Washington, DC

RichieV

On 9/22/2018 at 8:31 PM, radial said:

Was that you?  

Haven't been there today, but I ride Rock Creek Trail frequently. There are a few riders that use the RCT. I ride all the trails in the DMV when I can: ART, Sligo Creek, CCT, NBT, RCT, BTT, GW, Matthew Henson, MBT, MVT, C&O, Old Dominion, Custis, Hains Point, etc, etc. Love to get on a wheel to go. 

With respect to the fact that it is rare to bump into a random rider anywhere in the country right now; it's less rare in DC than many other places to happen upon a random UFO - I mean, EUC. Happened to me on a few occasions. I, perhaps a bit over-optimistically predict that in 5 years time it won't be rare at all in most places in the country. 

Edited by Lutalo

omewhat off topic, but I was cycling on the Rock Creek bike path today and spotted someone on a EUC.  He was in full regalia, including a full face helmet, and heading north.  Sightings around here are pretty rare, so forgive my enthusiasm.  This is Washington, D.C., not Seattle Washington.  :D  Who was that masked man?

I ride yesterday on Rock Creek with the full gear all black with flasher so it might be me on my Kingsong 18L :D most of the time if i go for a long ride i always in full gear.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yanex87 said:

omewhat off topic, but I was cycling on the Rock Creek bike path today and spotted someone on a EUC.  He was in full regalia, including a full face helmet, and heading north.  Sightings around here are pretty rare, so forgive my enthusiasm.  This is Washington, D.C., not Seattle Washington.  :D  Who was that masked man?

I ride yesterday on Rock Creek with the full gear all black with flasher so it might be me on my Kingsong 18L :D most of the time if i go for a long ride i always in full gear.

??? I figured that it was you @Yanex87, no Velma from Scooby Doo hindsight bias at play here, because @radial's description of the rider matched how you were decked out when we met on the RCP way back when. I was just reluctant to suggest that it may have been you, because obviously it could have been anyone, but as Velma would say: "Just as I suspected." ??

On 9/22/2018 at 11:16 PM, Lutalo said:

Haven't been there today, but I ride Rock Creek Trail frequently. There are a few riders that use the RCT. I ride all the trails in the DMV when I can: ART, Sligo Creek, CCT, NBT, RCT, BTT, GW, Matthew Henson, MBT, MVT, C&O, Old Dominion, Custis, Gains Point, etc, etc. Love to get on a wheel to go. 

With respect to the fact that it is rare to bump into a random rider anywhere in the country right now; it's less rare in DC than many other places to happen upon a random UFO - I mean, EUC. Happened to me on a few occasions. I, perhaps a bit over-optimistically predict that in 5 years time it won't be rare at all in most places in the country. 

@Lutalo, yesterday I was riding my ks16s from Stadium Armory to Silver Spring through Anacostia Riverwalk trail, Northwest Branch trail, Sligo trail. When I switched to Sligo trail, I noticed bike road signs saying "No motor vehicles". Obviously, an EUV is a motor vehicle. Have you had any problems with park police riding your unicycle on the bike roads with signs "No motor vehicles"?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

@Lutalo, yesterday I was riding my ks16s from Stadium Armory to Silver Spring through Anacostia Riverwalk trail, Northwest Branch trail, Sligo trail. When I switched to Sligo trail, I noticed bike road signs saying "No motor vehicles". Obviously, an EUV is a motor vehicle. Have you had any problems with park police riding your unicycle on the bike roads with signs "No motor vehicles"?

No. I have ridden that very same trail route several times. I usually park at Wheaton Mall and ride over to the Sligo Creek trailhead Wheaton down to the NBT, to the ART through Anacostia Park, cross the Douglass Bridge take the West Bank ART back up to Stadium Armory, get on the Subway and go back to Wheaton Metro. Sometimes,  I reverse the route by taking the subway from Wheaton to Stadium armory and starting there. I have never been accosted by the police even when they have seen me. 

How does your 16S do on the brief non-paved portion of the ART? Do you just go around through Mayfair Mansions? I haven't taken that particular route since I got the 18L. I was planning on range testing my wheel on that route. I want to see if the 18L will complete the whole loop with no subway. 

yesterday I was riding my ks16s from Stadium Armory to Silver Spring through Anacostia Riverwalk trail, Northwest Branch trail, Sligo trail. When I switched to Sligo trail, I noticed bike road signs saying "No motor vehicles". Obviously, an EUV is a motor vehicle. Have you had any problems with park police riding your unicycle on the bike roads with signs "No motor vehicles"?

