proper foot position?

novazeus

I got hurt falling at a near stop on slippery ice so I don't know if there is a safe speed.  Best to suit up when learning, and maybe riding at around 12 kph might be okay without a lot of gear.  You've been rollerblading before.  What's a safe speed to rollerblade at without using protective gear like kneepads and gloves?  Once you find your balance and control these wheels feel very stable.  It's the accidents when things go wrong that you wished you had more padding on. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I got hurt falling at a near stop on slippery ice so I don't know if there is a safe speed.  Best to suit up when learning, and maybe riding at around 12 kph might be okay without a lot of gear.  You've been rollerblading before.  What's a safe speed to rollerblade at without using protective gear like kneepads and gloves?  Once you find your balance and control these wheel feel very stable.  It's the accidents when things go wrong that you wished you had more padding on. 

Exactly. We can all probably tell you stories of getting hurt from 0-1mph falls.  Pad up.

i bought everything for inline skating but never hardly used it. i was more of a long distance skater, 5 wheels, 20 miles a night at speed. shorts for protection. fell a couple of times. once accumulated leaves on the road after a rain, like pine needles and another when my right rail came loose. scapes. no band aids or neosporin. shower, that’s about it. let’s put it this way, the only time i’ve seen somebody on a wheel was this chubby older guy(probably younger than me but no where near my conditioning) and his gf or wife who looked average at the marina in ft lauderdale. and sometimes i see them on the boardwalk when i was drinking at elbo. if i was skating, i would have passed them like they were standing still. might of knocked them over. i need a lot of room skating. i nevered measured my speed. it’s pretty flat down here but if there were bridges like this one trail, u could get going pretty uncomfortably fast, and i had no brakes, just drag a skate thing. i’d say they were going twice as fast as walking. so walking 3mph, them 6mph, me on inline skates, 15mph. it’s a different way of falling because ur in a much more atheletic position skating than standing pigeon toed on a device with a little air between ur feet and the ground when u dismount. i always just rolled on the pavement. 

snowboarding, that’s dangerous. any of that snow stuff, un uh never again. plus it’s cold. that’s just crazy like those runs that topless girl was on. one screw up, hit a tree and ur done.

oh yeah, i forgot, those people i think wore helmets, maybe more protective gear.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Exactly. We can all probably tell you stories of getting hurt from 0-1mph falls.  Pad up.

definitely gonna pad up for my maiden voyage but at ur skill level now, and on a king song, would u feel safe at a slow speed in a field with no rocks, fl not ca without all ur protective gear? like put urself in my shoes for a second.u step outside, u see buzzards milling around 600 yards away up on the hill and u need to go inspect and ur wheel is right there, u don’t want walk bcause u don’t wanna waste time, at ur skill level, would u forego suiting up like a gladiator for that short run through the pasture? and i’ve seen u on sidewalks with nothing on and on a gotway jk. 

40 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I got hurt falling at a near stop on slippery ice so I don't know if there is a safe speed.  Best to suit up when learning, and maybe riding at around 12 kph might be okay without a lot of gear.  You've been rollerblading before.  What's a safe speed to rollerblade at without using protective gear like kneepads and gloves?  Once you find your balance and control these wheel feel very stable.  It's the accidents when things go wrong that you wished you had more padding on. 

u know living where u do, is crazy dangerous. that walking on black ice. i took a few girls to colorado for a edm concert call snowball i think and another trip to vail. on both of those trips, i was the only one not to fall a bust my ass. u can be standing in one place up there where u live picking ur nose and the next second ur picking urself off the ground. i figured thats why old people moved down here. walking across a parking lot up there in the winter is more dangerous than anything i do. i had these massive northface boots and my feet were still cold. tampa is as far north as i wanna be. i forget everybody doesn’t live in florida.it’s 66 here now brrr!

5 minutes ago, novazeus said:

definitely gonna pad up for my maiden voyage but at ur skill level now, and on a king song, would u feel safe at a slow speed in a field with no rocks, fl not ca without all ur protective gear? like put urself in my shoes for a second.u step outside, u see buzzards milling around 600 yards away up on the hill and u need to go inspect and ur wheel is right there, u don’t want walk bcause u don’t wanna waste time, at ur skill level, would u forego suiting up like a gladiator for that short run through the pasture? and i’ve seen u on sidewalks with nothing on and on a gotway jk. 

I probably shouldn't say this (maybe the safety police aren't following this thread), but I would not be wearing much safety gear in your situation. Every single day I ride one of my wheels to go some place and I have nothing on (clothes yes, I'm not @Sidestreet Reny).

