Demon Flexmeter - Sizing and Proper Fit

Just looking at the Demon website. Finding a place to buy the damn expensive things is problem #2 for the future:efee8319ab:

Are these gloves the standard Flexmeters with a glove built around it, or is the configuration different? Also, that skid plate seems to be missing from the gloved version (which I'd really like, not for skidding, but for first-impact-protection).

Any info?

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just looking at the Demon website. Finding a place to buy the damn expensive things is problem #2 for the future:efee8319ab:

Are these gloves the standard Flexmeters with a glove built around it, or is the configuration different? Also, that skid plate seems to be missing from the gloved version (which I'd really like, not for skidding, but for first-impact-protection).

Any info?

Double check all of this as I want really looking at the gloves but I recall the Flexmeters come in single and double splint configuration. We all have the double splint setup that sandwiches the wrist. I think the gloves (at least the ones I saw) were single splint design (just below the wrist) but do double check this info. I don't recall about the skid plate though. 

• Upvote 1

Both Flexmeters and "Flexmeter Gloves" come in single-sided and double-sided variant:

https://demonsnow.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=96_109

Maybe I'll just ask about the details via their contact form. But no skid plates to be seen on the gloves (makes sense, they go via "snowboarding" and you don't need those on snow). Looks like I'll have to get both (summer + winter) anyways. Poor wallet...

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Both Flexmeters and "Flexmeter Gloves" come in single-sided and double-sided variant:

https://demonsnow.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=96_109

Maybe I'll just ask about the details via their contact form. But no skid plates to be seen on the gloves (makes sense, they go via "snowboarding" and you don't need those on snow). Looks like I'll have to get both (summer + winter) anyways. Poor wallet...

My guess is you could get a pair of skidplates and attach them yourself if you want. There are like a million and one variants of skidplates for gloves, so someone should be able to sell you loose ones.

And yeah, those things really hurts in the wallet.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scatcat said:

My guess is you could get a pair of skidplates and attach them yourself if you want.

Good idea. Just sew some velcro on the gloves, and use the skid plates from the summer demons on the winter demons. forum.electricunicycle.org - we talk about electric unicycles and occasionally about the occult!

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Good idea. Just sew some velcro on the gloves, and use the skid plates from the summer demons on the winter demons. forum.electricunicycle.org - we talk about electric unicycles and occasionally about the occult!

Yes, that would work!

10 minutes ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

I found mine on Amazon.

Wear any gloves under this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HZ9OYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Skid plates are held with Velcro on these.

$79.00 USD

51Tn7RI+6rL.jpg

BTW, REI has reduced the price again, to $40. Unfortunately they are only available in the Small size.

17 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Today i -finally- received my flexmeters also :-)

Very Nice and sturdy! Hope they dont disintegrate on the textiles like some of my other wrist guards....

Mine are still holding up fine - hopefully yours will too.

You've been receiving lots of goodies this week :thumbup:

• Like 1

Because I use my wheel almost exclusively for commuting I can pretty much guess through mileage how many times I have worn my Flexmeters. It is about 100 times now and they are worn for about 30 minutes each time in the FL sun (bad for textiles). They have been washed once by hand in a sink as they got a bit offensive. All this and so far there is no sign whatsoever of disintegration of the materials. They look like new. Note...no crashes in them either so can't comment of reusablility.

• Like 1

The smaller elastic strap that holds the top brace in place has torn on my right-hand brace so it just flaps around now. The brace still works because the two large velcro straps still keep it mostly in place. I've been debating whether I should wait to sew it back in place or cut it off since it doesn't seem to negatively affect the functionality that much. Still, I love these and I never ride without them.

edit for detail: The strap tore in a fall, not through wear and tear.

Edited by electricpen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I'm 19"width x19"length...not sure if M still good for me (with thin glove underneath). ?