@Ruslan , i always ride in ART and Sligo and never been stop by any of park police.

Edited by Yanex87
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Lutalo, talking about a non-paved stretch of ART you're likely talking about the short stretch between ATR and Northwest Branch trail (NBT). I decided to give it a try and ride it on the trail.  It was okay to ride my ks16s on that short stretch, but there were a couple of spots where I decided to walk the  wheel to just walk around the soggy spots. Not sure if even 18" wheel would have made it through those couple of soggy spots. Other than that I just enjoyed the ride. 

Still a bit concerned about those park police poles with the blinkers  (transition bridge from NBT to Sligo creek trail) and the signs ("No motor vehicles") on my way through ART. 

PS: hope to catch up with you guys one day!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 1:44 PM, Ruslan said:

talking about a non-paved stretch of ART you're likely talking about the short stretch between ATR and Northwest Branch trail (NBT). I decided to give it a try and ride it on the trail.  It was okay to ride my ks16s on that short stretch, but there were a couple of spots where I decided to walk the  wheel to just walk around the soggy spots. Not sure if even 18" wheel would have made it through those couple of soggy spots.

Yeah, exactly. There have been a couple of times when that area was soggy. I just rode the paved streets around Mayfair Mansions and reconnected with the paved portions. 

Still a bit concerned about those park police poles with the blinkers  (transition bridge from NBT to Sligo creek trail) and the signs ("No motor vehicles") on my way through ART. 

EUCs are a gray area. Unless EUC is explicitly defined as a motorized vehicle in local statutes I tend to ignore the signs. I will continue to ignore them until they are enforced. 

Although the first time I took the route in question for the first time back in June, I have been riding the trails around the DMV on my EUC for several years now without being accosted even once on any trail, on any side of the Potomac or Anacostia rivers. I think that I have ridden every major paved trail in the entire DMV at least once; a couple of them I ride weekly. 

Not, saying that being stopped and asked to leave the trail can't happen,  just saying that it probably won't.

I do think I read somewhere on this thread that VA had some explicit wording in the regulations about electric mobility devices that include EUCs, but I don't ride the Vside much. All the trails that I have ridden only once, like Custis, Mt Vernon, and Old Dominion are located over there.

There are some DC riders like @RichieV that probably know much more than me about the do's and don'ts of trail riding on the Vside of this cesspool. DC and MD are definitely cool about EUCs though

PS: hope to catch up with you guys one day!

I think @J.T. is organizing a group ride on October 20th. You can RSVP on the meet-up app.

I should meet-up with you and @Yanex87 since we all seem to ride in the same area frequently, but I am currently without the regular use of a wheel. As a result I ride more sporadically as of late.

I have three KS18 wheels in my household; 2 AYs and one L. One AY is down, my son, a UVA student took the other with him to campus, and my other son, a UMD student, commutes to College Park daily with the 18L; he uses SLIGO and NBT everyday weather permits on his commute, so don't be surprised if you bump into him on the trail one day. You will know if you spot him; tall, Slim, dreadlocked Black Dude, on a black KS 18L. ??

Making plans to purchase the upcoming 18LX and convert my malfunctioning 18AY to an 18S as a swing wheel. Hope to be able to ride more consistently before the winter holidays. In any case you can pm me on this site and we can exchange info to get together for rides. I usually have the 18L on the weekends. 

Edited by Lutalo

I Ride to DC today around 10am to 12 and meet a new Group the "Boosted Riders Of The Greater DC". Shout out to them for being so great friendly nice they ask me to go for a ride with them but sad to say a was not planning to stay late my time was limited i just went for a quick ride around DC and went home straight afterward. Maybe next time guys for the next meet up.:cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yanex87 said:

I Ride to DC today around 10am to 12 and meet a new Group the "Boosted Riders Of The Greater DC". Shout out to them for being so great friendly nice they ask me to go for a ride with them but sad to say a was not planning to stay late my time was limited i just went for a quick ride around DC and went home straight afterward. Maybe next time guys for the next meet up.:cheers:

I did the Capitol Crescent Trail (CCT) today. It's a lovely route, but slow going in some parts because the trail is crowded in Bethesda and Georgetown on Saturdays. 

