Respect the King

Maximus

So, I've been riding my V8 for about 3 months now, no problems, and I've pushed the wheel pretty hard.

In contrast, I've been riding my new KS-14C for about one day and I now have my first official faceplant :facepalm:

It was everything I thought it would be. First off, it had to happen in front of three young dudes shooting hoops. I cruised by playing some Bob Marley from the sweet KS speakers and then turned around at the end of the road and proceeded to crank back past them....I heard the beeps warning me that I was going too fast, but before I could back off and lean backward the wheel just stopped. My whole body fell forward like I was in slow motion. I tried to put a foot down but I was going about 15mph, so running this out was not going to happen. All I remember was my hands going forward and the realization that I was going to take huge digger in front of these guys. Much to my surprise, I popped up rather quickly. My wheel bounced around a bit, but I was in one piece!  It was a miracle. My fleece jacket wasn't ripped, I was in shorts, not even a scratch on my knees!  My wrist guards were ground down quite a bit, but only on the plastic, none of the leather or glove material was damaged. I hit my elbows pretty hard and had road rash, but oddly no damage to my clothes other than some tears of my shorts by my left hip. I'm sore. I can tell the brunt of the fall was obsorbed by my wrists and hip, but all in all I feel extremely fortunate.

My ego took a hit, but on the plus side it has served as a reminder to slow down. It also is a reminder of how awesome the inmotion wheels are. Seriously, I've pushed the limits of my V8 and no concern even entered my mind about it cutting out.  I like the KingSong wheel, right up until it cut out I was thinking "damn, I might like this more than my V8!"...

Anyway, for any new rider of a KS-14C, be careful, and wear your safety gear :)

I had 1 and 2 off (yup, smart move) and 3 was at 27 and 4 was at 30.

now I've got 24, 25, 26, and 27.

Seriously though, why didn't it just tilt me back like my V8 always did?  I never even felt tiltback just heard those stupid beeps!  

12 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

What do you have the alarms set at on the KS14C ?

Allen

I've got my alarms set too, to try and know when I'm approaching max speed. Is there a good reason to turn them off?

i ask because I face planted bad. I'd like to be safer if possible.

i also never felt a tilt back. I'm not sure what a kingsong tilt back feels like. Maybe compared to my minipro tiltback.

26 minutes ago, Maximus said:

My whole body fell forward like I was in slow motion. I tried to put a foot down but I was going about 15mph, so running this out was not going to happen.

"Ayuh"

( the traditional word for "yes" in the dialect of Maine)

Sounds like a bad fall, hope you recover.

My physical therapist , following a broken shoulder injury from a faceplant, says that raising my arm a certain way may never recover but if I move it forward a little when I raise it everything will work as expected and....still...no pushups for me at this time.

5 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I had 1 and 2 off (yup, smart move) and 3 was at 27 and 4 was at 30.

now I've got 24, 25, 26, and 27.

Seriously though, why didn't it just tilt me back like my V8 always did?  I never even felt tiltback just heard those stupid beeps!  

For me on my KS18AY (probably can be used basically the same way, just different speeds), I basically have my alarms set up like you did before you set alarms 1 and 2 to speed other than '0'.   3rd alarm is to tell you that you really shouldn't go any faster.  4th alarm is last warning.

Were you by any chance accelerating at a very fast rate ?
(Your 14c will probably accelerate faster than my 18AY.)

Allen

10 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I've got my alarms set too, to try and know when I'm approaching max speed. Is there a good reason to turn them off?

i ask because I face planted bad. I'd like to be safer if possible.

i also never felt a tilt back. I'm not sure what a kingsong tilt back feels like. Maybe compared to my minipro tiltback.

Turn off the 1st and 2nd alarm.  (3rd alarm about 2-3kph slower than max speed; 4th alarm max speed) That way, when you hear an alarm you know that you hadn't better go any faster.
@Jason McNeil recommended this type of alarm settings to me and I really like it.  No more constant beeping when I know that I'm no where near the max speed.

On my KS18AY, the tilt back is sudden, unlike my Inmotion V8 the tilt back is much less harsh.

Allen

9 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

"Ayuh"

( the traditional word for "yes" in the dialect of Maine)

Sounds like a bad fall, hope you recover.

My physical therapist , following a broken shoulder injury from a faceplant, says that raising my arm a certain way may never recover but if I move it forward a little when I raise it everything will work as expected and....still...no pushups for me at this time.

Ayuh, sounds bout right :) 

Seriously though, I feel pretty fortunate that I rode off. I think I probably should have had worse injuries given how fast I was going. 

Were you by any chance accelerating at a very fast rate ?

Yes, definitely accelerate quickly. It seemed like the only way to appropriately show off in front of my audience...I know this sounds like I was "asking for it" but when all of your experience is on a V8 and it's been rock solid doing the same stuff, why would I think this wheel would be any different?

Turn off the 1st and 2nd alarm.  (3rd alarm about 2-3kph slower than max speed; 4th alarm max speed) That way, when you hear an alarm you know that you hadn't better go any faster.

So what's the max speed on the KS-14C, 28kph?

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

All I remember was my hands going forward and the realization that I was going to take huge digger in front of these guys.

Very strange thing about us humans, is that we worry less about the huge digger, than we do about being in front of these guys.  Me too, for sure.

6 minutes ago, dpong said:

Very strange thing about us humans, is that we worry less about the huge digger, than we do about being in front of these guys.  Me too, for sure.

It's funny how much can go through your brain in a split second. I keep replaying it over and over...zero control, speed, pavement, shit, those guys aren't impressed anymore....

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

So what's the max speed on the KS-14C, 28kph?

