ACM or MSuper for the Wife

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

There does seems to be an InMotion Canada, but I cannot vouch for it as legit or authorized.

Well vetted and active on the forums, super distrib @Jason McNeil / eWheels.com (based in Miami) does seem to ship to Canada.

And it's also hard to complain about their current offer, a V8 for $999.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

And it's also hard to complain about their current offer, a V8 for $999.

So I checked out the V8 and chatted with Jason.  As mentioned, the V8 looks like an evolved E+.  Nice wheel overall.  Unfortunately, I don't think the range is going to be enough though.  I haven't done any long trips as I am disappointed in the Ninebot range.  With the hills around town and my weight I get about 15km (@-3C).  My wife would probably get closer to the advertised ranges (regardless of hills) given her weight and propensity for comfort(she doesn't like the cold).  However, going to a 820W or 1600W range adds significant size and weight.

This brings up another question, how long do people usually ride on a recreational basis at one time?  I may be trying to attain excess performance that won't be needed and will only be a hassle for her to handle.  Is 30-50km enough or do you find yourself going longer distances? If it was just for her commute the E+ would be more than fine but I am hoping for day trips maybe an overnight?  I don't even know if this is feasible.

Again looking forward to everyones comments

I don't do long country trips, but I am sure other people here do :P

As a possible fall back option you could buy a second battery and take it on the trip. The V8 is designed such that one can change the battery without too much effort. I never disconnected or changed the battery, but I found accessing the battery compartment not that painful (where some people have complained about). InMotion originally even advertised the V8 as having a changeable battery.

I love my V8.  It is definitely more "fun" than a larger wheel.  I haven't done a max range test but at 180lbs I bet I can get around 16 miles depending on terrain.  It feels like a toy next to the Msuper in weight comparison.  The light is very bright and the thing I love the most is the pedal height.  The range and top speed will not compete with Gotway but it has such a tight riding experience.  I ordered mine from ewheels and shipping was incredibly fast. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Ryan said:

the thing I love the most is the pedal height

I must agree that this is a real asset and it's so strange to be a unique selling point as it demands zero engineering skills to actually build "into" a wheel. It is in particular an asset when going into rougher terrain, but not only then.

Personally not much of a long-tripper, but the longest I've trekked was a total of 28km: 14km one-way, stopping at a cafe (could've charged, but didn't), then 14km back the same way. The purpose of this trip was to travel from the Upper West Side NYC to just across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey.

(for reference, I am 77kg, was on my KS18A mkII 800W 680WH; weather was mild to colder fall NYC weather; and the path was paved lanes the whole way).

I can say that this ended up being a tad longer than I cared to travel, then or now (for reference, I am in my 30's age-wise).

Half way back, I was wishing I was home already.

1 hour ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

do people usually ride on a recreational basis at one time?  I may be trying to attain excess performance that won't be needed and will only be a hassle for her to handle.  Is 30-50km enough or do you find yourself going longer distances? If it was just for her commute the E+ would be more than fine but I am hoping for day trips maybe an overnight?  I don't even know if this is feasible.

I enjoy long rides and have found 50km to be a long day. When I look at my ride log (am I the only one who maintains a ride log?) by far the majority of my rides are under 40km.

I did buy my Monster to enjoy the periodic 50 - 70km ride but that's not going to be happening very often.

Taking a ride for a couple of hours usually satisfies me, and any of the ~800wh machines will do that.

I have traveled 40km continuously without getting tired . Since I KS18 and, therefore, in the meantime, sitting rode ( Sitting on a fast ride appeals to me more than anything ! ).

Continuous journey, standing up, I've 30km and was stepping off the feet are a little dull, but not tired .

In summary, fatigues only when the drive stil lack self-confidence or even not quite know how to ride. After three seasons , I did not at all tired, and the wheel is like their feet . In most cases, not much free time as I would like to travel more ! :) 

(I bought two of the KS 18 with the wife of the for long ride but...  Oh, how I would like that my wife already own accord would come to ride .My wife goes to studying very hard, and he somehow did not want come to drive. The end of the season she drives only if I hold she hand :D ! )

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I enjoy long rides and have found 50km to be a long day. When I look at my ride log (am I the only one who maintains a ride log?) by far the majority of my rides are under 40km.

I did buy my Monster to enjoy the periodic 50 - 70km ride but that's not going to be happening very often.

Taking a ride for a couple of hours usually satisfies me, and any of the ~800wh machines will do that.

Thank you @Marty Backe  I was hoping that you would reply to this.  I have the Monster 2400Wh coming for myself as I have a lot more tolerance (interest?) in gliding then the wife.  I doubt I would be able to convince the wife to go for longer rides than you more than once:-) So that narrows it to an 800Wh wheel. 

Thanks again

I am seriously leaning towards the MSuper 820Wh at the moment.  Mostly due to the larger wheel for better off-road, Gotway because I trust the dealer, 820Wh for the range/weight balance and since all are too heavy for her to lug around anyway, the trolley seems a good work around.

Two main concerns:

1)Trolley reliability- Has anyone had any issues with this?

2)18" wheel for a smaller person- Again, has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks again for all the feedback

Wow, watching many French and Asian group ride YouTube, don't think I've ever seen a woman EUC-er ride an 18" wheel or the ACM! (and they have the most female riders per capita, most riders in general) 

In fact, one of our community rider's wife refuses to adopt the ACM, to his dismay~ (she moved from the S2 to a V8 and seems to love it)

Definitely will be interesting to see how she takes to it!

10 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Wow, watching many French and Asian group ride YouTube, don't think I've ever seen a woman EUC-er ride an 18" wheel or the ACM! (and they have the most female riders per capita, most riders in general) 

In fact, one of our community rider's wife refuses to adopt the ACM, to his dismay~ (she moved from the S2 to a V8 and seems to love it)

Definitely will be interesting to see how she takes to it!

Well, here comes perhaps once a woman 18 inch wheeler :D . As I wrote before learning does not go lightly but we also have a 16 inch wheel and the she will not be able to ride at all ! 16 inch wheel is low and make legs hurt !  

9 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

@Raptor that gives me hope that an 18" Wheel may work yet!

Hehehe :D ! Heavy wheels  and now to the stairs myself wear two wheels  2 x 22kg ! :D  From this forum, I stupid did not ask advice before buying and now I have to do physical exercise ! :D   ( NB!  As your own new wheel itself is already a very heavy  :) to prevent that from happening like mine , for test let the she to try something as heavy to raise !? )

1 hour ago, Raptor said:

Well, here comes perhaps once a woman 18 inch wheeler :D . As I wrote before learning does not go lightly but we also have a 16 inch wheel and the she will not be able to ride at all ! 16 inch wheel is low and make legs hurt !  

Am I being sexist by saying I'd like to see a lot of bikini clad women riding EUCs?  :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with a an ACM. It's a good allrounder and with the additional trolley bar a nice win. Very handy and stable to ride. I own a MSuperV2 but like to borrow the ACM from my wife and I'm a 100+ kg with 186 cm height. The ACM is very powerful.

Archived