Washington, DC

RichieV

Just in case any of you were inclined to retrace our path on the Georgetown Branch Trail, you should do it this weekend because the trail is going to be closed for several years in order to build the Purple Line. Once it is done there will still be a bike/walk path paralleling the trolley though, so that's something to look forward to!

The Georgetown Branch Trail starts in Bethesda just before that tunnel where the guy fell down in the mud and goes past the fallen tree, mostly forest and dirt/gravel all the way until we got to the residential streets in Silver Spring. Here's a map showing the part that will be closed:

https://www.sourceofthespring.com/georgetown-branch-trail-close-4-5-years-purple-line/

http://dcist.com/2017/09/entire_georgetown_branch_trail_will.php

Edited by dmethvin
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Just in case any of you were inclined to retrace our path on the Georgetown Branch Trail, you should do it this weekend because the trail is going to be closed for several years in order to build the Purple Line.

That's a shame.  I've been running, walking and cycling on the affected parts of the Georgetown Branch trail for the past 25 years.  Goodbye, old friend.  

Based on responses received, I've posted our next ride here for Sun. Oct. 8th... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/242970005/ .  Please RSVP if you are able to join us.  I look forward to seeing you there!

On 8/30/2017 at 5:45 PM, J.T. said:

I've had a crazy busy summer, and haven't had much time to plan any rides for the Meetup group.  But I finally have some breathing room.  I have a busy fall, but looking ahead, I have the following dates available for a ride:

• Sun. Oct. 8th
  • Sat. Oct. 28th
  • Sat. Nov. 11th
  • Sun. Nov. 19th

I know they're far out, but I need to plan ahead.

What dates work / don't work for others?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a friendly reminder for our ride next Sun. Oct. 8th... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/242970005/ .  Don't forget to sign up as I usually post updates and email them out to the yes RSVPs.  If you know of any other riders, please let them know.  I look forward to seeing you there!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the ride this Sunday, FYI, they are currently calling for a possibility of rain.  Should there be a greater than 35% chance of rain, we'll need to reschedule (see the "Rain" section of the event posting for full details).  Make sure to RSVP if you haven't already done so, as I will be posting and emailing out updates to the yes RSVPs... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/242970005/ .  I look forward to seeing you there!

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

For the ride this Sunday, FYI, they are currently calling for a possibility of rain.  Should there be a greater than 35% chance of rain, we'll need to reschedule (see the "Rain" section of the event posting for full details).  Make sure to RSVP if you haven't already done so, as I will be posting and emailing out updates to the yes RSVPs... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/242970005/ .  I look forward to seeing you there!

Will keep an eye out...

• Upvote 1

With an 80% chance of no rain, that was an easy decision.  I'll take those odds every time! =D

19 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

Mr. @J.T. made the right call not to cancel it!

No rain, no sun, no wind. Quite the favourable weather conditions for nice euc ride.

Edited by J.T.
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, EUCMania said:

I see there is DC Bike Party holding riding events almost every month. Has anyone ride EUC with them? 

https://twitter.com/dcbikeparty?lang=en

This looks really interesting. Thanks for the intel!  I have not ridden with them but I think I might try tagging along, hopefully with some of you fellow ewheelers :D  Perhaps we can convert some bicyclists to see the light and join the Church of EUC!  Looks like the next ride is this upcoming Saturday (11 NOV 2017) at 7:30pm starting at Dupont Circle.  Anybody else wanna go?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, RichieV said:

This looks really interesting. Thanks for the intel!  I have not ridden with them but I think I might try tagging along, hopefully with some of you fellow ewheelers :D  Perhaps we can convert some bicyclists to see the light and join the Church of EUC!  Looks like the next ride is this upcoming Saturday (11 NOV 2017) at 7:30pm starting at Dupont Circle.  Anybody else wanna go?

I'm intrigued. Looks like fun.

My girlfriend (whom some of you have met on our rides) is also an avid bike rider.  She has told me that bike riders (in general of course) dislike anything electric.  Would we be welcome to something like this?  Is there someone we can reach out to to ask?  It'd be great if we could, I think it would be a great way to bridge the 2 communities.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

My girlfriend (whom some of you have met on our rides) is also an avid bike rider.  She has told me that bike riders (in general of course) dislike anything electric.  Would we be welcome to something like this?  Is there someone we can reach out to to ask?  It'd be great if we could, I think it would be a great way to bridge the 2 communities.

Many of us have encountered the occasional surly cyclist who gets bent out of shape because we dare to breathe the same air as they do, but I like to think they're the exception and not the rule.  This group seems to be more socially oriented with fun group rides in mind as opposed to high speed low drag conquests of speed and distance, so I figure the casual bike riders will be the majority.

I think that showing up with a friendly attitude and a willingness to make new friends should win the day. If resistance is still encountered,  then I would simply depart and ride elsewhere; it's not like there's a lack of alternate routes, nor would I stick around to impose my presence where I'm not wanted. 

That being said, for this upcoming event it's not the cold attitudes of the bicyclists that have me concerned but the cold temperatures; my tolerance for riding in the cold is pretty low.  I think my chances of attending this one are slim considering the frigid forecast. 

20 hours ago, RichieV said:

..........for this upcoming event it's not the cold attitudes of the bicyclists that have me concerned but the cold temperatures; my tolerance for riding in the cold is pretty low.  I think my chances of attending this one are slim considering the frigid forecast. 

Yeah.... the forecasted temperatures for that evening don't meet my comfort level for euc riding. Taking wind shill from riding speeds into consideration, it will be below 32F (0C). Would need to go decked out in ski gear ?

On 11/16/2017 at 11:52 AM, Rakesh Shah said:

lets ride together in every weekend in Washington dc area...Please let me know..Ph:614-622-7996, Fortwashington, MD

You got any cool routes to share with us?

I ride in the city often, but not in the mornings. I prefer later rides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I need to plan ahead due to my schedule, I'd like to organize a ride in April when the weather starts warming up.  What does or does not work for others?

• Sat. Apr. 7th
  • Sat. Apr. 14th
  • Sun. Apr. 15th

Thank you in advance!

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, J.T. said:

Since I need to plan ahead due to my schedule, I'd like to organize a ride in April when the weather starts warming up.  What does or does not work for others?

• Sat. Apr. 7th
  • Sat. Apr. 14th
  • Sun. Apr. 15th

Thank you in advance!

I'm good for any of those dates as long as the weather agrees.

• Upvote 1