3 months with the KS16S...

Circuitmage

...and I'm finding it amazing.

My commute is 2.1 miles to train station, then 0.5 miles to work, so just over 5 miles per day.

I started off about 12 mins to train station, and that is down to just over 8 minutes. With newly installed roads and sidewalks, I think I can get that down to just under 8 mins. which is amazing. About the same time it would take driving or less  (no stopping at lights as I have side routes!).

My 12-15 min walk to work is now about a 3 minute ride, maybe less. That alone saves me more than 20 mins a day.

This morning I had about 10 mins to get to train, and really didn't expect to make it, but yet again it did not let me down. Less than 10 min ride!

I now walk my dog 3 to 5 days a weeks on it, and find myself just going around town for an hour on the weekends putting about 10 miles on it (playing a little ingress, hitting 4 or 5 parks!).

Selling my motorcycle now.

Thanks KS for an amazing machine!

5 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

...and I'm finding it amazing.

My commute is 2.1 miles to train station, then 0.5 miles to work, so just over 5 miles per day.

I started off about 12 mins to train station, and that is down to just over 8 minutes. With newly installed roads and sidewalks, I think I can get that down to just under 8 mins. which is amazing. About the same time it would take driving or less  (no stopping at lights as I have side routes!).

My 12-15 min walk to work is now about a 3 minute ride, maybe less. That alone saves me more than 20 mins a day.

This morning I had about 10 mins to get to train, and really didn't expect to make it, but yet again it did not let me down. Less than 10 min ride!

I now walk my dog 3 to 5 days a weeks on it, and find myself just going around town for an hour on the weekends putting about 10 miles on it (playing a little ingress, hitting 4 or 5 parks!).

Selling my motorcycle now.

Thanks KS for an amazing machine!

From one Texan to another.. 
Dont you just love it when we whoosh by some people at the local park and they have that WTF looks on their faces ? 
Just the other day I whizzed by in front of a house and a kid was yelling at his mother pointing at me... 
"Mom... there it is..LOOK... What I was telling you about.. "
I had to chuckle ... 

Love my 18S 

Yeah, save for last night. I was walking my dog again and not paying attention, so had my worst spill yet. Still my fault for not paying attention, but it is a little more tricky trying to walk your dog!

I had just passed a neighbor that was commenting on my EUC..."How neat...", or something like that. Plus I was carry a bag of dog doo in one hand, AND was going by the only house in our neighborhood that drives my dog crazy.  She took off like crazy and I was not holding my usual loose grip on her leash. So, the combination of 3 things going on was a lot to keep track of.

She pulled my right down to the ground.

I was wearing my usual gear, so no cuts, scrapes or even bruises, but my knee is very sore from the impact. I either impacted it, or twisted it, not sure which. It happened really fast and took several hours to start hurting.  Hopefully heals in the next week as I am unable to ride like this and making it difficult to sleep at night. It does not appear swollen, and I can walk on it with a little pain. Any twist and my knee pops a bit.

No pleasure without a little pain.

4 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Get well soon! 

Thats why my dog goes without a leash...i dont know who loves my 18S more....me or my dog :-)

7 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Yeah, save for last night. I was walking my dog again and not paying attention, so had my worst spill yet. Still my fault for not paying attention, but it is a little more tricky trying to walk your dog!

I had just passed a neighbor that was commenting on my EUC..."How neat...", or something like that. Plus I was carry a bag of dog doo in one hand, AND was going by the only house in our neighborhood that drives my dog crazy.  She took off like crazy and I was not holding my usual loose grip on her leash. So, the combination of 3 things going on was a lot to keep track of.

She pulled my right down to the ground.

I was wearing my usual gear, so no cuts, scrapes or even bruises, but my knee is very sore from the impact. I either impacted it, or twisted it, not sure which. It happened really fast and took several hours to start hurting.  Hopefully heals in the next week as I am unable to ride like this and making it difficult to sleep at night. It does not appear swollen, and I can walk on it with a little pain. Any twist and my knee pops a bit.

Dog walking with an EUC probably isn't a good combination. 
Not sure if you are walking him or he is walking you. 

She is usually very good, and I have taken months to warm up to walking/running her. I usually hold the leash loose in case she gets distracted, but most of the time she stays with me, and comes when I call her if she gets away. I have also gotten used to pulling her the other direction if she gets distracted.

I don't know why I was holding onto her so tightly, so really my fault. But the benefit of running her outweighs the risk, for me. It will be a few days before I run her again. I already feel my knee getting a bit better, and this walking stuff is for the.....walkers. So, I am looking forward to getting back on asap.

Holding a leash loosely? To what end? So you can let go if there is an issue? If so then doesn't that defeat the point of a leash? Especially if the distraction is on the otherside of a street on which a car is driving. The dog pays the price.

I love dogs and EUC's and see potential to use both together for fun but really don't feel the two mix in an urban setting where a leash is required. I've seen dogs badly hurt when skateboarders/cyclists/rollerbladers moving at speed with their dogs go on opposing sides of a lamp post/trash can/bench because the dog saw another dog or a squirrel of to the side. Neither can stop before the leash runs out and the dog ends up being yanked backwards with force (usually by a thin collar) by the mass of their master. Of course you can let go of the leash and now the dog is loose to chase the squirrel of maybe get into a fight.