I only pad up when I'm going on a dedicated ride. I'll be going who-knows-where, and cruising fast. I'm fully protected. But when I take a run to the grocery store, between buildings at work, etc., I'm just another pedestrian. But when I'm in those contexts I specifically do not ride fast, and I do realize that I'm taking a risk. But I weigh the odds and I'm comfortable with that risk, even considering that I ride Gotway wheels.

In your situation I probably would throw on a helmet (since I wouldn't care about messing up my hair) since that takes about 10 seconds. But nothing else. 

Everything I just said assumes that you are proficient at riding.

That's my reality. Hope that helps.

24 minutes ago, novazeus said:

<snip>

snowboarding, that’s dangerous. any of that snow stuff, un uh never again. plus it’s cold. that’s just crazy like those runs that topless girl was on. one screw up, hit a tree and ur done.

oh yeah, i forgot, those people i think wore helmets, maybe more protective gear.

Just like Sonny :(

life is too short, y’all should move down here.where @WARPed1701D is in st pete is beautiful this time of year. st pete has done a nice job downtown. tampa is pretty but st pete has the beach and 30 mph gulf blvd for miles and miles. when i step outside to pee, u should see the stars tn. personally, i could be wrong, but i think y’all love the experience of being outdoors and the wheel is that vehicle. 

Takes me about 60 seconds to put on my riding jacket, velcro on my knee pads, and don my wrist guards.  Unless you're a first responder with a 20 girlfriend drowing in the new pool a few blocks away it doesn't require much effort.  I'll zip down to the mailbox every now and then without any gear on, but I'm on a Ninebot One which doesn't go that quickly.  A short trip like that I'm fine with a little risk.  When driving from the mailbox to the house I don't bother buckling up my seatbelt.

We each have to gauge the risk level and our comfort level.  Once you master riding you might feel that no gear is needed for a quick ride out over the pasture.  Sometimes though some habits are well worth routinely following, and often safety gear is one of those things.

BTW I love Florida!  Gorgeous beaches, open space, land of malls!  It's just the hurricanes that I fear... :o

I don't pad up for quick trips to the store or jaunts around the neighborhood but I'm not averse to dealing with a strawberry or two if the worst happens and I'm only tooling around at 10 or 15 kph. The trip to the grocery store I'll do 25 on but i could do that ride in my sleep i know it so well. These are all 2 to 3 mile trips. 

If I'm going to be on the wheel for a while I do knee and wrist pads at a minimum. More than 5 or 6 miles I like pads cause this gets me off my home turf. Off road and rough trails get more, elbow pads and helmet generally. If I'm going to do something stupid, an "I gota try this" kinda thing, I'll add additional padding and scrape prevention.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Takes me about 60 seconds to put on my riding jacket, velcro on my knee pads, and don my wrist guards.  Unless you're a first responder with a 20 girlfriend drowing in the new pool a few blocks away it doesn't require much effort.  I'll zip down to the mailbox every now and then without any gear on, but I'm on a Ninebot One which doesn't go that quickly.  A short trip like that I'm fine with a little risk.  When driving from the mailbox to the house don't bother buckling up my seatbelt.

We each have to gauge the risk level and our comfort level.  Once you master riding you might feel that no gear is needed for a quick ride out over the pasture.  Sometimes though some habits are well worth routinely following, and often safety gear is one of those things.

i’m hoping i never experience a wheel shut down, cut out because that does seem like it would be very awkward. hopefully like one of the moderators was saying, they keep getting better.

You get used to the snow.  Unfortunately there's plenty of hip fracture cases with the slippery sidewalks.  Driving is equally fun sometimes.  It's funny how the weather up here can easily kill you if you are in the wrong place.  Someone got lost in the parks up here, and they still haven't found him last I heard.  He was only wearing light fall clothing.

A change of seasons isn't a bad thing, but yeah some of thr harsh, cold winters are tough to get through.

Most people I see skating on the street roll with their feet parallel which is exceptionally dangerous. Don't do it. Roll with one skate semi-behind the other, and you can do ludicrous stuff like go down flatter steps, through grass.

Honestly, fast inline skates aren't worth the risk since every fast crash is a bruising, and potential broken bone. I prefer to go super slow, stick to skate parks, go up and down steps at the slowest speed you ever saw.

