheels 84-volt Fast Charger failed.

I located a more robust version of the component that failed and fixed the charger. Here's a video of the process in the unlikely event that someone else has the same failure and finds this topic.

At the time of the failure @Jason McNeil told me that there had been a few other related failures. That was a month in a half ago, so there may have been more by now. If you're reading this and didn't get a replacement charger and are interested in repairing yours, this video may be of interest.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

As first documented here, my EWheels 84-volt Fast Charger failed.

I located a more robust version of the component that failed and fixed the charger. Here's a video of the process in the unlikely event that someone else has the same failure and finds this topic.

At the time of the failure @Jason McNeil told me that there had been a few other related failures. That was a month in a half ago, so there may have been more by now. If you're reading this and didn't get a replacement charger and are interested in repairing yours, this video may be of interest.

Thanks, you are great!!

Maybe put a link in the video description of where you bought the thermistor.  You can also sign up for an Amazon affiliates program where you get a referral code, and if people buy the product clicking through your link you get some money from Amazon.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/welcome/getstarted

May as well make use of all those opportunities to get close to that free wheel per year fund!  :whistling:  You also should be wearing some of that good good Marty MerchTM.  Always plug!  Like 'n Subscribe!  :lol:  Learn from this guy!

Nice one @Marty Backe .  I might have to do something similar to the charger I got with the 16s.  It's nothing special (67V, 2A)  but it gets insanely hot.  I know that can't be good in the long run.  I've taken to charging in the evening, then using the charger to warm my bed sheets before I go to bed. ;)

4 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Nice one @Marty Backe .  I might have to do something similar to the charger I got with the 16s.  It's nothing special (67V, 2A)  but it gets insanely hot.  I know that can't be good in the long run.  I've taken to charging in the evening, then using the charger to warm my bed sheets before I go to bed. ;)

Our Standard chargers are getting quite hot...thats normal, no need to worry!

35 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe put a link in the video description of where you bought the thermistor.  You can also sign up for an Amazon affiliates program where you get a referral code, and if people buy the product clicking through your link you get some money from Amazon.

May as well make use of all those opportunities to get close to that free wheel per year fund!  :whistling:  You also should be wearing some of that good good Marty MerchTM.  Always plug!  Like 'n Subscribe!  :lol:  Learn from this guy!

Who is the Ritalin OD nut job?  Jeez!  I'm embarrassed that I speak the same language as he does.  He reminds me of Super Dell Schantz, the Utah nut job who is single handedly ruining Powered Paragliding in America.  You think I exaggerate? Dell  got Powered Paragliding banned FROM THE ENTIRE OREGON COAST !!

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Our Standard chargers are getting quite hot...thats normal, no need to worry!

I hope you're right.  My14c charger has the same specs but it doesn't get nearly as hot. I'm having visions of hoverboard fires.  I don't feel safe leaving it unattended

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Who is the Ritalin OD nut job?  Jeez!  I'm embarrassed that I speak the same language as he does.  He reminds me of Super Dell Schantz, the Utah nut job who is single handedly ruining Powered Paragliding in America.  You think I exaggerate? Dell  got Powered Paragliding banned FROM THE ENTIRE OREGON COAST !!

:lol:  You good bro'?  Logan Paul is a big Youtuber guy.  His brother's a bit of a douchebag so I went over to the Logang instead.  Kinda random stuff following his life and adventures.  He's done some movies and is quite the social media influencer.  I think he's up to like 13 million subscribers?  Certainly no Pewdipie, but he's an up and comer.  He dated Quake (Chloe Bennet) from Marvel's Agents of Shield.

It's amazing how much money you can make from Youtube if you're popular enough.  It's no joke.  People make money unboxing things and shooting bullets through stuff.  They end up buying Lamborghinis and million dollar homes.  It's pretty crazy!  This guy has some interesting videos.  He reminds me of the lead singer of "Imagine Dragons," and he just shoots stuff up.  :popcorn:

I think for 14 million views they make about $15,400?  :w00t2:

@Marty Backe a few things. 

Did you discharge those big caps or had it just been a few months since you'd used the charger? I think they usually have bleed resistors but you could still get a shock if it had been plugged in just before you opened it because of the residual charge.

How did you find out the value of the thermistor? Looks like the old one would have been too torched to read off the value. By the way, NTC stands for negative temperature compensation which yeah, means the resistance gets lower with temperature. There are also PTC thermistors that increase resistance with temperature and can be used like fuses but they're not as common.

4 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Mine appears to still be working.  Do I request a replacement from Jason or wait for it to go bad?

I doubt that @Jason McNeil will replace a working unit. Wait unit it fails (if it fails).

3 hours ago, dmethvin said:

@Marty Backe a few things. 

Did you discharge those big caps or had it just been a few months since you'd used the charger? I think they usually have bleed resistors but you could still get a shock if it had been plugged in just before you opened it because of the residual charge.

How did you find out the value of the thermistor? Looks like the old one would have been too torched to read off the value. By the way, NTC stands for negative temperature compensation which yeah, means the resistance gets lower with temperature. There are also PTC thermistors that increase resistance with temperature and can be used like fuses but they're not as common.

No I didn't discharge the caps. It had not been plugged into for a couple of months. When you unplug the charger, the LEDs keep functioning for may 5-seconds, so I'm guessing the capacitors will be discharged when unplugged.

Yeah, the old one was a bunch of burnt particles :) I talked to Jason and he asked the designers of the Charger for the part number. Then once I acquired the relevant specifications I located a compatible one but with 2-amps additional capability.

Apparently the next shipment of chargers that he receives will have the NTC located downstream a bit where the current is less. That's their fix instead of specifying a more robust component. Whatever gets the job done.

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You're always looking out for me :cheers:

I just edited the the post and inserted a link to what I bought. Thanks for the suggestion.

"I got yer backe."  Gotta look after the man.  :innocent1:    Not to mention my future 10% in retroactive royalties.  :whistling:  Maybe put the same thermister link in the Youtube video description section so people watching the video through Youtube can click it too.  Some people just search on Google for answers, and they go to Youtube directly so they don't frequent the forum  :efef927839:.   Exposure, Marty, exposure.

"I got yer backe" is the new catch phrase.  Try saying that a few times in future videos while pointing at the camera, and we can put it on T-shirts with your likeness on them.  Gotta build the brand!  :w00t2:

59 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

"I got yer backe."  Gotta look after the man.  :innocent1:    Not to mention my future 10% in retroactive royalties.  :whistling:  Maybe put the same thermister link in the Youtube video description section so people watching the video through Youtube can click it too.  Some people just search on Google for answers, and they go to Youtube directly so they don't frequent the forum  :efef927839:  Exposure, Marty, exposure.

"I got yer backe" is the new catch phrase.  Try saying that a few times in future videos while pointing at the camera, and we can put it on T-shirts with your likeness on them.  Gotta build the brand!  :w00t2:

:laughbounce2:

Nope, I'm going to force them to come here - better exposure for the Forum :D

On 11/28/2017 at 4:41 AM, dmethvin said:

By the way, NTC stands for negative temperature compensation which yeah, means the resistance gets lower with temperature.

<puts on terminology nazi hat>

Negative Temperature Coefficient

</hat off>

;)  What? This is important!

duty_calls.png

• 4 months later...
On 28/11/2017 at 12:47 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

im glad marty didnt learn from that guy ;) 

hmm ehh. . .  suicide... eh ehmm. . . forest 

Archived