I recommend the route if you haven't already tried it. 

From the RCT, I connected with the BTT@ Cedar Lane.

West on BTT to Wisconsin Avenue southbound. Note: Sidewalk construction at Medical Center subway station requires using northbound sidewalk to travel south on Wisconsin. 

crossed over to Woodland Ave and continued south to Bethesda Avenue to meet the CCT trailhead. 

Followed CCT into Georgetown. 

Chilled out, consumed food and drink on the waterfront. 

Reversed route. 

Edited by Lutalo

Short notice,  but I plan to hit the CCT today around 3pm; round-trip, Bethesda to Gtown. Nothing fancy, just a relaxed pace to enjoy the beautiful scenery. If anyone wants to join let me know. 

@Lutalo i saw this post earlier when i reach home. but my Ride is already round out of battery maybe next time ill joint you for a ride in CCT or RCT.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yanex87 said:

Short notice,  but I plan to hit the CCT today around 3pm; round-trip, Bethesda to Gtown. Nothing fancy, just a relaxed pace to enjoy the beautiful scenery. If anyone wants to join let me know. 

@Lutalo i saw this post earlier when i reach home. but my Ride is already round out of battery maybe next time ill joint you for a ride in CCT or RCT.

That would be cool. I will give you better notice next time. ??

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, Lutalo said:

I do think I read somewhere on this thread that VA had some explicit wording in the regulations about electric mobility devices that include EUCs, but I don't ride the Vside much. All the trails that I have ridden only once, like Curtis, My Vernon, and Old Dominion are located over there.

There are some DC riders like @RichieV that probably know much more than me about the do's and don'ts of trail riding on the Vside of this cesspool. DC and MD are definitely cool about EUCs though

I can't say I know too much about the legalities myself.  I know that some parts of the trails fall under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service and have different rules (read "no EUCs or anything similar allowed"), but I've never encountered any issues with law enforcement on the trails anywhere in Virginia (or anywhere else) that I've ridden.  I look at it like driving a car just above the speed limit.  Sure it's technically illegal but it's very unlikely you'll be stopped for it.

• Like 1

Recently, twice when I rode on the CnO trail between Gtown and Chain bridge, older men rode bicycle passing me and said no motorized vehicle. I tell them that they had bigger footprints and moving faster. So they are more dangerous. What are they complain about?

When I ride my e-bike, on which I move much faster, When I pass other bikers, I had never heard any complaint. Why?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Recently, twice when I rode on the CnO trail between Gtown and Chain bridge, older men rode bicycle passing me and said no motorized vehicle. I tell them that they had bigger footprints and moving faster. So they are more dangerous. What are they complain about?

When I ride my e-bike, on which I move much faster, When I pass other bikers, I had never heard any complaint. Why?

They are envious and self-righteous indignation is their only defense.

17 hours ago, RichieV said:

I can't say I know too much about the legalities myself.  I know that some parts of the trails fall under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service and have different rules (read "no EUCs or anything similar allowed"), but I've never encountered any issues with law enforcement on the trails anywhere in Virginia (or anywhere else) that I've ridden.  I look at it like driving a car just above the speed limit.  Sure it's technically illegal but it's very unlikely you'll be stopped for it.

True, but if they have signs stating no EUCs so explicitly group rides on those trails could increase the chances of unwanted attention from park police. 

I am wondering now which trails are controlled by the NOVA municipality and which are controlled by the Fed. I will have to do a little research.

Edited by Lutalo

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Everyone recommends nice trails here and there in the DMV area. I recommend 16th street all the way from Silver Spring to downtown DC. Acorns on the sidewalk make a unicycle ride really fun.

Georgia Avenue or 14th St from Silver Spring (SS) to downtown are nice and exciting as well.??

You could round-trip it from SS by going down Georgia until you get to Brightwood. Hook right on Piney Branch follow until it turns into 13th St. Follow 13th to Colorado Ave. Take a right on Colorado and cross over to 14th St. Go south on 14th through Columbia Heights to downtown. 

You could cross over going east from 14th St. to 7th St. on the mall. I go left (north) on 7th until it turns meets Georgia Avenue at Florida Ave intersection. Continue north on Georgia past the Howard U campus and Petworth all the way back up into SS. 

I have done that route many times. Really cool route. Lots of activity. Especially in the summer.??

Edited by Lutalo
  • Upvote 1