I've got these which are a do it all skate, along with 16 spare wheels of various sizes. I go way slower than that guy.

and there is that psycological thing going on wheen u do get all padded and protected. first time i got hurt on my little dirt bike at 19 years old was the first time i wore my helmet with it’s full face shield. it was so cool, i forgot how fast i was going because i didn’t feel it. the head is the most important tho. gary busey was in a coma from falling off his motorcycle while he was sitting on it parked and hit his head on a curb,. in a coma for a long time.  i cracked my head snowboarding. nobody told this fl boy that not all snow is soft. that’s bullshit. Might take Bob to see snow but that would be the only reason. 

I do wear this nowadays, more for the comfort than for the protection.

Winter is coming so you might as well as get an all in one solution. Open port helmets in this cold require a facemask + eyeglasses/goggles whereas this helmet just requires a scarf.

IMG_20171113_230157.jpg

7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Most people I see skating on the street roll with their feet parallel which is exceptionally dangerous. Don't do it. Roll with one skate semi-behind the other, and you can do ludicrous stuff like go down flatter steps, through grass.

Honestly, fast inline skates aren't worth the risk since every fast crash is a bruising, and potential broken bone. I prefer to go super slow, stick to skate parks, go up and down steps at the slowest speed you ever saw.

I've got these which are a do it all skate, along with 16 spare wheels of various sizes. I go way slower than that guy.

when i skate long distance, and it’s been awhile because i’m really anal about pavement, gently placing one skate down while the other was pushing. very low impact. nice breeze across ur body. perfect exercise. if the whole ranch doesn’t sell and i’m stuck here, i’m gonna reserve the right to pick the asphalt i want on the multi use trails and how it’s finished.  so my race skates are like 5 90 diameter wheels, i forget, but then i thought i’d try these 4 huge wheel skates like 110, didn’t spend enough time on those to like them. the 5 wheel are extremely stable at high speed and u get a lot of push. bont boot, swiss ceramic bearings. i liked like 78 durometer. i’d got thru some wheels. spend hours in front of the tv cleaning bearings, rotating wheels.

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I do wear this nowadays, more for the comfort than for the protection.

Winter is coming so you might as well as get an all in one solution. Open port helmets in this cold require a facemask + eyeglasses/goggles whereas this helmet just requires a scarf.

IMG_20171113_230157.jpg

i got a bunch of these arais. this one was my favorite. jolly roger, being from tampa and all.

37BC839F-8FEC-45E7-B9B3-F952AA089B70.jpeg

441D8DF4-AA91-456F-9D11-7F41DB8778F7.jpeg

This probably belongs in another thread, but as @novazeus is branching out into Kiwano territory in order to relieve his foot pain, I thought he and others might find this interesting...

Blizwheel e-skates is trying to compete with electric unicycles (and others) as "the smallest way to get around". I found a graphic from one of their crowdfunding campaigns where they appear to show EUCs as their biggest (or at least bigger) competition.

blizwheel.jpg.5ea3d4c5605d3e1800c928e43e33770b.jpg

Note: I guess this classifies as 'Off Topic' as opposed to 'Two-Wheeled Self-Balancing PEVs'.
(They're not self-balancing, they're remote controlled and have many wheels for balance like e-skateboards.)

23 hours ago, RayRay said:

This probably belongs in another thread, but as @novazeus is branching out into Kiwano territory in order to relieve his foot pain, I thought he and others might find this interesting...

Blizwheel e-skates is trying to compete with electric unicycles (and others) as "the smallest way to get around". I found a graphic from one of their crowdfunding campaigns where they appear to show EUCs as their biggest (or at least bigger) competition.

blizwheel.jpg.5ea3d4c5605d3e1800c928e43e33770b.jpg

Note: I guess this classifies as 'Off Topic' as opposed to 'Two-Wheeled Self-Balancing PEVs'.
(They're not self-balancing, they're remote controlled and have many wheels for balance like e-skateboards.)

those are pretty cool. i had found electric powered roller skates but i had envisioned something like this in my mind. 

yeah the hard plastic on the 9bot was no bueno but just by mildly doing a pigeon toed stance is just enough for good control and gets my bony ankles off that hard plastic. 

i could see these much more acceptable for sidewalk use. it’s not likely they could get loose and hurt another pedestrian. eucs can’t guarantee that.  

@RayRay u don’t happen to work at hula bay do u? my friend Ana said there were a couple of euc riders there.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:45 PM, novazeus said:

@RayRay u don’t happen to work at hula bay do u? my friend Ana said there were a couple of euc riders there.

I mostly commute North of the airport where I live/work, but I'm thinking of riding the Upper Tampa Bay Trail...

(Courtney-Campbell and vicinity would be a nice ride, but my new wheel has less range than my previous one did.)

Archived