for a unicycle that goes up to 50 kmh max what gear do i need?

so i want some reccomendations for what kinds of gear to use a bike helmet or a motor bike helmet? and some answers for some different speeds, at what speed i should use a helmet and at what speed a motor bike helmet? for example 

and what about elbow and knee protectors?    i think a motor bike helmet would be good for 40+ kmh  rides correct me if im wrong and tell me what to use 

Edited by Shad0z

Knee pads and wrist guards are a must, as if you fall you will land on knee and Hands.

Helmet is also very recommended, a helmet with shin guard makes more sense than a skate or bike helmet, but not everybody wants to wear that kind of helmet.

Most important is...you wear some Kind of helmet.

You will find out very fast that going over 40kmh is no fun anymore on a 16 or 18inch EUC.....preferable cruising Speeds are from 28-35kmh...

• Like 1

If you expect to actually ride at 50kph (unlikely) then (in no particular order)  full motorcycle gear (abrasion resistant)  with built in protection for spine, elbow, knees, shoulder, and hips. Also a full face motorcycle helmet and armored boots. The best wrist guards you can buy that work with armoured abrasion resistant gloves. 50kph is beyond skateboard or bicycle gear, especially on a single 16 or 18 inch wheel where your chance of eating it is very high. 

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pard said:

You need I.D. (that can be easily located by responders if you are unresponsive) and health insurance of some kind as well.  ;)

if you live in USA... 

Edited by Shad0z

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Knee pads and wrist guards are a must, as if you fall you will land on knee and Hands.

Helmet is also very recommended, a helmet with shin guard makes more sense than a skate or bike helmet, but not everybody wants to wear that kind of helmet.

Most important is...you wear some Kind of helmet.

You will find out very fast that going over 40kmh is no fun anymore on a 16 or 18inch EUC.....preferable cruising Speeds are from 28-35kmh...

yes i heard a lot that over 40 kmh is scary and i probably wont be driving that speed but i will probably attempt it at some time but what about safety gear when driving at say.. 35 kmh?

Edited by Shad0z

40 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

yes i heard a lot that over 40 kmh is scary and i probably wont be driving that speed but i will probably attempt it at some time but what about safety gear when driving at say.. 35 kmh?

almost something like

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

full motorcycle gear (abrasion resistant)  with built in protection for spine, elbow, knees, shoulder, and hips. Also a full face motorcycle helmet and armored boots. The best wrist guards you can buy that work with armoured abrasion resistant gloves. 50kph is beyond skateboard or bicycle gear, especially on a single 16 or 18 inch wheel where your chance of eating it is very high. 

Maybe at 35 abrasion resistant and armored boots are not too necessary?

But depends mainly on how you fall, how often you fall and endurance, skin&bone durability :) ... and if an accident catches you unaware or you are prepared... how fast you can run off ... etc...

so

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I hate to be the buzzkill here but coming from the sportsbike (or any motorcycle for that matter) world, a 50kph wipe is nothing to write home about....provided 2 conditions are met.

1.You're all geared up in bike gear (NO not skateboarding nor Harley leather vest & pants either).

2.Perhaps the most important factor isn't the crash itself but what you hit (or what hits you) after.

Being an ex sportsbiker, I've some leftover leathers (likely too hardcore for wheels but full leather racesuits are THE BEST) suit & jacket/s. On hot days, I ride with a lighter Joe Rocket mesh jacket (armored ofcos) & on less hot days, I ride with a Bimmer mesh air flow (all leftovers) which makes me feel I can take most any fall. Together with a fullface helmet, a pair of Leatt knee pads & wrist guards over bionic xtraining full finger gloves, I think I'm basically invincible provided I don't get run over by a 2+ton automobile.

Sportsbike or better yet, race gear is the way to for best protection but mesh bike jackets are much cooler (in more ways than one) IMHO than a T-shirt + elbow & whatever pads. Don't forget about roadrash which only anti-abrasion material (like kevlar, mesh or otherwise) can provide. 

To each their own. In our local group we have a wide range of gears being used from only a bicycle helmet to full body armor.

I am still a relatively new rider, 2500 or so km under my belt sice starting in April. I started with wrist/knee/elbow guards that I had left over from my rollerblading days and paired them up with my bicycle helmet. As my confidence and speed grew I quickly realized that this is not enough for me. Too many stupid people around me, bicycles who don’t want to share the bike lane with others and cars who don’t see you coming so I swapped out the starter gear to

• Motorcross helmet
  • wrist guards
  • Motorcross full body armor (vest with chest, elbow, shoulder, clavicle and spine guards built in)(i have 2, one lighter for warm weather and one heavier duty)
  • leatt style knee/shin pads
  • Motocross ”under pants” with hip & buttox pads

I know that this might feel like overkill to most, but I want to survive my falls and get back on the wheel as soon as possible when and if disaster strikes. And we all know that there are only two types of riders, the ones who have had a bad spill and the ones who will have one.

• Like 1

I always ride with leather gloves with knuckle protection and motorcycle boots with ankle protection or hi tops with steel toe box. Those two pieces of safety gear are rarely mentioned but damage to your hands and feet greatly affect your quality of life should you injure them badly enough. Yes, this is in addition to wrist guards, knee guards, full face helmet and abrasion-resistant shirt and pants. Basically, gear up fully top to bottom if you're riding faster than 30km/h.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FinRider said:

To each their own. In our local group we have a wide range of gears being used from only a bicycle helmet to full body armor.

Absolutely no argument from me! Heck I watch the NYC Eastgate crew vids where some only have a skateboard helmet & a few with no protection mixing it with autos/trucks on Broadway. Each to their own as always!

Me, I'm way too old for unnecessary pain & I value skin as much as bone. MotorX stuff are great in the armor dept but not so much on the anti roadrash side but ya each to their own. OP did ask what gear he/she would need in the event of a 50kph wipe & I highly value bike race gear (or as close as possible) if one wants to walk away unscathed or as close to that as possible. That & not mixing it with autos on main st is the best IMHO. YMMV ofcos

While the young are fearless, I'll leave with a Mike Tyson quote....

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth…”

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 8:26 PM, Mango said:

I always ride with leather gloves with knuckle protection and motorcycle boots with ankle protection or hi tops with steel toe box. Those two pieces of safety gear are rarely mentioned but damage to your hands and feet greatly affect your quality of life should you injure them badly enough. Yes, this is in addition to wrist guards, knee guards, full face helmet and abrasion-resistant shirt and pants. Basically, gear up fully top to bottom if you're riding faster than 30km/h.

True, I fell at 38kmh for no obvious reason except from excess speed, and even with CE mc hi tops with hard ankle protections I managed to break an ankle: however it's a minor fracture, just a shard of bone split off, would have been much worse w/o the shoes for sure. Hurt like hell for 3 weeks though, slowly subsiding pain...

The d3o shoulder and elbow pads prevented much worse damage (had a huge "blueprint" of the d3o pad on my elbow with zero pain).

Also got a nice patch of road rash on my hip (not yet healed after 3 weeks), not wearing any hip protection, and when you slide your abrasion resistant jacket will slide up and offer no protection. Lesson learnt: attach jacket to pants always (mc jackets have some attachment system.)