rojieh

Hi, I'm interested in buying the Ninebot One E+, but some online reviewers complain about the handle being defective and breaking. Does anyone in the forum have this experience? Is this a defect that they have now fixed?

Hi, I'm interested in buying the Ninebot One E+, but some online reviewers complain about the handle being defective and breaking. Does anyone in the forum have this experience? Is this a defect that they have now fixed?

During the first (and roughest) 11 days of my training I had a dog leash attached to my handle to keep the 9B1 from rolling away after an unplanned step-off and in my case it didn't do any damage.  YMMV.

Hi @rojieh, I bought my Ninebot One E+ about two months ago and it came in a bundle together with the trolley handle. Since then, I am using it extensively without a problem. Ride in front of a building, pull the handle, pushing it inside all the way and reverse that once I am out again. However, I do leave the euc switched on when I am using the handle. It is more comfortable and quite frankly, I do it, to reduce the pressure on the point of the handle where it is fixed to the accessory holder. That connection seems to be a bit in distress when I do push the switched off euc around. The only downside pushing a switched on euc around is, that the average speed, displayed on the app, will drop. But this is not really a concern for me.

Hi Noam, thanks for the info. I can see the trolley handle would also be handy since I would not have the lift the unit to carry it around. 

Even though it might seem odd I don't lift my 9B1 by the handle.  I lift it by the foot pedal bracket (that attaches to the motor) and the top of the plastic case.

Hi @rojieh, I got my NB1 E in January and broke the handle during my initial learning phase in Feb. As my learning took quite some time and included numerous involuntary dismounts, I had a rope attached to the handle to prevent it from crashing to the ground an collecting scratches. All of that training happened in an underground garage at very low speed and I don't recall that event when catching the wheel by the rope broke the handle as exceptionally violent. It just snapped off:

IMG20150201200456.thumb.jpg.bb33c3597c9e

While the handle itself looks and feels massive, the inner core which holds it, is a rather thin bolt from cast aluminum. Mind you, my NB1 was from ninebots first production run and they might have improved the design and/or the material in the meantime.

It is not really difficult to replace the handle with a spare part. Essentially you have to open the cover just like you would for changing the tire (you can find instruction videos for that on youtube). Then it's just 3 screws from the inside of the frame which hold that blue base block of the handle.

As I did not really find that handle very practical for carrying the heavy wheel for more that a few meters, I decided not to bother replacing it. Instead, I mounted 2 bolts in a perpendicular way through the wheels frame as anchor points for a belt loop. Picture, you are looking at the wheel from one side like looking on a watch face and the bolts are on the 11 and 1 o'clock positions (close to the on/off switch on one side and the charge connector on the other). The belt is one of those black straps used to secure cargo, its about 2cm wide and 1m long and has a quick release lock to adjust the length. You can get those for a couple of bucks in any DIY market.

This gives me two options: when riding, I move the belt lock all the way down to the wheel, so that the loop is snuggly inside the frame an a single end extends about 60cm for the rider to hold on to. As the wheel is primarily in use as a learner, that helps to keep the wheel from crashing to the ground or spinning off uncontrolled. It's also very helpful to learn jumping up curbs.

For manual transport, I move the lock to the outer end of the belt to form a wide loop. Now I can either wheel it next to me walking (wheel switched on) and guide it with the belt or lift it up and carry it with the belt loop over my shoulder. I find that much more convenient than carrying it by the handle. 

As the bolts and the belt are located inside that U-formed frame and the belt also nicely covers the left over 3 holes from the unmounted handle base, it does not look as bad as it may sound. Unfortunately, I can't add pictures as the wheel is on loan with a colleague.

I talked to NinebotUS about this, and they say that when it's happened it was usually because of a crash while riding with the handle up, so the recommendation was just to always ride with the handle properly folded in.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Hi @rojieh, I got my NB1 E in January and broke the handle during my initial learning phase in Feb. As my learning took quite some time and included numerous involuntary dismounts, I had a rope attached to the handle to prevent it from crashing to the ground an collecting scratches. All of that training happened in an underground garage at very low speed and I don't recall that event when catching the wheel by the rope broke the handle as exceptionally violent. It just snapped off.

I wonder if you could attach a training rope elsewhere on the Ninebot to avoid this problem? There are screw holes for mounting things like lights. Perhaps these could be used to hold a tether during learning?

Thanks, this is very helpful.

I wonder if you could attach a training rope elsewhere on the Ninebot to avoid this problem? There are screw holes for mounting things like lights. Perhaps these could be used to hold a tether during learning?

I used those holes....   As described in a post in this thread:

Ninebot One E had a problem with the handle breaking.  Ninebot One E+ has a redesigned handle.   People with the problem said it came when applying too much lateral force on the handle of the E.   I haven't heard of any problems with the E+ handle design - though I still treat mine with care.  

Even though it might seem odd I don't lift my 9B1 by the handle.  I lift it by the foot pedal bracket (that attaches to the motor) and the top of the plastic case.

Me, too.  Well, I do lift by the handle to carry a short distance, but when loading it into the trunk of my car, I lift by the frame as you said. 

I wish for a broken handle... Three days ago, I wrote to my reseller to tell him how it would be appropriate to give to the buyers a "half a day seminar" in order to accelerate the appropriate use of the vehicle. The day after, I received the infamous answer : -" Yeah, Yeah, we're thinking about it"... So, such an... amigo!! I'm looking for a way to sue his company... I'm a lawyer and would charge myself big money to do so !!!!

:D

Bleu9mm

I wish for a broken handle... Three days ago, I wrote to my reseller to tell him how it would be appropriate to give to the buyers a "half a day seminar" in order to accelerate the appropriate use of the vehicle. The day after, I received the infamous answer : -" Yeah, Yeah, we're thinking about it"... So, such an... amigo!! I'm looking for a way to sue his company... I'm a lawyer and would charge myself big money to do so !!!!

:D

Bleu9mm

I knew there was a reason that I didn't really like you.  :P

@bleu9mm, just visit them with your wheel and continue your training right there in the shop. When half of their decoration has been shredded by your desperate attempts to hold on to something, they might reconsider their service portfolio :ph34r:

Did I hear a tempting buyers offer for my broken handle between the lines???

For me, it's even worst. I'm a public prosecutor before the juvenile court... Imagine !!!

:o

Bleu9mm

That is terrible!  What will you do for an encore?  No smilie face for that!

Archived