ACM or MSuper for the Wife

Merrittous MonoWheel

Hello,

I am looking for some feedback on which would be the better wheel for my wife.  

We currently have and Ninebot E+ that we are learning on (i.e. we are both very new to EUC's).  While I enjoy the Ninebot I find myself always wanting more speed and distance so I ordered the Monster 2400W for myself.   Now I want to surprise the wife with something comparable.  I think it would be fun for her to open her own box at the same time as I release the Monster into the unsuspecting wilds.  

Some background:

-New to EUC's

-We are both "older" by some standards

-she is 5ft 4inches and in awesome shape but the Monster would be too big for her

-her commute to work is only 2km so anything would work for that

-I want to be able to do some recreational riding in the hills and abandoned rail lines around here so no smaller than 16" wheel

- Not sure on about ultimate distances but I don't want it to be an issue.

Candidates (in my mind) are all in the Gotway line as I am getting them from @RideTheGlide and want them to arrive at the same time: Msuper 1600W or 820W (trolly handle means no lifting) or ACM 1300W or 820W (lighter units).

Looking for your thoughts.

Given you are content with a 480Wh battery, the InMotion V8 is IMHO the best choice. It is the lightest and least voluminous 16" wheel with an excellent driving controller, excellent pedals and it seems well thought through an almost every aspect.

Yeah InMotion feels so tight and responsive compared to Gotway I just wish they had more range.  Speed is definitely fine on V8 for my liking but range leaves much to be desired.  I just got an Msuper V3S+ and I am liking the bigger wheel and the distance but wish it handled like the V8. 

22 minutes ago, Mono said:

Given you are content with a 480Wh battery, the InMotion V8 is IMHO the best choice. It is the lightest and least voluminous 16" wheel with an excellent driving controller, excellent pedals and it seems well thought through an almost every aspect.

Hello @Mono  Thanks for the response.  I am interested in different brands in the future but for now I want to stick to Gotway so both our wheels come to the door at the same time. This will be a surprise for the wife:-)

6 minutes ago, Scott Ryan said:

Yeah InMotion feels so tight and responsive compared to Gotway I just wish they had more range.  Speed is definitely fine on V8 for my liking but range leaves much to be desired.  I just got an Msuper V3S+ and I am liking the bigger wheel and the distance but wish it handled like the V8. 

Hello @Scott Ryan given you have the msuper do you feel it would be to big for my wife?

1 minute ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Hello @Mono  Thanks for the response.  I am interested in different brands in the future but for now I want to stick to Gotway so both our wheels come to the door at the same time. This will be a surprise for the wife:-)

If you are set on Gotway I would go with MSuper V3S+ the 1600W should do well on range with your Monster depending on weight difference it may be similar but the Monster would definitely outlast.  That battery is insane. 

2 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Hello @Scott Ryan given you have the msuper do you feel it would be to big for my wife?

It is certainly heavy especially coming from a ninebot but it should be okay if she is in decent shape as you described.  You cannot whip it around like a smaller wheel though so there is some adjustment.  It took me about an hour after riding a V8 for awhile to get used to the softness of the MSuper but after that it is okay.  I could not ride a Gotway in any other mode than the hardest though it feels like how a drunk looks when they are walking home from the bar.  

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Merrittous MonoWheel Wow, is your wife very strong? Everything model you've named are at least 37lbs or more, and in some situations (stairs, etc.), you have to lift and carry an EUC. 

Hello @houseofjob weight is one of my concerns. I don't expect that she would need to lift it up stairs. The reason I was thinking the msuper was the built in trolley handle.  It is also why I am a bit concerned about the ACM as it may need to be lifted. Say for shopping or when she gets to work.   This would be ok if the ride and handling was good.  I guess we could always keep the Ninebot for those times:-)

10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Merrittous MonoWheel Wow, is your wife very strong? Everything model you've named are at least 37lbs or more, and in some situations (stairs, etc.), you have to lift and carry an EUC. 

Hello @houseofjob weight is one of my concerns. I don't expect that she would need to lift it up stairs. The reason I was thinking the msuper was the built in trolley handle.  It is also why I am a bit concerned about the ACM as it may need to be lifted. Say for shopping or when she gets to work.   This would be ok if the ride and handling was good.  I guess we could always keep the Ninebot for those times:-)

Oh no~, Luffy only for work travel, as that is one of the main reasons I'm getting mine (I live in NYC < 1 mile from work).

If weight is no issue, then any 84V Gotway should do (better efficiency, less known bugs/issues).

But the few female riders I've encountered all complain of the weight of EUCs in non-riding situations, and none will dare do close to the max speeds of Gotway wheels.

Also, FWIW, the trolley handles on Gotway EUCs are not nearly the quality, sturdiness, or ease of EUCs trolleys like the InMotion wheels or the new KingSong LED-based wheels (KS16, KS14D), as this is not the priority of Gotway.

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Oh no~, Luffy only for work travel, as that is one of the main reasons I'm getting mine (I live in NYC < 1 mile from work).