Yes. I always try and let go in any uncertain situation. In this case, I did not, which is exactly what caused the accident. Also, she was not hurt in this incident...she didn't even notice me hit the ground as she was busy barking at the dogs at the fence. I would say that if she was any bit smaller, the EUC would be a safety concern for taking her out. And, if she was any bit larger, she would be too much to handle. Having a mid to large size dog seems to fit her well.

She is a breed that needs to run...and I am not a runner. 

As for the leash, I live in an area that "requires" leashes and I have seen the police even ticket people with little 5 lb dogs without leashes. Seems to be quite a business of picking up strays as they charge a bit to get them out of the pound. I generally take her to the park to a non-leash area and let her run around a bit. And a 1-2 mile run is all she can handle.

Erm, OK. It just my opinion, through which I do not mean to offend, but might I suggest that a leash that you let go of when your dog tries to stray from your side is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. A leash is to keep the dog constrained and under control. You are letting go of it when you need it the most. Essentially your dog is as good as off-leash in all but looks (I guess it avoids those big fines). For your dog's safety, and that of other dogs and other people I ask you to consider the wisdom of doing this. If you want to walk your dog on your EUC then you should be prepared to eat it (as you have already experienced) when the dog pulls by keeping hold of the leash.

I'll go now.

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Erm, OK. It just my opinion, through which I do not mean to offend, but might I suggest that a leash that you let go of when your dog tries to stray from your side is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. A leash is to keep the dog constrained and under control. You are letting go of it when you need it the most. Essentially your dog is as good as off-leash in all but looks (I guess it avoids those big fines). For your dog's safety, and that of other dogs and other people I ask you to consider the wisdom of doing this. If you want to walk your dog on your EUC then you should be prepared to eat it (as you have already experienced) when the dog pulls by keeping hold of the leash.

I'll go now.

What about simply tying the end of the leash to the wheel but taking up the slack?

That way, one always has the last-gasp option of dumping the wheel once all control has been lost. It's like a safety leash except strapped to your dog.

Any jerking on the dog's part will cause you to lose balance very easily.
You are not holding onto the leash with both hands.. you will be pulled on either right or left side. 
And if you are doing even 10 mph.. That's gonna be a face plant.

It doesnt take much to fall off an EUC. 
Walking a dog with an EUC  is a bad idea. 

I used to "walk" my great pyranese with a bicycle.. 
Even with 2 wheels..I went right into a ditch as soon as he takes off running. 

11 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Speaking of dogs, am I the only one that gets annoyed when dumpy white middle-aged women bring their undisciplined "service dogs" into restaurants?

And the airport. And the grocery store... And the everywhere!!! 

It's the ones with the shitty little dogs that don't behave themselves, I'm like "This ain't a trained support animal, he's licking the grapes for fucks sake!"

I used to think that way, until I had a dog. Most of my life I have been a "cat" person, but this dog is great.

Finding businesses that accept dogs is awesome now. Plus, some places even give dogs treats...Lowes hardware...Diary Queen, lots of drive though food places....But now she expects to get fed everytime we go though a drive through. LOL

Yeah....tying her leash to the EUC would be a very bad idea.

LOL. Anchor?

I was able to get back on (and walk her) after 2 days. Now 8 days past injury and still some pain. It will be weeks to full recovery, but at least I can walk and ride.

My 2nd fall and 2nd time knee pads helped! +2 for knee pads!

5 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

LOL. Anchor?

I was able to get back on (and walk her) after 2 days. Now 8 days past injury and still some pain. It will be weeks to full recovery, but at least I can walk and ride.

My 2nd fall and 2nd time knee pads helped! +2 for knee pads!

yeah a little mushroom anchor. i’d probably need that and a ten foot lead to exercise my dog at 150 pounds. not that the anchor would stop him but should make him easier to catch.

i did some work in austin doing site acquisition for phone towers like 2000 to 2002. i didn’t even know austin had a commuter train. tampa needs to step up their game.

Oh yeah, kinda new...the rail train has been in place for a few years, and really getting busy now. They have it running every 30 mins, and next year supposed to be every 15 mins or something. Gets very crowded during rush hour. If you don't get a seat you will be rubbing up next to people. Usually not a very appealing opportunity. The EUC ensures I can beat the crowd and get a seat!

150# dog? I can't imagine walking that on an EUC.

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

for real a little puppy like these would be a problem? congrats on ur train. i gotta try and revive that idea in tampa. 

B771405B-FECC-4497-B04B-1B163F99B146.png

C27D8028-515E-4CCB-A7C4-E5ECEB110B07.jpeg

WOW :shock2:

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

Bob’s not that big yet. he turned one year old 10-8-2016. they don’t fully mature until 4 years. 

Are you maybe 5'3"? I'm not sure that I've ever seen a dog that big before. Must be a nice companion, but I bet he gets his way :)

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Are you maybe 5'3"? I'm not sure that I've ever seen a dog that big before. Must be a nice companion, but I bet he gets his way

no that’s not me, i’m 6 feet and shrinking. anatolian shepherds and kangal dogs come from turkey. sb a lot of them in california. they are livestock guard animals. they protect the sheepherders and their flock from wolves and other big cats in their native country. they are also being used in africa to keep the cheetahs away from the farmer’s herds so the farmers don’t shoot the cheetahs.

Archived