My understanding is 30kph. I think the fastest I've ridden mine is 28kph, which seems pretty damn fast on a 14" wheel. Only the last alarm is enabled, and it's set to 30kph. On all my wheels I stay below the max speed (if only by 1 or 2 mph) and that's served me well. I've never experienced a cutout and plan on keeping it that way.

Congrats on surviving your fall.

Ok ok

Ive been testing all morning. Set tiltback st 10 just to feel it. It is severe but totally rideable. Next I set last alarm and tiltback at 27 just to be safe. Tilts and beeps. Cannot be missed.

thanks abinder for the idea.

@Maximus  Congrat to your first virgin face-plant. Most of us never realized its existence until actually happened. Also glad that you are not hurt. My virgin face-plant left me a bloody lip, scratched knees and wrist. So you were very lucky!

The first time is always unforgettable!

I think the reason the Kingsong got cut off is not what you think. Acceleration is no problem for the 800w motor and the huge battery. The issue is the angle of the board. When you tried to accelerate maybe you lean too far to the front, that the circuit board thought the wheel was on the ground. It's more easily triggered if you calibrate the wheel to be slightly tilt back. There is a threshold that the board consider to be acceleration or the wheel is lying down. If the threshold is passed, then the board simply do what it programed to do: power-down when the wheel is down.

It even happened to me when I used my old EUC, only the speed was so low that I managed to ran out.

So the whole lesson is, wear your protection, face-plant just happens.

46 minutes ago, Philip W said:

The issue is the angle of the board. When you tried to accelerate maybe you lean too far to the front, that the circuit board thought the wheel was on the ground. It's more easily triggered if you calibrate the wheel to be slightly tilt back.

Prior to the "faceplant ride" I re-calibrated the pedals so that they had the slight backward tilt.  It was much more comfortable than it had been prior, where I felt like I was going to fall forward during acceleration.  So I don't think, in this case, the board was thinking that the wheel was lying down.  I appreciate the suggestions, but at this point I'm almost convinced that the issue is one that @DaveThomasPilot was eluding to here:

24 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Prior to the "faceplant ride" I re-calibrated the pedals so that they had the slight backward tilt.

Exactly! Do you know Kingsong will stop the wheel when left or right leaning angle is over 45 degree? That means if the board thinks the wheel tilt to the left or right over 45 degree it will suddenly shut down, and it will only beep once before it cuts the power. See? This fit your description of the incident perfectly! If this is a battery cut-off you will not hear any warning sound. If this is a over-speed you will feel the Ollie tilt-back. So I think what happened in your incident is that somehow the leaning is over 45 degree. Probably 45 degree applies to front and back tilting as well.

1 minute ago, Philip W said:

Exactly! Do you know Kingsong will stop the wheel when left or right leaning angle is over 45 degree? That means if the board thinks the wheel tilt to the left or right over 45 degree it will suddenly shut down, and it will only beep once before it cuts the power. See? This fit your description of the incident perfectly! If this is a battery cut-off you will not hear any warning sound.

I think there is a little confusion here, at least on my part...

1) I heard a beeping noise (not sure how many beeps) just prior to the cutout as I was accelerating hard and I believe (guessing) I hit my 3rd alarm threshold of 27kph (alarm 1 and 2 were off).

2) I was going straight when the cutout occurred not turning left or right and certainly nothing was at a 45 degree angle (except my body at some point while flying through the air :))

3) In your first comment I thought you were talking about forward and back leaning?  I thought you were saying that the board was confused into thinking I was too far forward, hence your suggestion of a slight tilt back for the resting position of the pedals?  

Am I missing something here?  Are you saying that while traveling straight the wheel could be confused into thinking that I am at a 45 degree angle and will turn off because I have my pedals tilted slightly backward?

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

Next I set last alarm and tiltback at 27 just to be safe. Tilts and beeps.

So you have both your "Class 3 Alarm" and "Ollie Speed" at 27kph?

Yep. Trying it like this. I'm heavy and don't wanna go to 30. The tiltback doesn't bother me at all though. Some people seem to hate it. For me it seems to just slow me down some and give my feet a rest.

2 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Yep. Trying it like this. I'm heavy and don't wanna go to 30. The tiltback doesn't bother me at all though. Some people seem to hate it. For me it seems to just slow me down some and give my feet a rest.

I'm going with 3rd at 25, tilt back at 27...

Hopefully my fall had more to do with rapid acceleration than anything else...?  I really didn't think I was pushing it TOO hard, but maybe it's just because I was used to the inmotion wheel, who knows?  Isn't there some issue with KingSongs where your speeds are reduced when you start running low on battery power?  Maybe I was lower on power than I thought, but just didn't realize it?  I'm pretty sure I should have been in the 50% power range at least...

4 minutes ago, Maximus said:

3) In your first comment I thought you were talking about forward and back leaning?  I thought you were saying that the board was confused into thinking I was too far forward, hence your suggestion of a slight tilt back for the resting position of the pedals?  

Am I missing something here?  Are you saying that while traveling straight the wheel could be confused into thinking that I am at a 45 degree angle and will turn off because I have my pedals tilted slightly backward?

I don't actually know the threshold angle of forward and backward. I only know the left and right cut off threshold is 45.

However, suppose that it exist and it's 45 degree, if you calibrate the wheel to be slightly backward, then forward threshold is no long 45, maybe 40, and backward threshold becomes 50. So you are easier to fall while accelerating, if there were a threshold for front and back. Just a theory.

Another theory is, when you lean forward, the board sensor didn't calculate the left and right angle properly. The result exaggerated the left and right angle so you are more vulnerable to the cut-off while speeding.

Anyway, my whole point is, beware of the left and right angle cut-off factor. It might be the reason you fell. I just find it odd that when you are speeding, the wheel didn't give you a kick back, instead a sudden cut-off. It just didn't make sense to me.

Archived