If weight is no issue, then any 84V Gotway should do (better efficiency, less known bugs/issues).

But the few female riders I've encountered all complain of the weight of EUCs in non-riding situations, and none will dare do close to the max speeds of Gotway wheels.

Also, FWIW, the trolley handles on Gotway EUCs are not nearly the quality, sturdiness, or ease of EUCs trolleys like the InMotion wheels or the new KingSong LED-based wheels (KS16, KS14D), as this is not the priority of Gotway.

Hello. That is interesting about the handle.  If the handle is no good i would need to get her a much lighter wheel.  

Has as anyone else had experience with the trolley handle on the Msuper?

13 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Hello. That is interesting about the handle.  If the handle is no good i would need to get her a much lighter wheel.  

Has as anyone else had experience with the trolley handle on the Msuper?

The handle is awkward on Msuper.  I think it is because it is in the back and feels clumsy to control IMO because of this.  I do use for crossing streets in certain areas due to rules but the handles where you walk beside are much easier to control than pushing or pulling.  If she wouldn't need to use it for a long distance its not an issue. 

Hello @Scott Ryan, she would only need the trolley in the grocery store or to get the unit into her classroom (she is a teacher:-).  From what I have seen on the Youtube if you are pushing with the unit on it moves easy, as you said for short distances.

I am really torn as to which way to go.  I don't want to over or under power her or she may loose interest.  It looks like all the units that I am looking at for her are going to be heavy in order to get some range.  I may need to focus on ride quality as the differentiator.  Tough call.

If the wheel is too heavy she may not be able to maneuver it?  If the wheel is too small she may not be able to handle rougher terrain?   I may just keep the Ninebot for her to commute with (I tried the route today and it is not too bad) and get her an 18" wheel for recreational and trail use.  However, as much as I like these wheels, I don't really want a bunch lying around the house so one wheel that she could use for both is better in that regard.

Hmm...the quest for answers continues.

30 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Hello @Scott Ryan, she would only need the trolley in the grocery store or to get the unit into her classroom (she is a teacher:-).  From what I have seen on the Youtube if you are pushing with the unit on it moves easy, as you said for short distances.

I am really torn as to which way to go.  I don't want to over or under power her or she may loose interest.  It looks like all the units that I am looking at for her are going to be heavy in order to get some range.  I may need to focus on ride quality as the differentiator.  Tough call.

If the wheel is too heavy she may not be able to maneuver it?  If the wheel is too small she may not be able to handle rougher terrain?   I may just keep the Ninebot for her to commute with (I tried the route today and it is not too bad) and get her an 18" wheel for recreational and trail use.  However, as much as I like these wheels, I don't really want a bunch lying around the house so one wheel that she could use for both is better in that regard.

Hmm...the quest for answers continues.

Yeah it is a tough call.  I am 5'7 180lbs and i would not want to lug around the MSuper for along period of time.  Get a 50lb dumbbell and see how she can pick it up and move it around.  I believe the ACM 1300W is around 41lbs and still excellent range.

4 hours ago, Mono said:

Second that!

I think you are artificially limiting your choices with this " they both have to arrive at the same time" thing.  If that's so crucial, have both wheels delivered somewhere else; work, parents, best friend, trusted neighbor, and when they are both there, you can surprise her however you want, be creative even. My2c

If your choice must between the two then I would suggest the ACM because it's smaller. And the 820wh version might be best because it's not so wide. But I do think she'd would probably like the V8 more since it's a much slimmer wheel yet powerful and fast. The MSuper is a really big wheel for a 5' 4'' woman (or man).

I think you should ask your wife:) a good choice might be better long term than the surprise (and if you surprise, don't be constrained by same time delivery as @Smoother said).

To the people recommending V8, is it significantly different to the Ninebot? I've seen neither but I'm wondering if it's not two quite similar wheels.

edit: have you considered the Kingsongs? Higher range/capacity than V8 and better comfort/build quality than the GWs (great handle, light etc)

28 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To the people recommending V8, is it significantly different to the Ninebot?

While I cannot comment from personal experience, I saw a German EUC shop owner riding the V8 for the first time on vid. When he stepped down he said this: I finally found, after two years, my Ninebot replacement. So it appears to be a significant upgrade in riding experience. Apart from that, it has an integrated trolley, light, an unbreakable handle, automatic off switch while lifting...

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To the people recommending V8, is it significantly different to the Ninebot? I've seen neither but I'm wondering if it's not two quite similar wheels.

The V8 feels like what the Ninebot One series should've become.

Better speed, better range, better handling (drivetrain), better agility (high pedals), better tiltback, better trolley, better app, better weight (lighter), better amenities (handle disengage, bright headlight, side fixtures for standing upright), better firmware (more reliable)....

22 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

side fixtures for standing upright

forgot this one, they are quite a little detail but pretty cool, I m using them all the time, and they show the attitude of InMotion to really get every detail right.

Archived