It's Good to Have a Plan B

radial

1 hour ago, Catlord17 said:

I have been wanting to slime my wheel's tire, but I am still a little worried about the "it's only good for two years" thing... what then?

But after riding through broken glass tonight (apparently someone decided that there wasn't already enough on the sidewalk, so they broke a large bottle, which I didn't see because the headlight on the V3s+ is so powerful blindingly powerful - I actually heard myself go through it the way there and only saw it on the way back because I had my flashlight in hand...) I have concluded that with people this stupid in PSL, I need a portable pump and slime at least with me...

I'd like to use it prophylactically ( :lol: ) if possible, but what happens after 2 years?  Do I need to replace the tube?

If you read the FAQ on Slime's website you'll learn that you can add fresh slime, or as they suggest, after 2 years you will probably be ready for a new tube anyway. Certainly there is no harm after two years; potentially just a very thin semi-dried layer of gunk. Add 4 more ounces (which is not a lot when spread over the surface area of an 18 inch tube). That's what I'll be doing.

33 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

The Slime is only guaranteed for two years. I have 1200 miles on my V8 in 1 month and one week. By the end of two years I will probably have around 6000-12,000 miles which is just about all these tires will do. So you may want to when you change the tire anyway. 

I totally hate why people need to break bottles all around bike trails at the river, along sidewalks next to busy streets also strewn with glass. What is their fear of smooth shaped glass all about anyway?! :furious: rode over a broken Heineken bottle the other day, heard the crunch and fortunately no damage... Yet...

Man, you're really putting on the miles :D

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you read the FAQ on Slime's website you'll learn that you can add fresh slime, or as they suggest, after 2 years you will probably be ready for a new tube anyway. Certainly there is no harm after two years; potentially just a very thin semi-dried layer of gunk. Add 4 more ounces (which is not a lot when spread over the surface area of an 18 inch tube). That's what I'll be doing.

Guess I'm sliming the tire then... the bike shop recommended against it because it makes a mess.  Just kind of confused why they would do that.

Just now, Catlord17 said:

Guess I'm sliming the tire then... the bike shop recommended against it because it makes a mess.  Just kind of confused why they would do that.

Makes a mess??? Maybe if you take a knife and slice open your tube you'll have a mess. But otherwise I can't imagine what they are referring to.

4 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

Maybe because these kind of products affect their tire sales? :innocent1:

3 minutes ago, z3n said:

Maybe because these kind of products affect their tire sales? :innocent1:

I will say that I was surprised at how much they didn't like the idea I came up with for not having to get my girlfriend's bike a new tire tube every two weeks when she was riding it 10 miles each direction to and from work for a while there - which was solid inner tubes.  So maybe you have a point.

I've always been cautious of sliming my tyre because I thought it must be difficult to get the valve apart when it's bent over alongside the rim on my V8. Even putting air in the tyre is fiddly as heck.  Im not clear as to exactly how the valve comes apart either. Do you guys apply it with the side shells etc in situ or do you have to partly disassemble the machine to get enough working room?

edit: there appear to be various different types of slime avalible, which one do you guys use?

24 minutes ago, nute said:

I've always been cautious of sliming my tyre because I thought it must be difficult to get the valve apart when it's bent over alongside the rim on my V8. Even putting air in the tyre is fiddly as heck.  Im not clear as to exactly how the valve comes apart either. Do you guys apply it with the side shells etc in situ or do you have to partly disassemble the machine to get enough working room?

edit: there appear to be various different types of slime avalible, which one do you guys use?

I have a new video that shows how to slime an EUC wheel. I'll try and post it here tomorrow. Buy the Slime for tube tires. I've posted links multiple times in the forum. Do a search here for Slime & Amazon

56 minutes ago, nute said:

It's extremely easy. You have a valve removal tool included in the cap of the bottle. Just deflate the tire and remove the inside of the valve with the tool (plug it in the valve and screw it out, it really is easy). Then you have a nice big hole through which you can let your gunk flow in (ok, this sounds wrong ....). Once you put in the right amount just screw the inside of the valve back. 

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

It's extremely easy. You have a valve removal tool included in the cap of the bottle. Just deflate the tire and remove the inside of the valve with the tool (plug it in the valve and screw it out, it really is easy). Then you have a nice big hole through which you can let your gunk flow in (ok, this sounds wrong ....). Once you put in the right amount just screw the inside of the valve back. 

Totally agree, it's a simple procedure on the V8.  As mentioned upthread, I Slimed my V8 just a couple of days ago.  There was plenty of clearance on the V8 to do this without removing the outer shell.  Putting air in the V8 is a bit fiddly.  But remember, when you are adding Slime, the tire is completely deflated.  In that state, it's easy to pull the valve stem away from the rim a bit to give yourself more room to work.  You'll have no trouble with this.

9 hours ago, nute said:

Here's the video I promised

Plan B

So...I thought my destination was a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts. Arrived about 9:45 pm , counting on a charge for the ride back at night. It closed at 10pm. Recharge said 8.5 miles but half way back I was out of power. Uber to the rescue!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KMjkPTQ78zNyE5FHM1zTor_Cjpc&usp=sharing

I was carrying a battery powered 'Raspberry Pi' running 'Foxtrot GPS' to make a track of my route from an attached USB GPS device (BU 353). I used the edited gpx track to show my ride to Dunkin by importing to a My Google Maps at the link above.

Android GPS tracks are much easier to use than RPi but the RPi + GPS does work , creating a track.

Well, the slime arrived along with a thingy for removing the inside of the valve (as the one which comes with the bottle is rather wide and difficult to use). Got it apart, got the slime in, only got a moderate amount on the work bench ... and a little in my hair (not sure how that happened). All back together and works like a charm. 

In a fit of enthusiasm ive now even bought some to go in the tyres of my lawn mower as they are constantly getting flats. 

Thanks all for your help and advice, really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, nute said:

Well, the slime arrived along with a thingy for removing the inside of the valve (as the one which comes with the bottle is rather wide and difficult to use). Got it apart, got the slime in, only got a moderate amount on the work bench ... and a little in my hair (not sure how that happened). All back together and works like a charm. 

In a fit of enthusiasm ive now even bought some to go in the tyres of my lawn mower as they are constantly getting flats. 

Thanks all for your help and advice, really appreciate it.

Very funny :lol:, and glad the operation was a success :)

Archived