Out of Body Experience: Where in the World is my V8?

Chris Westland

Still trying to make sense of my "route" from my Inmotion App.  I've taken several trips on my Inmotion V8 now up and down Chicago's lakefront trails, and the Inmotion App shows me running around Benton Harbour MI ... anyone else had similar "out of body" experiences?  (The last map is from Cyclemeter and is my true path and performance history; the first two are from the Inmotion App for the same trip ... it almost looks like its inverted in some way)

IMG_4710 2.PNG

IMG_4711.PNG

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 2.22.56 PM.png

Yeah, what's happening there is that a rift in the space / time continuum has caused your app to slip into a parallel dimension in which America is slightly over to the right.

Seriously - no idea why that is :) 

48 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, what's happening there is that a rift in the space / time continuum has caused your app to slip into a parallel dimension in which America is slightly over to the right.

Seriously - no idea why that is :) 

Wait ... wait ... I think America has shifted alt-right :o

It's not just location, but Cyclemeter (which has been pretty reliable) clocks me at speeds up to 27 mph (without any noticable tilt-back) even though my V8 is limited through its app to 19 mph (I have it on max).  It's easy to get velocitized on the Chicago bike trails, so my speed increases without me noticing, but I definitely notice the 20+ speeds because the EUC behaves differently.   

10 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

It's not just location, but Cyclemeter (which has been pretty reliable) clocks me at speeds up to 27 mph (without any noticable tilt-back) even though my V8 is limited through its app to 19 mph (I have it on max).

27 mph or kmh?   If it's mph, whew!  That's fast.  If the V8 can go even 19 mph, that's fast too.

13 hours ago, steve454 said:

27 mph or kmh?   If it's mph, whew!  That's fast.  If the V8 can go even 19 mph, that's fast too.

That's what I said! ... but it's 27 MPH (not KMH) per my Cyclemeter report (which computes from GPS coordinates, that by the map seem to be precise within a few meters).   The V8 with its 800w motor and 84v battery is pretty torque-y, so I think the max speed could be pretty high.  But 27MPH is not safe, and I'm actively monitoring my speeds now.   My Inmotion V8 App has set max speed to 19 mph, so I expected tiltback, but I'm not getting it.  I may give @Jason McNeil a call to ask him if he has any suggestions.  The fact that the map and speed limits are both off suggests I may need an App update.

@Chris Westland, haven't heard of other reports off overspeed behaviour before.

While riding the Wheel (with suitable protection :)), can you see if you can break & hold the 20MPH barrier as purported by the Inmotion App? In my experience nearly all GPS Apps occasionally give aberrant max speed readings if the handset hasn't locked onto enough satellites.

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Chris Westland, haven't heard of other reports off overspeed behaviour before.

While riding the Wheel (with suitable protection :)), can you see if you can break & hold the 20MPH barrier as purported by the Inmotion App? In my experience nearly all GPS Apps occasionally give aberrant max speed readings if the handset hasn't locked onto enough satellites.

I haven't checked this out Jason, but will (the experiments are ongoing ... as long as this Spring weather holds out in Chicago :)).   I'm skeptical about the 27 mph, but I've used Cyclemeter quite a bit, and it seems to be pretty accurate.  Also, I know when I was hitting the high speeds.  The Chicago lakefront path is relatively smooth and the V8 handles extremely well, but I am passing everyone at these speeds.   The thing is that I am not getting any tiltback at anytime on the V8.  When I switch over to the IPS Zero, the tiltback is really noticable in contrast, and reliably comes on when I am at lower speeds than the V8 (I have the max set at 30kph on the Zero).  

22 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

The thing is that I am not getting any tiltback at anytime on the V8

You can set the max speed to any value, have you tried to set it to, say, 6mph and still don't get tilt-back?

16 hours ago, Mono said:

You can set the max speed to any value, have you tried to set it to, say, 6mph and still don't get tilt-back?

I do get tiltback at the lower speeds.  I need to compare Cyclemeter's speeds and the stated max on the Inmotion App to see if they correspond ... I've been having too much fun just getting out during Chicago's Indian Spring ;).

Archived