Something I noticed... and I just wanna say thank you

Shabba

About a year and a half ago I purchased an inspire from DJI which is the biggest drone manufacturer in the world so I decided to join the forum because the inspire is not a beginner drone, shortly after joining I noticed that people on there are mean, nasty and very very rude, it seems like you had to be an advance pilot to join the forum because the beginners got treated like S.H.I.T. Including me. Guys on there actually started threatening each other. It was not a good experience to visit at all. This forum is the total opposite you guys are very very nice and very helpful no matter how simple or dumb the question may be, I feel very comfortable asking anything on this forum, some guys even go above and beyond to help others make a purchase decision and always give their honest opinion, it's a joy to visit this forum and I have to admit some of you guys are pretty funny ?. In closing I just wanna say keep it up guys, really appreciate it ??

It's great to hear such nice feedback about this group. It is a nice place to hang out. I've certainly learned a lot from being here.

:thumbup:

My impression of everyone here, with no exceptions, is every rider is self-confident. Confident people do not feel the need to make fun of other people in order to feel better about themselves.

Why is that so? I see riding a unicycle in public requires (or at least I do) a certain confidence in one's self, and the ability to laugh at one's self at lot (lost count of the number of times I've dropped my wheel in the middle of intersections) that we just do not care about crapping on others.

Personally, I feel it's difficult to be a wanker to newbies when I myself keep falling off my unicycle. Pride goeth before the fall and all that.

I've belonged to other forums like motorcycle forums, and people care a lot about looking cool and styling. I think a lot of the bad behavior from public forums comes from pride. Let me tell you, being in unicycles where you fall...a lot...you will need that quiet self-confidence to pick yourself up.

The rollerblade forum is kinda the same way. Integrity through adversity and all that.

I wub you guys too. :)

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

My impression of everyone here, with no exceptions, is every rider is self-confident. Confident people do not feel the need to make fun of other people in order to feel better about themselves.

Why is that so? I see riding a unicycle in public requires (or at least I do) a certain confidence in one's self, and the ability to laugh at one's self at lot (lost count of the number of times I've dropped my wheel in the middle of intersections) that we just do not care about crapping on others.

Personally, I feel it's difficult to be a wanker to newbies when I myself keep falling off my unicycle. Pride goeth before the fall and all that.

I've belonged to other forums like motorcycle forums, and people care a lot about looking cool and styling. I think a lot of the bad behavior from public forums comes from pride. Let me tell you, being in unicycles where you fall...a lot...you will need that quiet self-confidence to pick yourself up.

The rollerblade forum is kinda the same way. Integrity through adversity and all that.

Some people (myself included) sometimes have bad days, and might come out as a bit "off-the-cuff" in their comments, but so far I don't remember any case of moderators having the need to ban anyone (excluding spammers, but as the first posts of new members need to be allowed by moderators, they never get through, so you never see them). There's been some occasions where we've had to post something like asking people to calm down, but it has never gone past that, at least as I remember. Probably one of the only topics that sometimes gets a bit heated up (but not into a shouting match or anyone being really rude or such) is safety gear, typically whether helmets should be used or not, but that's about it... To which my response is "I still wear full gear always when riding, and look ridiculous... so what, hope you remember how good you used to look when you still had all your teeth" ;) 

12 hours ago, Shabba said:

About a year and a half ago I purchased an inspire from DJI which is the biggest drone manufacturer in the world so I decided to join the forum because the inspire is not a beginner drone, shortly after joining I noticed that people on there are mean, nasty and very very rude, it seems like you had to be an advance pilot to join the forum because the beginners got treated like S.H.I.T. Including me. Guys on there actually started threatening each other. It was not a good experience to visit at all.

Wow... I'll have to remember not to buy a DJI product. :huh: How strange... I can't even think of a reason I'd want to be nasty to someone interested in talking about a hobby that I also enjoy.

Was the forum mostly populated by professional photographers and videographers using drones in their work? I guess if you're afraid of professional competition, you might try to hold others down or get defensive of your reputation. Money (and politics) brings out the worst in people...

4 minutes ago, Obly said:

Wow... I'll have to remember not to buy a DJI product. :huh: How strange... I can't even think of a reason I'd want to be nasty to someone interested in talking about a hobby that I also enjoy.

Was the forum mostly populated by professional photographers and videographers using drones in their work? I guess if you're afraid of professional competition, you might try to hold others down or get defensive of your reputation. Money (and politics) brings out the worst in people...

There were some guys that have been flying for some years but there were also alot of guys that were fairly new to the hobby and have never owned a drone as advanced as the inspire, it got so bad that some guys got threatened to have their account deleted from the forum, crazy.

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I agree.  Apparently a huge percentage of people who buy EUC's are over 50.  I know I am.  I don't think you can picture yourself at over 50 years old riding a unicycle in public without being okay with looking a little weird, comically ineffectual, even ridiculous ... at least sometimes.  When I grew up, the only people who rode unicycles were bears.

And of course it takes a less uptight young person to try something out of the ordinary, too.

So people on the forums probably tend to be more laid-back than most.  Lucky us!

3 hours ago, Obly said:

I've seen it with MMORPG, poker, poetry, music, and other forums too.  I think a lot of it comes from the top down via poor moderation and people cultivating cliques and egos.  There are always going to be some bad apples, and sometimes they get left in to spoil the barrel.  

I think these and some gardening forums are the nicest ones I can recall being part of.  It's hard to get angry about gardening.  And being competitive about it would be just weird.

8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I've seen it with MMORPG, poker, poetry, music, and other forums too.  I think a lot of it comes from the top down via poor moderation and people cultivating cliques and egos.  There are always going to be some bad apples, and sometimes they get left in to spoil the barrel.  

I think these and some gardening forums are the nicest ones I can recall being part of.  It's hard to get angry about gardening.  And being competitive about it would be just weird.

Ha, well yeah, I've definitely seen that kind of bad behavior in gamer forums. But that's because they're full of whiny, self-centered twerps who want everything in the game for free, instantly, and live in a perpetual state of being pissed off when they can't have it (no offense to any gamers here; there are awesome gamers out there too, just... outnumbered).

You'd hope that people talking about poetry and music would be better behaved, but I guess it's not that surprising. Any topic that engenders strong opinions about what is "better" than something else will eventually make some people be nasty to each other.

So great, when Team King Song and Team Gotway finally clash for an epic smackdown, all the niceness in here is done for... :furious: :facepalm:

As @MaxLinux pointed out the is a very supportive place and i think that is the root of it. 

We are all here because of our interest in EUC's. They are not perfect and have their faults, sometimes do unexpected things, they may be illegal to ride in many countries and when you are out riding its very very rare to meet another EUC nut. So the only place we have to talk, get support and interact with others of a like mind is here. 

Archived