Keep a spare Fuse near your fuseholder!

Stan Onymous

Some of you in So Cal may remember when @Marty Backe sold me his KS14C just before the fuse blew. Fortunately I was only a mile or two away from my spare wheel then, and not 8-9 miles like other mishaps. Wait!:cry2: what if you are 6,7,8 miles away from help and you have a blown fuse?

Thats what I was thinking, so I bought a pack of 25 fast acting 40amp mini blade fuses, took one out for the blown fuse and taped two fuses to the inside of the battery compartment as shown below. ? If anyone needs a few fuses 40amp, let me know. I still got 23. Wait, 21 after I tape two more in the 500w kingsong too.

EDIT- the fuses are that cellophane fuzzy thing just to the right of the single fuse just above the beige battery connector.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Some of you in So Cal may remember when @Marty Backe sold me his KS14C just before the fuse blew. Fortunately I was only a mile or two away from my spare wheel then, and not 8-9 miles like other mishaps. Wait!:cry2: what if you are 6,7,8 miles away from help and you have a blown fuse?

Thats what I was thinking, so I bought a pack of 25 fast acting 40amp mini blade fuses, took one out for the blown fuse and taped two fuses to the inside of the battery compartment as shown below. ? If anyone needs a few fuses 40amp, let me know. I still got 23. Wait, 21 after I tape two more in the 500w kingsong too.

EDIT- the fuses are that cellophane fuzzy thing just to the right of the single fuse just above the beige battery connector.

image.jpeg

I'll have to compare those to what's in my 14S. I was impressed that KingSong provides an extra fuse plus a fuse extractor tool. And the fuse is right next to the USB port so no opening of the shell required :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll have to compare those to what's in my 14S. I was impressed that KingSong provides an extra fuse plus a fuse extractor tool. And the fuse is right next to the USB port so no opening of the shell required :thumbup:

No opening of the she'll required unless your spare fuses are taped inside with the battery you mean! :)

That would require you to carry a screwdriver and risk losing the screws at the side of the track Stan Onymous! 

15 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

No opening of the she'll required unless your spare fuses are taped inside with the battery you mean! :)

That would require you to carry a screwdriver and risk losing the screws at the side of the track Stan Onymous! 

Well to be fair, you have to open the 14C to gain access to the fuse. Providing external access to the fuses must be a fairly new feature of the KingSong wheels.

So I have to ask what the reasoning is behind making the fuse accessible from outside?

Has there been a lot of blown fuses?

I've never had a blown fuse on any of my eucs, despite living near the top of an 18° hill and weighing in at 95kg, probably closer to 100kg when dressed.

I've seen first hand the KS14C fuse blow on two separate wheels. Ruined the ride for that day (not my wheels). And of course I've read about them blowing on other wheels.

In both cases if a replacement fuse could have been plugged in that would have saved hours on both days (lots of walking :().

I've talked about this in the past - I don't like the fact that the wheel has a fuse. I really think that the hardware could be designed such that a fuse would not be necessary, but the design would be more complicated.

5 hours ago, Gimlet said:

So I have to ask what the reasoning is behind making the fuse accessible from outside?

I've never had a blown fuse on any of my eucs, despite living near the top of an 18° hill and weighing in at 95kg, probably closer to 100kg when dressed.

Well, you've probably never bought a Used EUC from @Marty Backe :laughbounce2: sorry Marty. 

Fuses can blow when you lose it in sand. The combo of high torque and then free spinning wheel can blow them.

Like cars, its good to have them accessible even if its just a wiper fuse, which I have never had blown or changed.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Well to be fair, you have to open the 14C to gain access to the fuse. Providing external access to the fuses must be a fairly new feature of the KingSong wheels.

Yip, external Access is only the case for the 14d/s.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've seen first hand the KS14C fuse blow on two separate wheels. Ruined the ride for that day (not my wheels). And of course I've read about them blowing on other wheels.

On the 14C the fuse was on a wire between Battery and board...sitting in the side case.

Nowadays the fuses are on the board(16/18) or even on an "extra" part"(14d/s) to have Access to them. To the blowing of them...read on ;-)

6 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Yes there has been some cases with the old batteryfuse on the 14C, and some newtype fuses of a "bad" boardversion of first KS16.

Nowadays, as the fuses are protecting the battery AND the Motherboard, they are not meant to blow anymore. When your Fuse blows (today) on a KS you should very careful lookout for another failure also!!! These fuses are only meant as protection for not destroying board or battery! Means IF they blow...something has gone so wrong, that it's better to blow the fuse, than the board....

There can be cases of extrem...very extrem overloading, that you still get the fuse to blow like:

48 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Fuses can blow when you lose it in sand. The combo of high torque and then free spinning wheel can blow them.

..or pushing the wheel Forward when it is clamped somewhere so that the tire can't move at all.  (typical mosfet blow Scenario)

I personnaly like that Fusething more, than that the board/mosfets blows!