I have no idea what 19"x19" is measuring on you  :confused1: :blink1:

I will say, unless you have very small arms, if you're going to wear gloves underneath these, get the large. Checkout my video if you haven't seen it - it may help you.

5 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Sorry, I have to continually switch between units. 19cmx19cm. thanks.

Sorry I still don't know what those dimenions refer to. Watch my video and then pick your size.

19 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Sorry, I have to continually switch between units. 19cmx19cm. thanks.

20x20 here and large size. Smaller than that wouldn't work for me.

I had another idea, that I'm bouncing around in my head. Finding a cheapo but reasonably good pair of MC-gloves with knuckle protection and palm-padding, then getting a one sided pair of flexmeters and then bonding them together... Finding a skid-pad to add to it won't be too hard.

So the best of two worlds: The overextension protection from the flexmeters, the abrasion-resistance and knuckle protection from the gloves. That would be a good combo when the temperature creeps below 5°C, with cold rains and treacherous roads full of wet leaves and patches of frost...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The most fiddly thing I found with mine was the straps getting  stuck to each other or reclosing prematurely and too tight mid way through insertion/removal of my hand. Now when I take mine off I fist my hand when it is halfway between the velcro straps therefore spreading the guard plates open to the point i stretch the side material a little. While like this I refasten the straps. I then relax my hand and pull it out. I find doing this is an easy way to fasten the straps loosely ready for storage (vs trying to close them when fully removed and everything is floppy) and keeps them nice and tidy but allows your hand in and out. I find keeping those straps under control makes it easy to just slip them on and off. When putting them on just slip your hand in and then open and close the straps to desired fit. When fitting them I find I get the best fit by pushing the plates up my arm and then tightening the forearm strap first followed by the wrist strap. When tightening I pull the strap up and towards my body and then keeping the tension wrap it  under my arm and secure it. 

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

I had another idea, that I'm bouncing around in my head. Finding a cheapo but reasonably good pair of MC-gloves with knuckle protection and palm-padding, then getting a one sided pair of flexmeters and then bonding them together... Finding a skid-pad to add to it won't be too hard.

So the best of two worlds: The overextension protection from the flexmeters, the abrasion-resistance and knuckle protection from the gloves. That would be a good combo when the temperature creeps below 5°C, with cold rains and treacherous roads full of wet leaves and patches of frost...

May I ask why you'd do this instead of just getting the Flexmeter gloves (and maybe adding some skid plates to them)? Just trying to understand your reasoning.:efee47c9c8:

49 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

May I ask why you'd do this instead of just getting the Flexmeter gloves (and maybe adding some skid plates to them)? Just trying to understand your reasoning.:efee47c9c8:

Mainly because of the finger and knuckle protection. But as I said, it's just an idea that bounces around in my head...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

The most fiddly thing I found with mine was the straps getting  stuck to each other or reclosing prematurely and too tight mid way through insertion/removal of my hand. Now when I take mine off I fist my hand when it is halfway between the velcro straps therefore spreading the guard plates open to the point i stretch the side material a little. While like this I refasten the straps. I then relax my hand and pull it out. I find doing this is an easy way to fasten the straps loosely ready for storage (vs trying to close them when fully removed and everything is floppy) and keeps them nice and tidy but allows your hand in and out. I find keeping those straps under control makes it easy to just slip them on and off. When putting them on just slip your hand in and then open and close the straps to desired fit. When fitting them I find I get the best fit by pushing the plates up my arm and then tightening the forearm strap first followed by the wrist strap. When tightening I pull the strap up and towards my body and then keeping the tension wrap it  under my arm and secure it. 

very good tipps! Exactly what was my problem...will try what you said :-)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I finally ordered the Flexmeters, size L, for hand width 20-20.5 cm and hand length 18.5-19 cm. Probably better than M. Will tell if they fit.

Also, the Flexmeter Gloves seem to be EOLed (at least the double sided ones I asked about), but looks like they're cooking up something new.

80869.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1