Jump to content

Speed up!


Imarconi
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

It’s been a week since I got my first EUC (Tesla) and it’s been an amazing one!

I can say that I’m doing pretty good, I can ride at walking speed (beside my girlfriend), I can ride for long distances in the city, going up and down sidewalks, pedestrians paths, go with the traffic, etc.

So far my top speed has been 35km/h and I won’t try to go faster until I get myself a proper helmet.

For you the ones who are used to ride at high speeds, do you have any special technique to keep the wheel steady? Do you press the top of the wheel with your knees or so you bend your knees to have more suspension? 

Tips tips tips! :D

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Imarconi said:

Hi everyone!

It’s been a week since I got my first EUC (Tesla) and it’s been an amazing one!

I can say that I’m doing pretty good, I can ride at walking speed (beside my girlfriend), I can ride for long distances in the city, going up and down sidewalks, pedestrians paths, go with the traffic, etc.

So far my top speed has been 35km/h and I won’t try to go faster until I get myself a proper helmet.

For you the ones who are used to ride at high speeds, do you have any special technique to keep the wheel steady? Do you press the top of the wheel with your knees or so you bend your knees to have more suspension? 

Tips tips tips! :D

 

 

Honestly: (following goes for max 18inch wheels!)

I dont think anyone is going faster than 35kmh (or maybe 38,40) for longer than a few seconds....its more an experiment to test your wheels abilities. The wind resistance gets crazy, unknown bumps can throw you off, and its not a comfortable riding speed anymore. (whatever protections you wear)

 

If some people now say otherwise...i really would like to see some reliable logs from wheelog or other logging apps, which prove that. Never ever seen someone using a speed above the mentioned as a longtime „crusing speed“

 

So my answer would be: No special drive technique needed, that are just no euc speeds...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

 

Honestly: (following goes for max 18inch wheels!)

I dont think anyone is going faster than 35kmh (or maybe 38,40) for longer than a few seconds....its more an experiment to test your wheels abilities. The wind resistance gets crazy, unknown bumps can throw you off, and its not a comfortable riding speed anymore. (whatever protections you wear)

 

If some people now say otherwise...i really would like to see some reliable logs from wheelog or other logging apps, which prove that. Never ever seen someone using a speed above the mentioned as a longtime „crusing speed“

 

So my answer would be: No special drive technique needed, that are just no euc speeds...

What you said seems  very reasonable, but tips from more experienced people it’s always good to have ?

 

thanks! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting question.

There's the hook your heels into the wheel, making hard contact with the top of the wheel to your legs so the whole lower body and wheel make a rigid unit, and there's the let the wheel float between your legs with just the feet touching.

The big problem with floating the wheel is that when you launch into the air you then land with feet in a different position, but the rigid wheel stance is kinda hard for fine control at slow speeds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I totally agree with @KingSong69. When I'm riding fast it's usually between 28km/h and 32km/h. Sure, every once in awhile I'll go between 32km/h and 40km/h, but only for short periods of time. Lots of wind resistance and it just doesn't feel safe.

But I wouldn't mind a wheel that could go 55+km/h, but only for the added safety margin. I would never actually ride that fast.

Yip, thats the nice part of 50-55kmh wheels! That you have more reserves at 35kmh....and also dont have to think about doing that speed on a -moderate- hill!

Its such a different to drive 30kmh on a 30kmh tiltback wheel or a 50kmh wheel! Much more secure!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When turning left I straighten my left leg and slightly bend my right knee.

The machine will tilt to the left.

When turning right I straighten my right leg and slightly bend my left knee.

The machine will tilt to the right.

At higher speeds, a left turn will lean left and lock your right leg against the machine to take the pressure.

Opposite for a right turn.

I also recommend having your ankles in contact with the machine for more control.

Edited by Steven D Wheeler
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@yourtoys7 rides at a pretty fast clip.  Maybe he can tell us what his average riding speed typically is or show a speed log.

Edit:  Looks to be 30 kph with high blips of 49 kph so well under 35 kph average.  30 kph is still quite a fast average.

 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I regularly averaged above 28km/h on my suburban trips in the summer, but the grounds are now covered with wet leaves so my average dropped to well below 18km/h. One of my regular trips has several long (over 1 km) straights that I ride at the beginning of the tiltback on my KS-16S, ie. 34km/h. Not on a windy day sure, but even on light winds my shock absorbing 16S is pretty stable at full speed.

I always wear full protection when I ride: padded motorcycle jacket and pants, wrist supports and a (bicycle) helmet.

The position for me is knees bent a bit for suspension, and I have my feet so that I have good contact at the front of the pedals. Not tip-toeing, my heels and toes are both firmly down. The point is that if a bump or softer dirt is about to slow the wheel down, I have immediate pressure at the front of the pedals to accelerate the wheel to a breaking position and not fall over.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Imarconi said:

I got a skateboard style helmet a couple of hs ago and my average speed already went up.

the psychological side of safety...:lol:

Wait until you get a full face helmet, you'll go even faster.

I got a full-face after my last crash, a rider induced top speed faceplant at 16-19 mph, I came so close to knocking my teeth or breaking my nose, and just barely managed to roll out of it.

I don't even want to think what a 21+ mph crash feels like, somehow I've managed to convince myself it won't happen but of course that's sheer delusion nonsense.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Wait until you get a full face helmet, you'll go even faster.

I got a full-face after my last crash, a rider induced top speed faceplant at 16-19 mph, I came so close to knocking my teeth or breaking my nose, and just barely managed to roll out of it.

I don't even want to think what a 21+ mph crash feels like, somehow I've managed to convince myself it won't happen but of course that's sheer delusion nonsense.

Totally agree, I actually didn’t get a full face one now cause I haven’t found the right one yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On my Tesla I run my feet wide in the front and narrow in the back.  Toes even with the front of the wheel.  I try to not touch the wheel to much with the side of my legs or it gets into an uncontrollable wobble(tight squeeze).  Full gear and let it eat,  45 km/h cruise speed feels perfectly stable.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2017 at 4:47 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@yourtoys7 rides at a pretty fast clip.  Maybe he can tell us what his average riding speed typically is or show a speed log.

Edit:  Looks to be 30 kph with high blips of 49 kph so well under 35 kph average.  30 kph is still quite a fast average.

 

From couple logs that I have uploaded, speed drops not because I slow  down but more stooping at red lights. I generally ride fast, I slow down when people around but for the most part due red lights. I have been watching/ thinking and debating weather I do need full face helmet or not, but after getting full bike jacket I defenatly pushed the wheel. Im trying to ride safe, but I do enjoy speed a lot :) 

Edited by yourtoys7
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

From couple logs that I have uploaded, speed drops not because I slow  down but more stooping at red lights. I generally ride fast, I slow down when people around but for the most part due red lights. I have been watching/ thinking and debating weather I do need full face helmet or not, but after getting full bike jacket I defenatly pushed the wheel. Im trying to ride safe, but I do enjoy speed a lot :) 

Given the speeds you ride I would be inclined to get a full face motorcycle helmet. I think a crash >40kph is beyond the safe limit of a full face bicycle helmet. Even a downhill rated one. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...