Sure, a type of supersafe boarddesign, where -whatever stupid you do or whatever happens - and it does not come to fuse blow or boarddestruction, would be the absolut best! But i dont know if thats possible at all :-)

1 hour ago, Gimlet said:

Trouble with putting it on the outside of the case is that it's then in more danger of suffering fom water damage!

Aaah, no. It is pretty good protected sitting inside the Shell, under a riggid rubber cap.

Even when you open the rubber cap it is very hard to reach, and only the end plastic part of the fuse is viewable.

A good Show of what the fuse (and the mosfets) on the new KS are capable:

(please no extra diskussion that this guy is lightweight :-) .....he is kicking! against the wheel, so that shouldn't be weight related stress)

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip, external Access is only the case for the 14d/s.

On the 14C the fuse was on a wire between Battery and board...sitting in the side case.

Nowadays the fuses are on the board(16/18) or even on an "extra" part"(14d/s) to have Access to them. To the blowing of them...read on ;-)

Yes there has been some cases with the old batteryfuse on the 14C, and some newtype fuses of a "bad" boardversion of first KS16.

Nowadays, as the fuses are protecting the battery AND the Motherboard, they are not meant to blow anymore. When your Fuse blows (today) on a KS you should very careful lookout for another failure also!!! These fuses are only meant as protection for not destroying board or battery! Means IF they blow...something has gone so wrong, that it's better to blow the fuse, than the board....

There can be cases of extrem...very extrem overloading, that you still get the fuse to blow like:

..or pushing the wheel Forward when it is clamped somewhere so that the tire can't move at all.  (typical mosfet blow Scenario)

I personnaly like that Fusething more, than that the board/mosfets blows!

Sure, a type of supersafe boarddesign, where -whatever stupid you do or whatever happens - and it does not come to fuse blow or boarddestruction, would be the absolut best! But i dont know if thats possible at all :-)

Very interesting read @KingSong69.

Why did KingSong only mount the fuse externally on the 14D/S and not the 16/18?  Any ideas?

42 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very interesting read @KingSong69.

Why did KingSong only mount the fuse externally on the 14D/S and not the 16/18?  Any ideas?

The 14d/s is a totally new Shell development.....

On the 16s/18s they still used the same old Shell  (3/2016->16b, 2015->18). Guess it was to expensive to design extra new Shells...we will see how it is in the 18L :-)

Because of that for example the 16S is also missing the beloved USB port :-(

13 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

HeyHo...i just now read the first part of this thread :-)

What exactly happend when the fuse blowed? And @Marty Backe...did it blow often?

I Dont want to frighten anyone...but perhaps there is something else fishy? Drawing 40Amps from the Batterie pack is quite a lot and a short Amp spike should blow it neither....

37 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

HeyHo...i just now read the first part of this thread :-)

What exactly happend when the fuse blowed? And @Marty Backe...did it blow often?

I Dont want to frighten anyone...but perhaps there is something else fishy? Drawing 40Amps from the Batterie pack is quite a lot and a short Amp spike should blow it neither....

@Stan Onymous's fuse blew when the wheel dropped (he lost traction in some sandy dirt) and the wheel spun up. He had bought the wheel from me that morning :( I never experienced a blown fuse before.

And on a different 14C, on a different group ride, the fuse blew when someone was going up a steep, muddy hill.

Those are the two occurrences that I've personally witnessed.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Stan Onymous's fuse blew when the wheel dropped (he lost traction in some sandy dirt) and the wheel spun up. He had bought the wheel from me that morning :( I never experienced a blown fuse before.

And on a different 14C, on a different group ride, the fuse blew when someone was going up a steep, muddy hill.

Those are the two occurrences that I've personally witnessed.

Ok, these fuse blow makes totally sense on the 14c (even when its not nice)..  

Thats exact the "emergency" usecase that could otherwise blow mosfets or other board parts!

21 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

You got it @JrKline "Wheel Whisperer . You can have three for .75c. ? And you know I already did replace the old one. Put it in my truck fuse holder.

21 hours ago, JrKline "Wheel Whisperer said:

I loan you my 14C for a group ride.You scratch my 14C while on said group ride.Now you want to charge me for a few fuses.The Wheel Gods have you in their sights.:o

@Marty Backe I believe your diplomatic skills are needed!:)

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe I believe your diplomatic skills are needed!:)

Well, you should remember, that @JrKline "Wheel Whisperer Jinxed my KS14C and called for the fuse to blow before the ride. So the blown fuse is his fault first off

2ndly, you've seen the way he dumps his machines on @YoshiSkySun Cogswell dam footage. It was bound to happen.

3rdly, .50c for all three fuses is way below the buying rate and I am hand delivering them.

? my conscience is clear.

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

Well, you should remember, that @JrKline "Wheel Whisperer Jinxed my KS14C and called for the fuse to blow before the ride. So the blown fuse is his fault first off

Somebody has been spending too much time reading Killary's latest book "What Happened".;) You should know that Putin hacked your wheel with the help of Comey and Comrad Bernie.:o:o:o

Archived